Names for Edmonton team?

Being from Calgary, I still think that a good name would be the Edmonton Filthy Bastards :) - I can't wait for this rivalry to heat up.

I agree with many on the forum who detest one word aliterations.

I like the suggestions of "Edmonton Capitals" or "Edmonton Centenials" (except for the fact that the centenial is in 2005, of course - sorry ray)

"Edmonton United" is a classic and would say alot about the composition of the squad.

"Northlanders" is also not bad, when you really stop and think about it. It sounds ancient.

Needless to say, I can't make up my bloody mind about it - but when in doubt, choose my first suggestion :)

------------------------

http://members.tripod.com/stormwatch2001/ - Home of the StormChasers

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

Have you ever seen the icy-green Northern Lights where they splash around the black sky, sometimes with one side a sharp edge and the other blending into the black? Perhaps, something like that , with a comet-like soccer ball coming out of the sky with orange flames.

You want something classy? A name that won't sound ridiculous in 10 years time(like EDGE or EXTREME...no offense guys, but those names would sound silly in time)? How about Edmonton Aurora? Ties in well with the Northern Lights...or Aurora United. That's even classier.

Mimglow, Ottawa

Where are the weapons of mass destruction?

Some names I like:

White Star Edmonton - Unique name for NA but has traditional football inspiration - plus it ties in well with the city's northern location.

Edmonton Drillers - I just think it has a great ring to it.

Aurora FC - FC is better than "United" since there was nothing to unite. :P

Edmonton Northern Lights - It's nice but it's kinda long.

quote:Originally posted by Cooks

I like the suggestions of "Edmonton Capitals" or "Edmonton Centenials" (except for the fact that the centenial is in 2005, of course - sorry ray)

Actually Cooks, I looked again and Edmonton's 100th birthday is apparently in October, 2004. See http://www.edmonton2004.com/html/misc/home.htm . You must be thinking of Alberta's Centennial year. I stand by the name "Centennials" :), although I think the names "Edmonton Northmen" or "Northland FC" are good too.

I dislike anything having a cartoonish feel. But something from Edmonton's history, climate or geography could work.

I tried and tried.. but nothing fits like "Drillers". I started this thread with two thoughts in mind..

a)get some discussion going so that when the time comes to submit something for the inevitable "name the team" contest we'd have something of quality to send in.

b)I could use the name in the FIFA 2003 Canada Super-Patch.

I guess 1 outta two ain't bad. As Daniel pointed out to me yesterday... "Saskatoon probably will never have a team called "Athletica" so who cares?" I gave up trying to shoe-horn some other name in and just played around with a new design for the Drillers logo. I'm pretty happy with it... a little modern, a little retro... feels like a football logo.

The only problem is that I just can't see the Drillers name making a comeback. Everything I've heard has been "let's start fresh". I don't even know who owns the name "Edmonton Drillers" anymore.. maybe the ATB?

Heck... if the ownership wants the logo I'll donate it if we get the Drillers back.... although a jersey would be a nice gesture ;D

Here's a better look at the logo:

EdmontonDrillers.jpg

http://www.fifaconcacaf.com/strobe_z/Voyageurs.swf

One of the co-hosts of "The Soccer Fanatics Internet Radio Show" suggested Commonwealth FC.

Saw one of the promotional posters today. The winning entry gets a party at the home opener with 25 guests and friends in a luxury box! Winning season tickets was another prize.

Sponsors with the EMSA:

100.3 FM The Bear

1260AM The Team

Subway

The Edmonton Sun

Best Buy

Archived