Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Gian-Luca

Canadians in MLS 2019 Season

Recommended Posts

This is what I want to see in MLS. I respect the new approach by Montreal. TFC, I call them "Team America"... last 3 games...7 Americans for 3 or 4 Canadians.

Montreal Impact game before this one, 4 Canadians vs 2 Americans and the game before...3 Canadians vs 2 Americans.

I don't get why TFC like this...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Ansem said:
This is what I want to see in MLS. I respect the new approach by Montreal. TFC, I call them "Team America"... last 3 games...7 Americans for 3 or 4 Canadians.

Montreal Impact game before this one, 4 Canadians vs 2 Americans and the game before...3 Canadians vs 2 Americans.

I don't get why TFC like this...

American front office. Manning, Bez/Curtis, Vanney et al.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Ansem said:
This is what I want to see in MLS. I respect the new approach by Montreal. TFC, I call them "Team America"... last 3 games...7 Americans for 3 or 4 Canadians.

Montreal Impact game before this one, 4 Canadians vs 2 Americans and the game before...3 Canadians vs 2 Americans.

I don't get why TFC like this...

I could be wrong but TFC have played Canadians for 1532 minutes this season ( 255 Canadian mins/g) vs the Impacts 1859 (206/g). TFC have played 3 less games. Whitecaps are at 1969 minutes (246/g). Things will obviously change as the year goes on, but the way Garde rotates the squad I expect to see less Canadian Action on Saturday (though hope AJH starts ahead of Urruti).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AJH is such a supersub....so good at taking those chances and burying them. Still would love to see him get enough minutes to have an actual breakthrough year in MLS. If not, I'd honestly like to see him try his hand in Europe. Could do some damage by starting small like Occean but needs a club or two to fully believe in him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jordan said:

I could be wrong but TFC have played Canadians for 1532 minutes this season ( 255 Canadian mins/g) vs the Impacts 1859 (206/g). TFC have played 3 less games. Whitecaps are at 1969 minutes (246/g). Things will obviously change as the year goes on, but the way Garde rotates the squad I expect to see less Canadian Action on Saturday (though hope AJH starts ahead of Urruti).

TFC have 958 Canadian minutes from 6 MLS matches (and a further 121 if you count Akinola for some reason). They may in fact have 1532 if you include their CCL matches but then you have to change your denominator to get the correct per game number (in MLS it's 160/g or 180/g if you count Akinola).

Piette does seem to be the only Canadian in Garde's first choice squad but some of yesterday's squad, especially ZBG and Bayiha, surely are forcing their way into the discussion.

Edited by jonovision

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jonovision said:

TFC have 958 Canadian minutes from 6 MLS matches (and a further 121 if you count Akinola for some reason). They may in fact have 1532 if you include their CCL matches but then you have to change your denominator to get the correct per game number (in MLS it's 160/g or 180/g if you count Akinola).

Piette does seem to be the only Canadian in Garde's first choice squad but some of yesterday's squad, especially ZBG and Bayiha, surely are forcing their way into the discussion.

That could be it, i was counting numbers from the team websites. I thought someone use to keep track of Canadian minutes, maybe Steven Sandor though couldn't find that while I looked.

ZBG started the last Wednesday game i think, then Sagna started on the weekend. Statistically ZBG has done well so hopefully he does play more and more.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jordan said:

That could be it, i was counting numbers from the team websites. I thought someone use to keep track of Canadian minutes, maybe Steven Sandor though couldn't find that while I looked.

 ZBG started the last Wednesday game i think, then Sagna started on the weekend. Statistically ZBG has done well so hopefully he does play more and more.

 

Sandor did it on his old site. I did it too but I haven't fired up the spreadsheet for 2019, but my impression this year was that TFC was more or less the same they had always been, Vancouver was significantly up, due largely to having a Canadian starting goalkeeper, and Montreal was only running with Piette until we had a few of these midweek games with the squad rotation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Ansem said:

This is what I want to see in MLS. I respect the new approach by Montreal. TFC, I call them "Team America"... last 3 games...7 Americans for 3 or 4 Canadians.

Montreal Impact game before this one, 4 Canadians vs 2 Americans and the game before...3 Canadians vs 2 Americans.

