AFC Asian Cup 2023

timmy_14

23 hours ago, timmy_14 said:

Does anyone know if we are able to watch this tournament in Canada? I know the AFCON is on Bein Tv and I can get that with my Fubo account, but the Asian Cup doesn’t seem to be available in Canada. Does anyone knows if there is a possibility?

When Paramount+ announced they got US rights, there was a line in the press release that it applied to Canada. But I haven't seen anything yet that P+ Canada is carrying it (but someone with a sub should know more).

So, if no rights held in Canada, it could be available on AFC Asian Cup Youtube channel. Or use a VPN.

https://www.youtube.com/@AFCAsianCup

Certain matches like the opener, AUS v IND & JPN v VIE for the opening weekend are being shown on CBS Sports Golazo. This channel is freely available on Pluto tv using Opera browser or a VPN.

With Friday's opener not being geoblocked on AFC Asian Cup Youtube channel, assuming this will be same for all other matches, this will be a real opportunity to get into the Asian Cup.

China was chosen as the host for the tournament to take place in June/July 2023. However, China lost its hosting rights in October 2022 due to its zero-COVID policy.

It will be a trip down memory lane as the matches are being held in 7/9 stadiums used for Qatar World Cup. These include Lusail (opener/final), Ahmad Bin Ali, Al Bayt, Al Janoub, Education City, Khalifa International and Al Thumama.

The two non-World Cup stadiums are 10k seater Abdullah Bin Khalifa, home of Al Duhail FC and 15k Jassim Bin Hamad, home of Qatar’s most successful club, Al Sadd.

Group A: Qatar, China, Tajikistan, Lebanon
Group B: Australia, Uzbekistan, Syria, India
Group C: Iran, UAE, Palestine, Hong Kong
Group D: Japan, Indonesia, Iraq, Vietnam
Group E: South Korea, Malaysia, Jordan, Bahrain
Group F: Saudi Arabia, Thailand, Kyrgyzstan, Oman

The top two teams in each group and the four best-ranked third-placed teams will advance to the round of 16.

Tajikistan is the only debutant. Hong Kong makes a return after an absence of 5+ decades. Japan is the clear favourite which would be its leading 5th Asian Cup title. South Korea and Saudi Arabia have appeared in the Finals the most at 6 each.

Group matches to watch:

Jan 13; Australia v India
Jan 14: Iran v Palestine
Jan 19: Iraq v Japan
Jan 22: Qatar v China
Jan 23: Australia v Uzbekistan

https://www.the-afc.com/en/national/afc_asian_cup/news.html

Edited by red card

No replays ex a few hours after match ended but all live so far and then highlights. For Eastern time zone, the matches are at reasonable times.

Australia defeated India 2-0 in the same stadium that Canada played Belgium. The Japanese ref today was also the 4th official for Canada/Belgium. And the pre-kickoff music was the same Business.

Edited by red card

17 hours ago, timmy_14 said:

I think they geoblocked it again, as I can’t find the replay of the game on Youtube. Will see if they show the other ones live.

We watched parts of a couple of recorded matches on YouTube this morning, without any blocking issues. Hoping my family can see Japan the same way tomorrow.

The demos of the countries at the Asian Cup gives us a look at AFC's and the world football echosystem.

By managers, AFC is heavily relying on foreign expertise. There are 3 each from Croatia, Germany & Spain. 2 each from Argentina, Japan & South Korea. 2 are from CAF. Only 25% of the managers are from AFC countries.

By players, it is the reverse as almost 80% play with AFC clubs. Lebanon has the only 2 players from Concacaf: Bitar from VFC and Kuri from D2 Mexican side Atlante. Former Caps Adnan is playing for Iraq.

There is a heavy reliance on domestic players as 46% have over 20 domestiques on their squads. Qatar clubs have most players represented at 33 with 26 playing for Qatar. UAE has 31 with 26 playing for UAE. Saudis have 30 with 26 playing for the Kingdom. Australia & Japan have the least domestic leaning squads.

Malaysian club Johor Darui Ta'zim has the most players at the tourney with 14. Then Al-Sadd from Qatar has 11. 

Outside of AFC, England clubs lead with 19 players, followed by Germany with 12 and 10 each for Belgium and Scotland. A surprise would be Sweden with 8 as 3 each play for Iraq & Syria. The top non-AFC club is Celtic with 5 as 2 each play for Japan & South Korea.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm disappointed that I can't watch more of this tournament (and AFCON too).  Left with just the results I wonder if Japan and Korea are actually struggling or had some poor matches because it's surprising to see them second in their group, and have some of the results they did.  But it's tough to fairly assess that without having watched.  I'll continue to cheer for Australia and Korea because of my loose connections to those countries.  I'll root for Japan too.  After that, I'm always interested in seeing a shock.  I still remember watching Iraq win, that was great!

Onto the knockout stage starting Sunday. 

As with AFCON, Asian Cup is seeing higher crowds. Qatar holding World Cup has likely led to better attendance from the wide diaspora living there, bettter know how in organization/marketing and maybe more people comfortable travelling to Qatar. Many are revelling foremost in the cultural aspects of seeing their native country, political aspects for countries like Palestine & Hong Kong and then comes football. Saudi Arabia, Indonesia, Malayasia, Iran & Iraq looked to have the highest number of core football supporters. A bit more females than usual for other matches but that cound be a reflection of the country's diaspora mix in Qatar.

On the pitch, the performances and entertainment value has mostly been ordinary. Qatar, Iran & iraq met/exceeded expectations. Australia, Japan, South Korea & Saudi Arabia have all looked sluggish.  Indonesia, Palestine, Syria and Tajikistan are all making the knockout rounds for the first time. West Asian countries dominate knockout stage with 7 in.

