MLS increases TAM from $1.2 million to $4 million for the 2018, 2019 seasons.

harrycoyster

Just when you thought the salary cap rules couldnt get any more confusing or convoluted.  Use it on a new HG, but not an old HG, buy down a DP contract but only if you buy a pizza of equal or higher value at the same time.  And they'll throw in a 2L of pepsi on every 2 for 1 deal.  

22 minutes ago, Chad_Impact said:

Great, Saputo (a family with 6.5 BILLION net worth) can complain that we can't spend with the big boys even more now. 

The rumors in the MLS twittersphere are that the high spending owners (Seattle, LA, TFC, Orlando, Atlanta, etc.) aren't happy that there are low spending clubs that aren't helping grow the league who have owners that are sitting back and letting the high spending teams push up the MLS team sale price. They hope the TAM increase will force the bottom feeders to sell or invest in their club. 

3 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

The rumors in the MLS twittersphere are that the high spending owners (Seattle, LA, TFC, Orlando, Atlanta, etc.) aren't happy that there are low spending clubs that aren't helping grow the league who have owners that are sitting back and letting the high spending teams push up the MLS team sale price. They hope the TAM increase will force the bottom feeders to sell or invest in their club. 

Forcing negligent owners to sell their clubs sounds good to me as long as the clubs stay where they are.  

(I should note that Saputo is far from a negligent owner, I just believe that he could do more than what he claims) 

2 minutes ago, Chad_Impact said:

Forcing negligent owners to sell their clubs sounds good to me as long as the clubs stay where they are.  

(I should note that Saputo is far from a negligent owner, I just believe that he could do more than what he claims) 

I think its more focused towards clubs like Colorado and New England, who have 8.1 billion and 6.2 billion net worth owners who don't seem to care about their team in any aspect (bottom five academies, bad stadium situations, bottom five spending, no marketing presence in their markets, etc.). 

3 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

I think its more focused towards clubs like Colorado and New England, who have 8.1 billion and 6.2 billion net worth owners who don't seem to care about their team in any aspect (bottom five academies, bad stadium situations, bottom five spending, no marketing presence in their markets, etc.). 

Undoubtedly directed towards them

9 hours ago, Chad_Impact said:

If Joey were running the team properly he could be cheap and still have a good team. The problem is we have a poorly run team with cheap owners.

11 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

Makes sense. The numbers balance on that issue has probably shifted considerably with expansion.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/12/08/mls-announces-increase-targeted-allocation-money-2018-and-2019

Q: Garber on concerns the Vancouver Whitecaps can’t match league’s big-spending clubs:

A: Our league is evolving. We’ve got a number of different goals in order to be the league we want to be. One of those goals is to continue being more competitive with our neighbours in Mexico. Another one of those goals is to capture the fans in our respective cities that are connected to larger clubs...

There are still a lot of soccer fans in a city like Toronto that don't take MLS seriously and spending more on salaries to field teams that don't just have big name marquee players surrounded by guys that would struggle to get a contract with clubs most people will have actually heard of in Europe but have greater strength in depth through Victor Vazquez type signings is the obvious way to address that.

Yeah, as much as I have voiced displeasure with some of the things MLS has done in the past (domestics being the most obvious example) and will prioritize CPL, I still enjoy MLS and think that having 3 Canadian clubs will end up being huge given the trajectory of the league.  This kind of "rising tide raises all boats" approach will do great things for the overall league quality, and is the sort of thing needed to bring the league to the next level (tier 2 rather than tier 3 on a global scale?). The DP move did what it was supposed to do - now it is time to raise the base of the pyramid.

3 hours ago, Club Linesman said:

Huge move for the league. Add 3-4 Vazquezs to sac team and MLS will be much improved. If Canadians can play on that league we will be alright.  Question is will they have the quality when MLS improves?

More like 5 or 6 Vazquez's (think he's on 700K) on top of the 3 DP's. Leaves about $2.5M of cap space for the other 11-12 players on the on-budget roster. 

The more i think about it we're going to see even fewer Canadians playing in this league. Heck, as much as Osorio is being praised i think this move eventually relegates him and the other Canadians at TFC to the bench or press box on a regular basis. Sure, the ones that will play (if any) will be playing at a higher level but this will create even less incentive for the clubs to invest in development.

We definitely need CPL to happen <fingers crossed>.

I agree jpg75, but we might see a few different types of canadians as well.  If there is more money to throw around (along with a corresponding higher level of play) guys like Hoilet, Borjan, Hutch, Cavallini might think twice about coming back to Canada to play.  And Larin, Davies Tabla etc might not be so quick to head to europe.  

But if MLS gets better and better over the next few years, we HAVE TO HAVE a CPL to bridge that gap for the youngsters that cant make the expanding leap from academy to the first team.  And even if they are affiliates of MLS squads or full of MLS academy cast offs then I'll hold my nose and like it.  

13 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

I agree jpg75, but we might see a few different types of canadians as well.  If there is more money to throw around (along with a corresponding higher level of play) guys like Hoilet, Borjan, Hutch, Cavallini might think twice about coming back to Canada to play.  And Larin, Davies Tabla etc might not be so quick to head to europe...

That's the way to look at it, in my opinion. Having a league where more of our very best players will want to stay home would be huge. Changed days from when the question was whether Chris Pozniak would come back from Haugesund.

