Canada vs Germany - Sunday, February 20th - 3:15pm EST / 12:15pm Pacific - Norwich

Arnold Clark Cup - Match #2
Canada vs Germany
Sunday, February 20 2022
3:15pm EST / 12:15pm Pacific
Carrow Road, Norwich, England
TV Broadcast: TSN4
Tickets:
https://www.arnoldclarkcup.com/fixtures/

-----

The Canada Squad:
https://canadasoccer.com/news/canada-announces-squad-for-the-2022-arnold-clark-cup/

Those players that did not get any minutes in the previous match:
Sabrina D’Angelo
Devon Kerr
Erin McLeod
Shelina Zadorsky
Gabrielle Carle
Allysha Chapman
Sura Yekka
Marie-Yasmine Alidou D’Anjou
Sophie Schmidt
Tanya Boychuk

The German squad:
https://www.dfb.de/news/detail/arnold-clark-cup-selina-cerci-erstmals-im-dfb-aufgebot-236751/ ( thanks again to @redcard for finding the link on twitter )

Well I watched most of Spain-England, very hard fought, ended scoreless. Few scoring chances, England had a post.

Thought because England was so aggressive, that forced Spain to be the same, not much of a friendly, some crunching tackles. Overall, quality football, maybe favouring the defensive side too much but still. It had similarities to Canada-Germany, with high press, talent on both sides, and basically no one has a top striker. Or else they are relatively easily nullified. Or else they drop into the middle, this is what Spain did with Jennie Hermoso, left the striking position to support the midfield.  Putellas has some fine touches and moments, but was pretty invisible mostly.

The four teams in this tournament are very well matched.

For Canada, liked Sheridan in goal, a lot, fine keeper. Good with her feet too, commands her box. Thought Riviere was sharp, and then Gilles again, deserved being player of the match. Quinn had good moments, enough to get past some errors, similar to Fleming. I agree Beckie is doing well. 

I don't think Buchanan was happy with her performance.

For all the sides in this tournament: the last quarter of the field is rather dire, no team does much when it comes to the crunch, as Germany showed vs us today, pressure but not much danger.

I think England will beat Germany and we'll do what we did in Logroño before the last WC, draw Spain. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

7 hours ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Could it be that as a nation we are finally learning how to win, even if it means grinding out games? We saw it in Hamilton with the men, now vs. Germany with the women. Encouraging stuff. 

Yes, but thing is: we are doing it without a premium striker. In fact, in women's football, there are right now very few top strikers, true killers, or magicians with the ball. There are a few like Sam Kerr and the Americans that have good numbers because they can pick apart lesser rivals in leagues or international play with many weaker rivals. 

If we really wanted to develop women's soccer in Canada--and to be clear, we do not develop at all--we should be focussing on arty skills to see if we could come up with a real scoring threat. But I suspect we'll produce 25 Grosso's and Quinns and still won't have a tricky striker.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

21 hours ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Could it be that as a nation we are finally learning how to win, even if it means grinding out games? We saw it in Hamilton with the men, now vs. Germany with the women. Encouraging stuff. 

Priestman's record says yes.

But as Unnamed Trialist noted, there aren't too many good strikers in the top 10 nations of women's football today. Even Miedema has slipped. Only Barca at the club level seems to know how to carve open a good club team.

Amongst the top 10 nations, there is also a lack of pace in the front lines as the US/Brasil stuck with their old players, Germany's assembly line has regressed, Spain doesn't play that way and Netherlands/France/England have only shown it in flashes with only one or two players. 

So, if you have world class GK and back line, good defensive mids, some pacy players and overall good structure along with mental resilience, you can do well as Canada has shown. If we can generate more set pieces and then score from them, then we have a chance to be in the semis at the World Cup.

Edited by red card

When watching the games so far, we don't seem to play as beautifully as our opponents, especially in the final third of the pitch.  Yet we are really good at not getting scored on.  I put it down to great coaching and player buy-in.  It's not sexy, doesn't get much respect around the world, but it gets results.  I'm actually pretty amazed at how well we are doing overall.