I'm puzzled as to why the nationality of the non-Canadians on each team are a big deal. Whether they're American, Nigerian or Martian, why does it matter?

Instead of framing it as Canadians vs. Americans, why not Canadians vs. non-Canadians? Quite frankly, all three MLS teams can improve in that regard, so why worry about whether the rest of the team originates from Ohio or Torino?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, RS said:

I'm puzzled as to why the nationality of the non-Canadians on each team are a big deal. Whether they're American, Nigerian or Martian, why does it matter?

Instead of framing it as Canadians vs. Americans, why not Canadians vs. non-Canadians? Quite frankly, all three MLS teams can improve in that regard, so why worry about whether the rest of the team originates from Ohio or Torino?

The whole league is set up for americans.  There are 21 teams that put a premium on american talent, why should we (the 3 CDN clubs) do the same??  TFC currently have 2 international spots open, and a couple that are virtually wasted on Endoh and Bakero.  I can see why american clubs stuff the roster with americans, but why do we??

Lets leave the CDN content out as are doing fairly well there (if Chapman, Hamilton and maybe Frasier can get minutes), although it would make me happy if we shitcanned some americans and replaced them with CDN.  But we have americans on the roster that could be replaced with INT very easily.  We could dump ZAV and Delgado, take the almost 500g of cap space and get better value for our money with a INT.  Why bring in Boyd, when we could have gotten anyone, from anywhere??  WHy should we have "projects", ie develop players for the USMNT??  If they are not CDN and we have INT slots open..why the nasty habit of stockpiling americans??  Because thats the way the american coach and front office want it.  

Edited by Bison44

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bison44 said:

The whole league is set up for americans.  There are 21 teams that put a premium on american talent, why should we (the 3 CDN clubs) do the same??  TFC currently have 2 international spots open, and a couple that are virtually wasted on Endoh and Bakero.  I can see why american clubs stuff the roster with americans, but why do we??

Lets leave the CDN content out as are doing fairly well there (if Chapman, Hamilton and maybe Frasier can get minutes), although it would make me happy if we shitcanned some americans and replaced them with CDN.  But we have americans on the roster that could be replaced with INT very easily.  We could dump ZAV and Delgado, take the almost 500g of cap space and get better value for our money with a INT.  Why bring in Boyd, when we could have gotten anyone, from anywhere??  WHy should we have "projects", ie develop players for the USMNT??  If they are not CDN and we have INT slots open..why the nasty habit of stockpiling americans??  Because thats the way the american coach and front office want it.  

The post I was responding to was about Americans on the field vs. Canadians. Of the ones you named, only Delgado gets any real playing time, and he was integral to TFC's 2017 MLS Cup win (as was Zavaleta, but both have regressed since then). 

As you said yourself, the league is set up for Americans. That includes how they are counted on team's rosters vs. other internationals. That naturally means that even on the Cdn MLS teams there will be a few Yanks on the squads, unless they want to go the MTL route and trade away assets for more international spots (which hasn't exactly proven to work for IMFC as of yet).

The difference of philosophy seems to be born out of a desire to not want to burn assets on international spots, as well as the respective front offices' knowledge base. You can argue whether TFC have used their domestic (and international spots) effectively, but that's a different discussion.

At the end of the day IMFC is only regularly starting Piette and TFC is only regularly starting Osorio, which should be the bigger focus here. I honestly couldn't care less whether our MLS clubs are developing Americans, Ugandans or Argentines as long as Canadians are still lagging behind where they should be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On April 27, 2019 at 8:47 PM, Gian-Luca said:

Tajon Buchanan gets the start for NE against KC and Brian Wright is on the bench

Same thing again on Star Wars Day game against the Union 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Tajon Buchanan played the first 36 minutes for NE in a friendly against Chelsea (apparently he was injured) . Brian Wright played the 2nd half. This was the first game for the team under new head coach Bruce Arena.

Edited by Gian-Luca

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Akindele strikes again for Orlando who lead Montreal 2-0 late in the first half. ZBG has just entered the game while Piette, AJH and Will Johnson also started. Shome & Miller are on the bench

Edit - and now Will Johnson has scored for Orlando as well. 3-0, still in the first half

Edited by Gian-Luca

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...