Match Thread: June 18, 2023 - Pacific v York United

Put the game on for a bit... I like the higher camera angle but does anyone notice the fishbowl effect that's happening in the ends?  I just started drinking ahead of the Nations League Final so I don't think it's the beer (yet).

4 minutes ago, davey_twelve said:

I'd say he's developed a great deal over the past two seasons and just seems to continually improve different elements to his game. He's good enough to start on the best team in the CPL but I don't think he's at the level (yet) where he could carry a weaker team in the league. 

Boy do I love balanced takes, and this seems to be a good one.

That's the most important win of the entire season so far, for any team. Sets Pacific apart, against a direct rival. Doesn't have to be totally dominant or pretty. They still have games in hand.

Concern for Vancouver FC has to be mitigated by the fact that they have the same ownership as Pacific and should have the nous to sort things out (no word from those saying they'd prioritize VFC over Pacific and treat the latter as can afterthought?).

20 hours ago, davey_twelve said:

I'd say he's developed a great deal over the past two seasons and just seems to continually improve different elements to his game. He's good enough to start on the best team in the CPL but I don't think he's at the level (yet) where he could carry a weaker team in the league. 

Agreed that he continues to improve and develop elements of his game. The coaching staff asked him to add more final product, and he's clearly done that this season. I think he's been on the league's team of the week 6 or 7 times out of 10 so far. I worry he could move and stagnate without focused commitment from a coaching staff, but I guess most players face this dilemma. His style of play isn't necessarily one that lends itself to carrying a team, but I don't know that there's a starting XI in CPL that he wouldn't improve. He's solid overall, but he does a few things better than potentially anyone in the league

Edited by Aird25

• narduch changed the title to Match Thread: June 18, 2023 - Pacific v York United