CPL All Canadian 18?

I am really wondering about who would be included in a top CPL Canadian 18 (11 starters and 7 subs) this year. I do not know all of the players, but to start, I would include:

Aparicio, T. Henry, Carducci, Nimick, Dada-Luke, T. Campbell, Pacius, S. Young, plus ?????

I have missed many. Who would you include?

Cheers.

6 hours ago, jonovision said:

I wouldn't have Dada-Luke in my squad but that's the beginning of a good list. I feel like Cavalry, as the best team in the league, deserves an outfield player, but none jump out at me from their roster.

Not even in a best 18? Who else would you even have at RB… Gee and Fernandez?

8 hours ago, Stoppage Time said:

This post has been up for seven hours and just three responses. Either my choice of topic is seen as meh, or it is really hard to name 18 top Canadians in the CPL. The first option is OK - maybe a lame topic - but the second is very discouraging if true.

I think we really do not pay attention that much to players. Especially to those on other teams we don't support. 

This has a lot to do how the narratives are put together, which for me is fault of the league. They just expect the clubs to create the buzz, with OneSoccer helping a bit; but there is a certain laziness or indifference from the league itself. They have no merchandising of their own, there is no generic advertising of any value, they don't even have clear standards on stadium conditions, despite pretending they do. There is a certain sloppiness that is allowed. 

So if the real fans can't come up with these names, that means most fans going to games are even more behind. The vast majority don't really know their own players, probably do not even know the league table, could not differentiate between the rival's top scorer and some scrub they gave a short-term contrast to. 

Have to say, in my view there are similar deficiencies with MLS, sometimes it feels rather hokey, it is all down to theme nights and freebies for the first 500 hundred and happy hour, plus a kids play area for a few hours since god forbid they actually might want to watch the game they were brought to.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Top 18 according to transfermarkt (and are listed as Canadian)

1. Doneil Henry        €500k
2. Kadin Chung        €400k
3. Woobens Pacius    €400k
4. Amer Didic        €350k
5. Easton Ongaro    €350k
6. Jean-Aniel Assi    €300k
7. Manjrekar James    €300k
8. Rocco Romeo        €300k
9. Osaze De Rosario    €300k
10. Kwasi Poku        €300k
11. Clément Bayiha    €250k
12. Myer Bevan        €250k
13. Ilias Iliadis    €250k
14. Shamit Shome    €250k
15. Manny Aparicio    €250k
16. Sean Young        €250k
17. many at €200k - Sergio Camargo, Callum Montgomery, Samuel Salter, Shaan Hundal, Garven Métusala, Ryan James, David Choinière, Luke Singh, Jordan Perruzza, Alessandro Hojabrpour, Jordan Hamilton, Bradley Kamdem, Malcolm Shaw, Callum Irving, Marco Carducci, Kunle Dada-Luke, Jared Ulloa, Terran Campbell, Noah Verhoeven, Tristan Borges

17 hours ago, Stoppage Time said:

This post has been up for seven hours and just three responses. Either my choice of topic is seen as meh, or it is really hard to name 18 top Canadians in the CPL. The first option is OK - maybe a lame topic - but the second is very discouraging if true.

If you ask the same question on Discord I imagine you'll get instant debate

17 hours ago, Stoppage Time said:

I think @Unnamed Trialist is largely right: there isn't a huge awareness of the players on other teams. I enjoy the CPL but I definitely don't watch more than one non-Valour game in a weekend, and often none. 

I don't think an 18 needs to be balanced but one way would be to ask for the 3 or 4 top Canadians from each team and narrow it down from there.

From Valour I have a hard time getting past two: Matteo de Brienne and Diego Gutierrez. If I was forced to come up with two more names I'd add Abdou Samake and Dante Campbell but most teams have 5 or 6 Canadians better than those two.

Bitar would be one of the only possible additions from Langley FC. Hundal would have also made the list had the club not taken his jersey number and position and gifted it to a largely (and surprisingly) ineffective Diaz mid-season.

Irving and Chung and Cantave too inconsistent for me. Cameron and TJ could make the list next year.

Edited by nolando

7 hours ago, nolando said:

Cantave not a Canadian international, but you get my point.

But he's Canadian and wanted to be a Canadian international, to be fair.

For me the best VFC player this year has been the keeper, but I wouldn't say he's a CPL all-star and would agree they don't have anyone on a best of CPL roster.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The two most important players in the history of the CPL are Bekker and Carducci, and credit to both that in year 5 they're still top players.

Kyle Bekker is 33 and you might expect his production to fall off in the next year or two. Carducci is 27 and a goalkeeper, so should have many good years left at this level, unless he wants to move on. I agree that they have been cornerstone players in this league.

On 9/25/2023 at 4:58 PM, K Edgar said:

12. Myer Bevan        €250k

News to me if Myer Bevan has Canadian citizenship, but transfermarkt does seem to suggest so. I believe he's only played here for 3 total years, and was born & raised in New Zealand. Is there a family connection?

UPDATE: found an old whitecaps article that indeed states he has citizenship through family.

On 9/26/2023 at 6:27 AM, jonovision said:

Kyle Bekker is 33 and you might expect his production to fall off in the next year or two. Carducci is 27 and a goalkeeper, so should have many good years left at this level, unless he wants to move on. I agree that they have been cornerstone players in this league.

Honestly, Carducci could probably play in this league for ten more years based on typical GK longevity if he stays healthy. That feels crazy to me.

On 9/25/2023 at 4:33 PM, nolando said:

A most-disappointing 18 would be an interesting list too, no doubt headed up by Gael Sandoval and Kekutah Manneh for me.

Though manneh was gonna take over the league this year..was an speed demon with the Whitecaps and capped once by the us