What a long wait for the World Cup. 36 years. Yesterday's match brought tears to my eyes. Thank you Canada, thank you.

I have waited for the longest time for Canada to get back into the World Cup.  My first time watching Canada play live was back in 1994.  Back then, Canada did not make the World Cup.  But Brazil, the eventual winner of the 1994 World Cup, wanted some friendly matches to warm up, before playing in the World Cup in the US.  So they came to play Canada.  Unfortunately, our national team did not make the 1994 World Cup - we were so close, but just lost out to Mexico in the CONCACAF qualifications, and then we lost to Australia in the CONCACAF vs OFC playoffs.   Thus, my friend and I were mostly drawn by Brazil coming to town (the match was held in Edmonton).  My friend and I didn't expect Canada to hold a chance against Brazil in the friendly match because Brazil was the favorite to win the 1994 World Cup, heading into that friendly match.

When my friend and I got to Commonwealth Stadium, there was about a 55K crowd in the stadium.  In 1994, that was the largest crowd to that date, to watch a live soccer match in Canada.  The crowd itself made news because nobody in Canada turns out for a soccer match, let alone 55K people.  Anyways, the match started, and Brazil created numerous chances to score.  If you were watching the World Cup back then, it was the duo of Romario and Bebeto for Brazil, creating chances over and over again.  Finally, Romario scored for Brazil.  But it wasn't the end yet. Brazil kept pressing Canada.  Romario got more chances, the Brazillian team kept firing at our goal.  But the Brazillian team kept getting stopped.  They were flabbergasted and confused.  Who was this goal keeper for Canada stopping the great Brazilian team? It was none other than Craig Forest.  Craig Forest decided to have one of his best days that day, and he stopped shot, after shot, after shot from Brazil.  Craig Forest really f*cked the Brazilians over that day.  And then it finally happened.  A pass was made up from midfield up front to Eddy Berdusco.  Berdusco was on side, ran down the ball, and scored.  55K people in Commonwealth Stadium roaring for Canada.  1-1 to Canada against the what would be, the eventual 1994 World Cup champions.  The Brazilians were utterly shocked.  And that wasn't it.  There was another good chance late in the game for Canada.  We were close to beating Brazil 2-1. But alas, it was not to be.  1-1 was the final score.  Not a bad day for Canada, and a score line that the 55K people didn't expect.

The next major success for our national team was the 2000 Gold Cup.  Once again, it was Craig Forest who had an outstanding tournament, and frustrated the opposing teams.  But between the 2000 Gold Cup and the win yesterday, there has been quite a long drought for the Canadian Men's national team.

I have been waiting for yesterday's moment for a long time.  When news broke that Toronto would get an MLS team, I was so excited. MLS was our ticket back into the World Cup.  If only the MLS could inspire the younger Canadian generation to play soccer, and especially convince young Canadian athletes to pursue soccer professionally, Canada getting back into the World Cup was possible.  For those who don't know, the biggest reason Canada qualified for the 1986 World Cup was because of the NASL.  The NASL provided academies and provided a dream for Canadians to pursue professional soccer.  But after the collapse of the NASL, we didn't have anything remotely close to the prestige of the NASL, to convince young Canadians to pursue and choose soccer professionally.  So that's why I was so excited when Toronto got the first MLS team.  And then the sellouts of tickets, year after year, for TFC.  Could this be?  Canadians lining up, to purchase soccer tickets?  Is this reality?

But it didn't stop there.  Soon, Montreal would get their first MLS team.  And then I saw it.  Some 50K Canadians watching a live soccer match in Montreal.  What the heck?  This is awesome, because the 55K crowd record I help set in 1994 was about to be broken.  Canadians are finally starting to fall in love with soccer?  All my friends, up to that point, had mocked soccer.  Among my friends, hockey was the sh*t.  Soccer, what's that?  But it didn't stop in Montreal.  Vancouver would get an MLS team.  And then soccer started to take off in Canada.  Within due time, the Canadian Premier League spouted. And of course, 2018 was another huge win for soccer in Canada with us hosting the 2026 World Cup jointly with the US and Mexico.  Canada, as hosts of the 2026 World Cup, would automatically get a spot to play. But nobody wants that.  We want our national team to qualify for the World Cup, the proper way. We want our team to prove their worth in the Hex.

