Our next match ?

Winnipeg Fury

quote:Originally posted by David C.

Although we probably will go back to playing Euro games (to save money/flight times), it would be nice to see us organize a CONCACAF tourney with Jamaica, El Salvador and Cuba, to be played during the CONCACAF hex schedule.

What about Honduras?

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

The CSA did that ten years ago in Skydome. There was two prominent nations (Portugal was one I think) and it didn't that draw well.

Yeah, it was like Jan/Feb of 1995 at the Dome with Canada, Portugal and Denmark.

They each played each team once. I think Canada lost both their games and Portugal beat Denmark in the final.

I think the announced attendance was like 5 000 for the 2 Canadian games on weeknights. Portugal-Denmark I think drew about 15 000 on the weekend which was also the "championship" game. Pretty pathetic when there's like 100 000 Portuguese within a 1-2 hour drive of the Dome.

These international games are not as simple to put together as people seem to think they are. Although, ChampionsWorld seems to have found the key. But clubs are easier to deal with then national teams.

I remember the Danes complaining about the cement they had to play on. I think that tournament did more damage than good.

quote:Originally posted by Tim St.Pauli

Yeah, sure that is typical German, but all I wanted to say is that there could be more organization! I also know that Germany knows that they're only goung to have friendlies for a couple of years now, but they managed to arrange a match against the Netherlands which players are very busy in WCQ (and team matches including Champions league etc). So, compared to that with a well thought plan the CSA could have organized a friendly for February 2005 against a South American country already one year ago! Or a friendly in Europe against something like Australia or even an African side.

I fully agree, mein freund. (Is that proper German?) I was just having a bit of a piss-take. I've got Hun blood coursing my veins, to be honest. And a whole lot of Frankish blood, too. What does that make me? Canadian baby!

Vive le Canada!! Save the whales and please god, let Jonathon DeGuzman see the light and come play for us!!

Sorry, haven't been around for some time!

Yeah, yippie, that just perfect German!

"Hun" ;) Haha! I have some "Beaver blood" in my veins, I am a re-emigrant!

Maybe I should come over from good ol' Germany and try to hammer some goals in, can't get worse!

De Guz is really doing very well in Bundesliga here, love to see him!

Hey, if our women's team can get a free trip to Japan for soccer, then let's see if we can't find a free trip for our men. Hey, maybe the men should play against our national women's side. We'd probably pack Commonwealth stadium to the gills. Of course, nobody would be there to see the men. (See the "Shinola" thread.)

quote:Originally posted by gwallace76

Canada's next opponents will probably be Vatican City, or perhaps the Sovereign Military Order of Malta. I would suggest the Municipality of Monaco but they would probably lick our a$$. Sorry, just not too much to look forward to these days. [B)]

hmmmmmm, and the voyagers [8D]didn´t like my canada vs falkan islands and antartica game :(

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

Hey, if our women's team can get a free trip to Japan for soccer, then let's see if we can't find a free trip for our men. Hey, maybe the men should play against our national women's side. We'd probably pack Commonwealth stadium to the gills. Of course, nobody would be there to see the men. (See the "Shinola" thread.)

We could call it the Canada! vs. Canada? match. If he's providing commentary, Ol' Vic Rauter might lose his mind and s*it his pants not knowing who to cheer for.

The biggest problem would be with the CSA, as this opens a large kettle full of simmering problems. To whom should they funnel the gate receipts? Should they charge different ticket prices for those who intend to see the women's team rather then the men's and vice versa? Who does the CSA contact to set this battle of the sexes up? Does it contact itself? And if so, can the negotiation process business lunches be written-off? And how would the CSA decide with itself where to go for these lunches? Harvey's? Mr. Sub?

Wow man, this Canada! vs. Canada? thing just totally blows my mind!

An interesting idea Beaver,though it may completely rupture any split personality the CSA now has. This may be a good thing.

quote:Originally posted by juaninho

And if so, can the negotiation process business lunches be written-off? And how would the CSA decide with itself where to go for these lunches? Harvey's? Mr. Sub?

Wow man, this Canada! vs. Canada? thing just totally blows my mind!

Harvey's or Mr. Sub? They should flip a coin, since we're so good at winning them.

quote:Originally posted by truenorthsoccer

We are supposed to be playing again sometime in January from reports i've heard, nothing concrete, but chances are it will be a small European nation.

My sources--very reliable, mind you--suggest that our next game will be: Vatican City!

Hey, don't fuc.k with the Pope, man.[^]

Speaking of religion, I notice there are quite a few Middle Eastern and North African clubs in the top 40 FIFA rankings. I'd like to see Yallop issue some sort of fatwah to get any of those guys out to Commonwealth in March. Iran might be tough, but what about Saudi and Jordan to get ready for Gold Cup? We could call it the Black Gold Cup.

Yeah, Canada should focus on trying to attract sort of "2nd tier" teams like Iran, Saudi, etc. They would be as good competition as the Europeans would bring over. (Even though there's no reason for them to play us).

And they should do well at the gate. Most of these countries have huge ex-pat communities over here. And when Iran played in Toronto and Edmonton a couple years ago, supposedly Iranians from Los Angeles were flying in for the game.

Your Nats should try to get into the camp we are holding in California next month. I believe it is with Sweden and South Korea. It does seem like we need a fourth team to even things out,but then again we may invite Mexico. The more the merrier I say!

quote:Originally posted by SamIAm

Your Nats should try to get into the camp we are holding in California next month. I believe it is with Sweden and South Korea. It does seem like we need a fourth team to even things out,but then again we may invite Mexico. The more the merrier I say!

While it would be nice to be there we are not prepared, we need major changes in our program that won't happen over night.

Canada should be looking at playing nations like ,Wales,

Ireland,Luxembourg and some of the small former russian states

to find competition.

Archived