Peru-NZ WCQ Playoff

nolando

14 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I wish just once we would return the favor.  

Won't happen. First off our military would never engage in exercises designed to disrupt the peace because that would be waste of resources for the wrong reasons. Second we have civilized cities that would not put up with people disrupting the peace for a soccer game. 

Well i get we wouldnt do a fly by but how about the late night fireworks and noisy parades?  Cars circling the hotel leaning on the horns??  If we are going to bemoan our players lack of passion and the lack of fierce competition they are exposed to, can we exclude ourselves from the same critisism??  We as fans have adopted a lazy entitled a "I'm Voyaguer, I've made it" attitude.  Instead of the fight for your spot everyday to be a CMNT fan like German fans experience.  Who here has practised throwing pissbags lately?  Who will go the extra mile, endangering the public safety by pulling a fire alarm in the hotel??  If we are ever going to be on a level of Germany or Peru or even Honduras, we have to take a long look in the mirror, set aside "civilized cities" and do whatever it takes as fans to help the team, or just be a-holes.   

Passion is passion.  When winning is everything, you do what you can to help your team.  

Some things are going too far, such as throwing bricks at the opposing team bus like Chile did to Peru in 1997, and whistling and booing the other teams anthem like the Italians just did to Sweden.  Laser pointers I also think are off side.

But fireworks, noise outside hotels, attending opposing teams training sessions and insulting them, that's all fair game to Voyageurs as far as I'm concerned.  Paraguay sent a bunch of pre paid prostitutes to Venezuela's hotel the night before their game in October to disrupt their sleep, I'm on the fence about this one. 

Re piss bags, I just dont know how its done.  Ive considered pissed filled water balloons but the logistics are too complicated, and chances of premature rupture are high, not to mention splash back when filling up.  Otherwise, what kind of bag would one use?  Zip locks wont explode when you throw it at a person.  I just dont get it.  

I think JPG has a point, our young fans need to get EU passports/go to germany and learn what its like to really be a fan.  And if they show the prerequisite amount of passion they can come back and cheer, if not i would just as happy if the stands at BMO are filled with Hondurans and journeyman americans.

BrennanFan, you need to think outside the box.  Fill your coffee thermos with piss before the game, bring the ballons/bags with you. Practice in the backyard, you'll get the hang of it.  (My neighbors dont even mind anymore) My themos has a neat little spout, easy to avoid back splash. Fill them in the stands and then they are still warm when they hit those smug Hondurans rolling around time wasting.    

14 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

These countries claim poverty yet they have public money for that kind of nonsense.

FIFA should void the result and have the match replayed at a neutral venue. That would instantly stop this kind of bull.

Yeah. The fact that military resources were used to intimidate an opposing team shuold be sending off alarm bells. 

1 hour ago, dsqpr said:

These countries claim poverty yet they have public money for that kind of nonsense.

FIFA should void the result and have the match replayed at a neutral venue. That would instantly stop this kind of bull.

55 minutes ago, yomurphy1 said:

Yeah. The fact that military resources were used to intimidate an opposing team shuold be sending off alarm bells. 

I agree but the problem is the aircraft have to be used and maintained. Arguments will be made that this was a scheduled exercise similar to military fly overs at CFL or MLB games. 

I saw both games in their entirety.  New Zealand lost not because any potential noisy night, they lost because Peru was a better team with crafty players.  New Zealand appeared to be counting on a scoreless tie and PKs since they put they tallest attacking players near the end, when it was too late.  IMO they should have started their tall guy from the start to try get a goal which would have forced Perú to score 2.  At the end, Perú did score 2 but N.Z. got zippo.

1 hour ago, The Ref said:

I saw both games in their entirety.  New Zealand lost not because any potential noisy night, they lost because Peru was a better team with crafty players.  New Zealand appeared to be counting on a scoreless tie and PKs since they put they tallest attacking players near the end, when it was too late.  IMO they should have started their tall guy from the start to try get a goal which would have forced Perú to score 2.  At the end, Perú did score 2 but N.Z. got zippo.

The "tall guy" had a tight hamstring and could only play limited minutes in both games.  Unfortunate because he was their only prayer of ever scoring a goal.

1 hour ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

The "tall guy" had a tight hamstring and could only play limited minutes in both games.  Unfortunate because he was their only prayer of ever scoring a goal.

