Names for Edmonton team?

Anyone got any good suggestions as to what the Edmonton A-League team should be called? I remember seeing some good ones, but I can't remember.

I'll throw a few out there.. but they all sound like High School teams to me. It would be nice to get a balance between "hot" names like the "Edmonton Extreme" and "plain" ones like "Edmonton Eagles"

Edmonton Saints?

Edmonton Captials?

http://www.fifaconcacaf.com/strobe_z/Voyageurs.swf

I think we need something unique. I like "Extreme", but I think it's taken by some North American team somewhere.

Living in the shadow of Commonwealth Stadium, I can tell you I feel the weariness of old Edmonton names

like "Drillers", "Oil", "Black Gold", Northewesters", etc. I also don't like the idea of some Birtophile names like "United", "Town" , "City", "United", "County".

How about the "Edmonton EDGE"? It's simple, yet hot.

It's go that easy alliteration, and doesn't seem too strained.

And, I don't think any other pro or semi-pro sports teams use it in North America, altho' it's a popular term in alternate rock music circles and "alternate" sports such as Snowboarding, Skateboarding and Surfing.

Until somebody comes up with something else, I think this name edges out anythigng I've heard.

...and, Strobe Z, having looked at your banner/ crest/ kit material for A-League, I like your idea with the temporary insignia of using bright Orange and Green variants for colours, especially as they are not shared with the other Canadian teams. I think, though, that we should decide on a primary colour, perhaps a brighter orange, with and "bright/ice/electricteal green" and

black as secondary colours. Or else, forget the Orange, and go for the icygreen.

Have you ever seen the icy-green Northern Lights where they splash around the black sky, sometimes with one side a sharp edge and the other blending into the black? Perhaps, something like that , with a comet-like soccer ball coming out of the sky with orange flames.

Just stay away from the Eskimo and (various) Oiler colour schemes, and , pleeeeeease, no oil derricks!

And for kit, something diagonal to break with all the other kit designs.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

Just stay away from the Eskimo and (various) Oiler colour schemes, and , pleeeeeease, no oil derricks!

Considering the fact that "Green and Gold" colors do dominate the Edmonton sports scene.

I think some of those are pretty good suggestions, but nothing's hit home just yet. I did a little research on the history of Edmonton, looking for something in the sports scene that would give some of the history of the city to a new team.. but haven't really hit it yet.

I'm not sure that I like one word aliterations like "Extreme" or "Edge" but I have a feeling ultimately it's gonna end up something like that. I did like Edmonton Capital United F.C. so much I came up with the following logo which I'm gonna use in my upcoming Canada Super-Patch 2003 for FIFA 2003.

Edmonton.jpg

http://www.fifaconcacaf.com/strobe_z/Voyageurs.swf

How about the "Edmonton Urinals"?

Okay, perhaps not. :)

Well a lot of things can happen, when you're walking down the street, and it never fails to amaze me, the people that I meet. They all say "See you later" and I just answer "How? How will you see me later, when you can't see me now?" - Kevin Ayers, The Confessions of Dr. Dream & Other Stories (1974)

I'm wondering which stupid animal it will be for this team...

Edmonton crazy cows ? Edmonton mongooses ? Edmonton Bighorn Sheep ?

Or a foolish name like "Edmonton Tonics" or "Edmonton Derricks"...

I also can imagine "Edmonton Klondikes"

I'm already afraid...

Maybe something easy could be great :

Edmonton SC (Soccer Club or Sporting Club)

Edmonton United FC

White Star Edmonton

Energy Edmonton doesn't look bad neither

http://www.impactsoccer.com

quote:Originally posted by Blue and White Army

PLEASE, no goofy alliterations.

They are having a 'Name the Team Contest'. We both know that means 'goofy alliterations' will rule the day.

It's what happens when you let the collective thoughts of 12-year olds name a professional sports team...

Edmonton X-Press is my guess

I HATE the fact I had to sign up for this forum. HATE. HATE. HATE.

Bxl Boy:

Energy Edmonton does NOT sound like a bad name.

Continuing what we talked of at last night's Toronto-Montreal game, I was thinking about two concepts for championships :

One a Canada Open Cup:

- would be played over the 4 long weekends in the summer - Victoria Day Weekend in May, Canada Day Weekend in July, Civic Holiday in August, and Labor Day Weekend in September.

- 256 teams would enter,(Provincial league teams, CPSL teams , Canadian college and university teams, Canadian USL teams like the Impact)

- single knockout rounds

- localized draws for the Victoria Day Weekend(goups of 4 teams), random draws(across provincial borders) for Canada Day and Civic Holiday and neutral site for Labor Day Final Four.

- cup winner qualifies for the CONCACAF Champions Cup

Two a Canadian Championship:

- would be played from September to November

- winners of the Provincial Open Cups(now open to CPSL and Canadian USL teams)

- each provincial winner would play a home and away series.

- in November the top two champions play in Vancouver or Victoria(it would have to be there because of the weather. Southern BC has summer year-round) to determine the winner who will play in the CONCACAF Champions Cup.

- beauty of this Canadian Championship is that we can create a ''league'', we do NOT have to force the Impact, Lynx, to come out of the USL, the CPSL can flourish and the the concept promotes clubs no matter what league they are in.

- as well with this Canadian Championship, we improve on the current National Championship(which is currently open only to amateur teams) and use an existing structure.

quote:Originally posted by Blue and White Army

PLEASE, no goofy alliterations.

Use a name that is relevant to the city!

Some alliterations are relevant (i.e. Seattle Sounders), but "Extreme" and "Edge" sound cartoon-ish. This is the A-League, not the XFL!

I agree with this assessment. We don't need a name for Edmonton that does not reflect the city or even Alberta. The only thing "Extreme" about Edmonton is the wind and the cold in the dead of winter and the only thing on "Edge" in Edmonton is politics!

I would like see a traditional name such as "Northlanders" or "Highlanders" or how about the "Strathconas".

Archived