Which lead up to yesterday.  What a long wait.  It's been so long that Canada is relevant in world soccer again. Our win and qualification for the World Cup brought tears to my eyes.  Yes, it's been 36 years. And another 22 years since our victory at the 2000 Gold Cup.  But baby, we did it.  I'm so proud of our boys.  Thank you team Canada, thank you.

Edited by football_world

18 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Still doesn't feel real to me 😭😢

Yeah, still feels surreal.  The stars are lined up for Canadian youth to get more involved in soccer.  With Canada qualifying, with the success of the MLS, and with the 2026 World Cup coming up, the stars are aligned for more Canadian youngsters to succeed in soccer, and pursue soccer as a profession.  Here's to hoping that Canada will constantly qualify for every World Cup from here on out.  Mexico has gotten a freebie into the World Cup for so many decades.  Sorry Mexico, you got another competitor from CONCACAF that wants in on future World Cups.

Edited by football_world

2 minutes ago, football_world said:

Yeah, still feels surreal.  The stars are lined up for Canadian youth to get more involved in soccer.  With Canada qualifying, with the success of the MLS, and with the 2026 World Cup coming up, the stars are aligned for more Canadian youngsters to succeed in soccer, and pursue soccer as a profession.  Here's to hoping that Canada will constantly qualify for every World Cup from here on out.  Mexico has gotten a freebie into the World Cup for so many decades.  Sorry Mexico, you got another competitor from CONCACAF that wants in on future World Cups.

I totally agree and with it being 48 teams starting from 2026 and beyond, I can see us becoming a footballing power in CONCACAF just like the USA and Mexico

12 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

I totally agree and with it being 48 teams starting from 2026 and beyond, I can see us becoming a footballing power in CONCACAF just like the USA and Mexico

Yes, 48 teams is awesome!  We just need to qualify every World Cup, to get more media attention, and to get our youth more excited about soccer.  The MLS and CPL is helping a lot, so I am thankful for what the MLS and CPL are doing.

The Raptors definitely helped to raise the profile of basketball in Canada, eventually paving the way for Canada to generate some top talent for the NBA.  I can only hope that the MLS, CPL, us hosting the 2026 World Cup, and finally, Canada qualifying for every World Cup after 2026, can keep soccer in the minds of our youth, and convince them to pursue soccer professionally.

Before, most Canadian around 14 to 16 years of age that were good at soccer, would eventually pursue a different sport professionally rather than soccer. I think Steve Nash was also gifted at soccer and considered pursuing it professionally, but decided on basketball (I think Steve Nash's brother chose soccer though). We need more young Canadians, at that critical age of around 14 to 16 years old, to pursue soccer professionally instead.  If we can qualify for every World Cup after 2026, plus with the help of the MLS and CPL, I think we can produce more than enough talent for the future of Canadian soccer.

21 minutes ago, football_world said:

Yes, 48 teams is awesome!  We just need to qualify every World Cup, to get more media attention, and to get our youth more excited about soccer.  The MLS and CPL is helping a lot, so I am thankful for what the MLS and CPL are doing.

The Raptors definitely helped to raise the profile of basketball in Canada, eventually paving the way for Canada to generate some top talent for the NBA.  I can only hope that the MLS, CPL, us hosting the 2026 World Cup, and finally, Canada qualifying for every World Cup after 2026, can keep soccer in the minds of our youth, and convince them to pursue soccer professionally.

Before, most Canadian around 14 to 16 years of age that were good at soccer, would eventually pursue a different sport professionally rather than soccer. I think Steve Nash was also gifted at soccer and considered pursuing it professionally, but decided on basketball (I think Steve Nash's brother chose soccer though). We need more young Canadians, at that critical age of around 14 to 16 years old, to pursue soccer professionally instead.  If we can qualify for every World Cup after 2026, plus with the help of the MLS and CPL, I think we can produce more than enough talent for the future of Canadian soccer.

Exactly and that but also staying committed to our grassroots development from youth level to U-23s we should be able to keep our golden generation of next generation footballers going here in Canada 

This team have shown that they can go toe to toe with the Mexican and US national teams and are not stumbling their way in as the best of the rest against the Oceania champs.