Didn't know that.  Still I would have started him.  I always started games with my strongest team.  Once you fall behind it is harder to come back versus just holding on to a lead.  As strong as Peru may be, don't think they will get far in Russia.  However Peru were missing their top player due to a 30 day suspension.

Ironically, Peru qualified only because Chile appealed their match against Bolivia for the use of an ineligible player. Chile won their appeal and so, with the match having originally ended in a draw, gained an extra two points. However, Bolivia also used the same player in their defeat of Peru, so Peru gained an extra three points, enough to tie Chile in the table and advance on goal difference. Had Chile not appealed, they would have finished one point ahead of Peru and qualified for the playoff instead.

7 hours ago, DJT said:

Ironically, Peru qualified only because Chile appealed their match against Bolivia for the use of an ineligible player. Chile won their appeal and so, with the match having originally ended in a draw, gained an extra two points. However, Bolivia also used the same player in their defeat of Peru, so Peru gained an extra three points, enough to tie Chile in the table and advance on goal difference. Had Chile not appealed, they would have finished one point ahead of Peru and qualified for the playoff instead.

This is just poor reasoning.  These points were awarded over a year before the campaign ended.  Peru "only qualified" because they went undefeated in 2017 won 4 games down the stretch. You fight for the points you need in the situation youre in. 

Peru is a modest team that always gets screwed by the refs and conmebol, much like Canada.  If you want to see some real cheating and corruption, check out the first game in this cycle between Chile and Peru, where Peru is leading 2-1, Peru gets an absolutely bogus red card, Chile injures a Peruvian player who gets treatment off field and then is not allowed back on the pitch for an insanely long time, enough for Chile to score 2 goals while up 2 men.  

The points Peru were awarded was sweet Justice with a capital J.  Their qualification is completely deserved. 

20 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I think JPG has a point, our young fans need to get EU passports/go to germany and learn what its like to really be a fan.  And if they show the prerequisite amount of passion they can come back and cheer, if not i would just as happy if the stands at BMO are filled with Hondurans and journeyman americans.

BrennanFan, you need to think outside the box.  Fill your coffee thermos with piss before the game, bring the ballons/bags with you. Practice in the backyard, you'll get the hang of it.  (My neighbors dont even mind anymore) My themos has a neat little spout, easy to avoid back splash. Fill them in the stands and then they are still warm when they hit those smug Hondurans rolling around time wasting.    

But what happens if we lose these dual nationals because they have the chance to cheer for Germany?  This board would be littered with 71 page posts about the "Importance of Bison44"...

2 hours ago, kacbru said:

But what happens if we lose these dual nationals because they have the chance to cheer for Germany?  This board would be littered with 71 page posts about the "Importance of Bison44"...

Bison44 is already cap-tied so don't worry about him.

We filter out only the non-whores and send their pure souls on missions abroad.

22 hours ago, DJT said:

Ironically, Peru qualified only because Chile appealed their match against Bolivia for the use of an ineligible player. Chile won their appeal and so, with the match having originally ended in a draw, gained

an extra two points. However, Bolivia also used the same player in their defeat of Peru, so Peru gained an extra three points, enough to tie Chile in the table and advance on goal difference.

14 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

This is just poor reasoning.  These points were awarded over a year before the campaign ended.  Peru "only qualified" because they went undefeated in 2017 won 4 games down the stretch. You fight for the points you need in the situation youre in. 

@ DJT, this is the only part that does not sit well with me, as I know from the back of my mind, had it not been for this, they wouldn't have qualified and finished 7th instead... Certainly they rode Lady Luck to get where they are (as cheesy as this sound, wish they hadn't rely on this, particularly as it came under the expense of my other country ironically as it was them whom reported to FIFA the fielding of that ineligible player... Came back to bite them after all, who would've knew, right?) And @ BrennanFan ...  I totally give them merit for their strong performance in this calendar year as they have gone undefeated , albeit picking up 4 draws along the way for a total record of 6-0-4... But those points awarded by FIFA over the table or however you wanna call it (de mesa as they call it down there) definitely were a boost... Like I mentioned to DJT, Lady Luck was in their side and may have motivated them to play the way they did... Still full credit to their strong play and monumental feat

CANMNT and Peru eligible prospect.... 

Archived