Barrie's Grassroots Soccer Movement

Hello everyone, we are the Kempenfelt Crew! We are Barrie's first organized supporters group with the goal of bringing a soccer team to our city. Great progress has been made and we are very optimistic moving forward. We were recently featured in our local news, who interviewed some of the people involved in our group. It would mean a lot to us if you could take a quick look at the article and of course sign the petition that is linked at the bottom of it! The article can be found here. Thanks for all the support!

44 minutes ago, Big_M said:

Will Ronan Cordelle be the majority owner? Whats his background and net worth?

Pretty sure he's just a member of the supporters group. So, probably -$100k not including the mortgage, like most "middle-class" Ontarians.

Seriously though, this is a great push. I especially like that they're not stating a particular league, just pushing for a team (any team). Barrie should definitely have (at least) an L1O team, and it's truly a shame that there's been more expansion for L1O in the GTHA this year, at the expense of expanding into communities currently lacking pro/semi-pro/pro-am soccer.

I would love for leagues like L1O and PLSQ eventually be to CPL what USL is to MLS in terms of being a proving ground for teams to go to the next level. In the long run through straight up pro/rel, but in the nearer term for communities like Barrie to get a L1O team and have huge crowds come out to spur fully professional investment.

Best of luck to you Kempenfelt Crew!

L1O is a possibility. CPL only if pro/rel. There is indeed a decent amount of interest in soccer here, with a mix of those who would support local, those who only tune in to European leagues or every four years for World Cup/Euro, and some interest in TFC. Facilities would require major upgrades as the article states, but there is certainly opposition already to the proposed south end development. I don't think there would be much interest from the City to spend much as we're already up to our ears in debt due in part to massive spend on basic infrastructure. That will continue to be the priority. The mayor is quoted in the article and he does have at least one child in youth soccer. It would sure save us the drive to Hamilton for Forge matches!

4 hours ago, RickC said:

L1O is a possibility. CPL only if pro/rel. There is indeed a decent amount of interest in soccer here, with a mix of those who would support local, those who only tune in to European leagues or every four years for World Cup/Euro, and some interest in TFC. Facilities would require major upgrades as the article states, but there is certainly opposition already to the proposed south end development. I don't think there would be much interest from the City to spend much as we're already up to our ears in debt due in part to massive spend on basic infrastructure. That will continue to be the priority. The mayor is quoted in the article and he does have at least one child in youth soccer. It would sure save us the drive to Hamilton York University for Forge York 9 matches!

FYP, and saved you some commuting time.

• 3 weeks later...

@BarrieCityFC @Kempenfelt Crew i encourage your group to reach out to L1O to figure out how you can best work together. Would be interesting to see a L1O match (or friendly) played in Barrie. I’m certain there are many way the two groups can begin to form a relationship!

Big fan of what you guys are doing. Keep it up!

Edited by hamiltonfan

• 2 weeks later...

This is awesome! Hopefully a L1O team comes soon that you guys can use as a tool to drum up support, potentially compete in the Vs Cup. That first year Blainville had that stadium rocking in the Vs Cup was awesome, really made me want to see them “promote” to CPL. The pictures of the fire coming from the stadium we awesome! 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...