That means there should be no patronising media coverage this time revolving around how these guys don't really belong anywhere near this finals tournament and giving it the usual Canadians should really be playing hockey, baseball or CFL rather than soccer routine.

Won't be easy but a place in the last 16 is a realistic goal with this team and after that they can always try to do what Greece did in Euro 2004 and grind out results on the counterattack or through penalties after parking the bus. Almost certainly ultimately won't work but you go in with a plan to try to win it rather than just making up the numbers.

15 hours ago, Sal333 said:

If my memory serves me he was on that 2000 Gold Cup team and I think scored a goal in the last game.

Imagine if Steve Nash had pursued soccer instead of basketball.  I think the success of the men's national team, MLS, and CPL, will help persuade future "Steve Nashes" to choose soccer over other sports as their profession.

21 minutes ago, football_world said:

Imagine if Steve Nash had pursued soccer instead of basketball.  I think the success of the men's national team, MLS, and CPL, will help persuade future "Steve Nashes" to choose soccer over other sports as their profession.

I'm okay with future Steve Nashes choosing basketball.

16 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

I'm okay with future Steve Nashes choosing basketball.

The example with Steve Nash is that Steve Nash and his family are very talented athletes.  Sometimes, you have talented young athletes around 14 to 16 years of age, who are good at multiple sports, but can only choose one sport to pursue as their profession.  We want our best young Canadian athletes pursuing soccer, if they are good at it.  The worst that can happen is that we have some young talented Canadian athletes, that choose another sport besides soccer as their profession.  This is just a loss to the national soccer team.

Edited by football_world

12 hours ago, Metro said:

He indeed was in the team but it was DeVos and Corrazin who scored in the last game. Nash was the one who made the great pass to Hastings for the famous Golden Goal against Mexico.

Martin Nash has been one of the most underrated players in early-2000 soccer history.  Like you said above, he pulled the strings in 2000 but also he was an integral cog in our 2007 Gold Cup run.  Guy always did a great job when he was playing for Canada.

5 hours ago, football_world said:

The example with Steve Nash is that Steve Nash and his family are very talented athletes.  Sometimes, you have talented young athletes around 14 to 16 years of age, who are good at multiple sports, but can only choose one sport to pursue as their profession.  We want our best young Canadian athletes pursuing soccer, if they are good at it.  The worst that can happen is that we have some young talented Canadian athletes, that choose another sport besides soccer as their profession.  This is just a loss to the national soccer team.

I sort of agree, but let's be honest - Steve Nash was a two-time NBA MVP.  If he had chosen soccer, what are the chances he would've been say, a two-time Ballon d'Or winner?  I think he made the right choice.

14 minutes ago, GasPed said:

I sort of agree, but let's be honest - Steve Nash was a two-time NBA MVP.  If he had chosen soccer, what are the chances he would've been say, a two-time Ballon d'Or winner?  I think he made the right choice.

True, I agree that Steve Nash probably made the better decision to choose basketball.

Having said that, we probably lost out on a lot of talent in the last 30 years because a lot of athletic Canadian teenagers chose another sport to pursue their profession in rather than soccer.  I hope this bleeding of talent to other sports stops.  Now, Canadian teenagers can see there is a viable path for them to become a top soccer pro through the MLS, and then onto the top clubs in Europe (or they can stay as a pro in the MLS).  And I hope our re-entry into the World Cup will also encourage more Canadian teens to consider pursuing soccer as their career.

2 hours ago, football_world said:

True, I agree that Steve Nash probably made the better decision to choose basketball.

Having said that, we probably lost out on a lot of talent in the last 30 years because a lot of athletic Canadian teenagers chose another sport to pursue their profession in rather than soccer.  I hope this bleeding of talent to other sports stops.  Now, Canadian teenagers can see there is a viable path for them to become a top soccer pro through the MLS, and then onto the top clubs in Europe (or they can stay as a pro in the MLS).  And I hope our re-entry into the World Cup will also encourage more Canadian teens to consider pursuing soccer as their career.

True story about Steve Nash.  He used to train with MLS clubs in the offseason.  One of those teams was managed by Bruce Arena I believe.  Arena went on to say that Nash could play in the MLS of he wanted to.  Not sure if he meant it right now at the time or if he had chosen to play soccer instead of basketball but I'm pretty sure it was the former.

Edited by Corazon