This will definately bury some of our fringe guys.  I just hope the academies will still bring guys along even if they do end up not making it and jumping to college or somewhere else (lower european leagues) etc.  I would hate for our MLS clubs to decide that the chances of bringing along a CDN kid good enough to crack the 1st team is so remote, that they might as well save the money for South american scouts and just bring in cheap foreign talent already polished up.  

On 2017-12-08 at 2:19 PM, Chad_Impact said:

Great, Saputo (a family with 6.5 BILLION net worth) can complain that we can't spend with the big boys even more now. 

Chad. Honestly I think Joey is not very serious on winning and taking it to the next level. Just look at the stadium. It's a bunch of high school bleachers. Getting a gk that played already in the CCL and was ineligible to play vs America in the final was stupid. Relying on Div2 Christian Nicht vs America in the final at home after coming off a draw where you had an away goal at Azteca, the chance to win a continental cup, and play Real Madrid was really really stupid. Plus look works in the front office! If they were such amazing directors why not send them to Bologna to run that team? Italians would think they're a joke. They're seriously underqualified. 

I'm sorry, as an impact fan myself I really find they are amateurs that don't take it seriously. If Joey was  serious he'd put the money where his mouth is and hire competent people to run the club and not open it up to nepotism you'd find at your local depanneur.

The one big move was when they got Drogba, that created a great buzz. Unfortunately they didn't use him to his potential w the team and staff they had in 2016. The hiring of Garde is a step in the right direction but falling asleep at the office for the off-season on x2 occasions doesn't inspire fan base confidence. We will see how serious they are come Jan 1st. 

22 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Q: Garber on concerns the Vancouver Whitecaps can’t match league’s big-spending clubs:

A: Our league is evolving. We’ve got a number of different goals in order to be the league we want to be. One of those goals is to continue being more competitive with our neighbours in Mexico. Another one of those goals is to capture the fans in our respective cities that are connected to larger clubs...

There are still a lot of soccer fans in a city like Toronto that don't take MLS seriously and spending more on salaries to field teams that don't just have big name marquee players surrounded by guys that would struggle to get a contract with clubs most people will have actually heard of in Europe but have greater strength in depth through Victor Vazquez type signings is the obvious way to address that.

You can't really blame them. Tonight's final was pretty poor quality and entertainment. In fact I found the whole playoffs this year to be a bore and lackluster with just the quality of div 2 of one of the major Euro leagues.

the only thing fun about last years playoffs was TFC vs IMFC. That was intense. 

5 hours ago, Bison44 said:

This will definately bury some of our fringe guys.  I just hope the academies will still bring guys along even if they do end up not making it...

As long as the homegrown player rule gives teams an extra edge then I am confident they will. Players like Edwards, Osorio and Chapman had a role to play in TFC's success this season, because the big money players from elsewhere get injured, suspended and called up for international duty. Would be good if CanPL could play a role in that rather than going full NASL and trying to be a rival when they don't have the resources to genuinely compete. Never go full NASL.

13 hours ago, jpg75 said:

More like 5 or 6 Vazquez's (think he's on 700K) on top of the 3 DP's. Leaves about $2.5M of cap space for the other 11-12 players on the on-budget roster. 

The more i think about it we're going to see even fewer Canadians playing in this league. Heck, as much as Osorio is being praised i think this move eventually relegates him and the other Canadians at TFC to the bench or press box on a regular basis. Sure, the ones that will play (if any) will be playing at a higher level but this will create even less incentive for the clubs to invest in development.

We definitely need CPL to happen <fingers crossed>.

If Osorio keeps playing the way he did tonight their will be no need for some foreign player to come here and take his job I don't care how much money TFC have to go get another player, if the other Canadian players new ones and ones in the MLS already can step up their game and play like Osorio played tonight they will keep playing and stay on the field and I'm talking to you Champan and you Edwards , both of these guys have had some decent games but then followed my many bad games if they can find the consistency that's needed when they are called upon to play they will play more  and play over the foreign player .

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 1:51 AM, Moldy9 said:

Chad. Honestly I think Joey is not very serious on winning and taking it to the next level. Just look at the stadium. It's a bunch of high school bleachers. Getting a gk that played already in the CCL and was ineligible to play vs America in the final was stupid. Relying on Div2 Christian Nicht vs America in the final at home after coming off a draw where you had an away goal at Azteca, the chance to win a continental cup, and play Real Madrid was really really stupid. Plus look works in the front office! If they were such amazing directors why not send them to Bologna to run that team? Italians would think they're a joke. They're seriously underqualified. 

I'm sorry, as an impact fan myself I really find they are amateurs that don't take it seriously. If Joey was  serious he'd put the money where his mouth is and hire competent people to run the club and not open it up to nepotism you'd find at your local depanneur.

The one big move was when they got Drogba, that created a great buzz. Unfortunately they didn't use him to his potential w the team and staff they had in 2016. The hiring of Garde is a step in the right direction but falling asleep at the office for the off-season on x2 occasions doesn't inspire fan base confidence. We will see how serious they are come Jan 1st. 

Right on I did not renew my season ticket package last year and unless Saputo hires gets rid of his amateurs in front office club is going nowhere. Saputo family are happy he is not involved their business and the Impact is a great place to keep him out of their cheese business. I am still fuming about when asked in an interview he showed up and seemed to be hammered. When they asked him about the 4 stars on in the logo he could not remember which one of them represented. How embarrassing for Montreal that the Fu**ing owner is that out to lunch.

It is my love of the game and the Ultras and players who keep me interested.

Archived