Canadians in MLS 2019 Season

Gian-Luca

• 4 weeks later...

No Edwards or Hamilton in Chicago vs. Columbus. Edwards hasn't seen the field since being at fault for a goal in Chicago's upset loss to St. Louis in USL play, but they have largely stunk without him since he's been nailed to the press box. Hamilton hasn't been dressed for either Crew game since he's been traded and to make matters worse, both strikers ahead of him (Zardes &  Williams) scored in the 2-2 draw against the Fire.

Also getting nailed the press box in recent weeks is Tajon Buchanon as Bruce Arena hasn't used him once I believe since he became coach. Perhaps this is a formation  issue as Arena has changed the team's formation and they haven't gone with out and out wingers, because Buchanon was drawing some rave reviews for his performances a rookie in the first half of the season. Or maybe Bruce Arena just doesn't like him. Vancouver started four Canucks (including Theo Bair's 2nd start in a row) in a losing cause, 4-0. I am currently watching the repeat broadcast since I was at BMO field tonight, and I see that the shots are 17-0 for NE at half time with Crepeau being hung out to dry.

On 7/17/2019 at 9:05 PM, Gian-Luca said:

Edwards hasn't seen the field since being at fault for a goal in Chicago's upset loss to St. Louis in USL play, but they have largely stunk without him since he's been nailed to the press box.

Based on what the Caps need offensively, they should be trying to get this guy.  The Caps are in free fall and this would be a low risk but potential higher return acquisition.  I can't see a high price tag for him, either.

What do they have to lose?  Do we need to keep watching Bangoura or Venuto underwhelm?

On 7/25/2019 at 8:58 PM, BearcatSA said:

Based on what the Caps need offensively, they should be trying to get this guy.  The Caps are in free fall and this would be a low risk but potential higher return acquisition.  I can't see a high price tag for him, either.

What do they have to lose?  Do we need to keep watching Bangoura or Venuto underwhelm?

In the case of Venuto, the answer appears to be "apparently not"

• 5 months later...

I don't know what the record is, but Montreal and Vancouver will surely be in the double-digits, with the Caps possibly having as many as 12 Canadians on the books this year. I can't remember a single team ever having that much, but in the past I do remember getting excited when a team would have half that amount (that's where TFC seem to be atm).

Montreal and Vancouver only have a single American thus far (by my count). Considering MLS is an American League, I am very proud of Montreal and Vancouver for having squads that are genuinely Canadian. Aside from being a proud Canadian, I think it gives the league a particular flavour that is interesting. To have Canadian teams in MLS that are effectively Canadian in name only due to the number of American players is a bit boring.

Impact and Caps will have just as many Canadians as the average American team has Americans.

Now, we all know that Toronto has some catching up to do. That said, they are becoming a launching pad for Canadians into other MLS teams, which is also cool:

Chpaman at Inter Miami

Hamilton at Columbus Crew

Edwards at Chicago Fire

Kaye at LAFC

I think we are in a good place. Two real Canadian clubs and one quasi-Canadian club that is spreading Canadians to the American teams. It's not a bad place to be.

Edited by Obinna

Well, TFC do have 6 Canadians on their roster (and a bunch of Americans), with an additional 14 on their TFCII roster, although some of these players aren't signed to my knowledge (Jayden Nelson is on the TFCII roster, but not signed YET!).  There is talk they will sign more homegrown players to their full roster, but not sure what that means regarding playing time (see Dunn-Johnson and Okello).  Read that they re-signed Luca Uccello to TFC II as well on the weekend.

• RS unpinned this topic