The heavyweight R16 match is Saudi Arabia vs South Korea on Tuesday. Palestine plays their benefactor Qatar on Monday.

On the broadcast front, the announcers show how to do matches if going with a chatty style. They're not earnest and serious imparting info like Canadian announcers. They don't do the hyperkinetic product promotional speak of American announcers. Instead, the largely Australian/ex-pat British announcers center their chattiness on what is happening on the pitch. Background info chats are impeccably timed as it is directly tied to the action rather than what they had for lunch. All of it is delivered in an easy going tone and pace.

Edited by red card

Even without taking their current manager into account, I consider South Korea to be the Germany of Asia (at least the Germany from the 1960s to mid 2010s). You can never, ever count them out. No matter what, they'll fight to the end and more often than not come up with a late goal or two to tie or win a match.

11 hours ago, Treppy2 said:

Even without taking their current manager into account, I consider South Korea to be the Germany of Asia (at least the Germany from the 1960s to mid 2010s). You can never, ever count them out. No matter what, they'll fight to the end and more often than not come up with a late goal or two to tie or win a match.

Your not that far from wrong and I would say both Japan and Korea are Germnay of Asia. 

On 1/25/2024 at 9:02 AM, RJB said:

I'm disappointed that I can't watch more of this tournament (and AFCON too).  Left with just the results I wonder if Japan and Korea are actually struggling or had some poor matches because it's surprising to see them second in their group, and have some of the results they did.  But it's tough to fairly assess that without having watched.  I'll continue to cheer for Australia and Korea because of my loose connections to those countries.  I'll root for Japan too.  After that, I'm always interested in seeing a shock.  I still remember watching Iraq win, that was great!

You can watch AFCON on BEIN  sport

6 hours ago, gigi riva said:

Your not that far from wrong and I would say both Japan and Korea are Germnay of Asia. 

You can watch AFCON on BEIN  sport

3 hours ago, narduch said:

AFCON is on Fubo too 

Of course, I just don't have enough time!

On 1/30/2024 at 2:09 PM, Treppy2 said:

What I said on Tuesday...

So Jordan with just one player that plays in a top 5 league in Europe knocks off South Korea  2-0 in the semis  South Korea who has like 8 players more or less that play in top 5 leagues in Europe . The vast majority of the Jordan players play in Jordan with a few that play in Lebanon, Qatar and I think Saudi Arabia . 

Korea were a let down start to finish that's for sure. They left too many results late, and were poor otherwise. 

Klinsman surely has to go and this has to be the end for him. After the Bayern mess, the USA debacle and now a complete mess in Korea who will hire him?  

1 hour ago, RJB said:

Korea were a let down start to finish that's for sure. They left too many results late, and were poor otherwise. 

Klinsman surely has to go and this has to be the end for him. After the Bayern mess, the USA debacle and now a complete mess in Korea who will hire him?  

Why, Canada, of course......

(ducks)

10 hours ago, SoccMan said:

So Jordan with just one player that plays in a top 5 league in Europe knocks off South Korea  2-0 in the semis  South Korea who has like 8 players more or less that play in top 5 leagues in Europe . The vast majority of the Jordan players play in Jordan with a few that play in Lebanon, Qatar and I think Saudi Arabia . 

Well Done

The sluggish play of all the 5 or so top teams in the group stage continued into the knockout stages. All them played uninspiring football, with no sense of creativity and a generous helping of sloppiness.

The Koreans called their team's stylings "zombie football" as they didn't bite unless they were brought to the point of death first and their victim proved unable to escape their shuffling grasp.

Qatar is back to their form when they won the Asian Cup in 2019 and is looking to be the first in 20 years to win back-to-back. Something went amiss on their road to the World Cup. Jordan is managed by a Moroccan who has got his tactics right and got his players to play with more focus and passion than teams with more talented players.

Should be around 1.5 million for total attendance which is the most ever for Asian Cup and surpasses previous record set in China 2004. Average per match is about 27k so far. For the World Cup, Qatar hired fake supporters from Lebanon and various North African countries. So, it was good to see more home grown football supporters' culture on display at this tourney.

The difference with the Gold Cup on the pitch is that the 2 big teams are rarely punished for any of their off days. The second tier Concacaf teams also don't have the tactical discipline for an entire tourney, let alone beyond a match.

Off the pitch, peak Gold Cup atmosphere reaches world class levels. But beyond the Mexico matches and a couple of others, it is largely D2 to D3 levels. Asian Cup matches have much broader support across the teams. But nobody can match Mexico's support - Saudis & Iranians are the closest but far behind in terms of travelling well.

Edited by red card

It shouldn't be this easy for a nascent football nation like Qatar to already win 2 Asian Cups. Most will say we saw the real Qatar during the World Cup. Most are saying the 2019 team was more talented. This time, the manager said they won without playing beautiful football. We'll have to see if they can qualify for 2026. 

As an organizer, Qatar showed again it can put up a good show. An Asian Cup record of 1.509m people attended matches. At the same time, Doha was also hosting the World Aquatics Championship and a WTA event started today.

For Jordan, it could be a one-off run. In the 2nd round of AFC World Cup qualifying, they're in a tough group with Saudi Arabia and the most pleasantly surprising team at the Asian Cup, Tajikstan.

For AFC, the rise of a super team gets pushed back again. South Korea made the semis but Klinsmann's tactics were uninspiring unless they were down with 30 minutes left. Only thing inspiring Klinsmann is to earn his US$2m/yr salary with the least amount of effort and least amount of time spent in South Korea.

Edited by red card