2017 u15 CONCACAF Championship

harrycoyster

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ivan Hirankunda made a number of saves to keep the boys in it, Rafael Pinzon is an absolute force, and Jayden Nelson clearly has MLS starter potential, but in the end the defense just wasn't good enough...as has been the Achilles' heel of our youth teams for years now.

Because only one team advances from each group, the u15s will need to beat Costa Rica and T&T while hoping the US drops points to advance.

Why do they have the best 8 teams in two groups and then all of the minnows in the other 8. That is just an awful format for a tournament

1 hour ago, harrycoyster said:

The tournament kicked off an hour ago with Mexico v Honduras and USA v Canada. This can easily be considered the best u15 Canada has had in a few cycles.

Roster: http://canadasoccer.com/index.php?t=project&sid=1211

Thanks harrycoyster.  You seem connected so I am curious why you think this is the best U15 team in years.  Has Pinzon lived most of his life here or in Mexico?

7 minutes ago, canta15 said:

Why do they have the best 8 teams in two groups and then all of the minnows in the other 8. That is just an awful format for a tournament

Below the u17 level CONCACAF uses a tiered grouping system. The best 8 teams go into groups 1 and 2, next 8 into groups 3 and 44, and so on. They do that so that there aren't as many blowouts which are developmentally useless for 15 year old kids.

I actually prefer getting our u15s matches against the US, Costa Rica, and T&T even if we don't advance over having a group of Bermuda, Guadeloupe and Montserrat then drawing a competitive team in the knockout stage. I just wish more than one team advanced from the top groups.

22 minutes ago, Ivan said:

Thanks harrycoyster.  You seem connected so I am curious why you think this is the best U15 team in years.  Has Pinzon lived most of his life here or in Mexico?

I've talked to people who know a lot more about our youth programs than me that have told me this group can be special. Most technically gifted group in recent memory. It's too early to project anything definitively about pro careers, but this team should be able to compete with the US and Mexico at most positions during the 2018-2019 u17 cycle. The defense is concerning however.

Pinzon was born in Mexico and moved to Ontario at 9 after a period in Brazil. Played at a number of clubs in Ontario and was noticed by Mexican scouts at a youth tournament last year. He's moved to Pachuca earlier in 2017 and was invited to a Mexican u15 identification camp this summer. He has as good a shot on him as you'll find in a u15 player and can beat players with skill.

31 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

I think one of the best things about the team is the breakdown:

5 from TFC

4 from Montreal

2 from Vancouver

7 from other programs.

At least they looked at some other places than just TFC academy.

5 non-MLS kids on the field for the second half, which was a 0-0 half. Pretty impressive considering the US team was basically a USSDA all-star team.

Though it should probably be said that the USA's team would have been significantly stronger had they called in their players playing aboard like we did with Pinzon. The US has a kid named Josh  Pynadath, who wears the number 10 for the Ajax u16s (playing up a year). He's...scary.

17 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

5 non-MLS kids on the field for the second half, which was a 0-0 half. Pretty impressive considering the US team was basically a USSDA all-star team.

Though it should probably be said that the USA's team would have been significantly stronger had they called in their players playing aboard like we did with Pinzon. The US has a kid named Josh  Pynadath, who wears the number 10 for the Ajax u16s (playing up a year). He's...scary.

Just watched the highlights. Usually I don't read into highlights too much, but it's insane that a kid can do what that kid's doing at 15 years old playing against kids older than him. Wow.

When did he join Ajax? (was he primarily developed at Ajax or in the US?)

4 minutes ago, saladroit said:

Just watched the highlights. Usually I don't read into highlights too much, but it's insane that a kid can do what that kid's doing at 15 years old playing against kids older than him. Wow.

When did he join Ajax? (was he primarily developed at Ajax or in the US?)

Don't know all that much about him besides that he moved from a USSDA team in San Diego to Real Madrid's academy in 2015, but was forced to leave due to issues Real had with FIFA laws regarding the signing youth players. Moved to Ajax where he is the wonderkid amoungst wonderkids. Only eligible for the US and India so the US doesn't even have to worry about a second nationality. He's allowed to be in Europe because his dad has residency in France or something like that.

12 minutes ago, Blackjack15 said:

Their next match is against Costa Rica Tomorrow at 11:00 PM ET Local time 

I love how CONCACAF Decided to host The U-15 Championship in IMG Academy! 

IMG Academy is actually hosting the tournament free of charge and is having free coaching lessons so that all of the countries' u15 coaches can get US coaching licenses. As I understand it CONCACAF is only paying for travel. This tournament actually hasn't been held since 2007 due to lack of funding. 

9 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

Ivan Hirankunda made a number of saves to keep the boys in it, Rafael Pinzon is an absolute force, and Jayden Nelson clearly has MLS starter potential, but in the end the defense just wasn't good enough...as has been the Achilles' heel of our youth teams for years now.

Because only one team advances from each group, the u15s will need to beat Costa Rica and T&T while hoping the US drops points to advance.

Our youth nationals teams have had below average defenders, along with some average or above average attackers in recent cycles.

In addition, our young defenders, especially CBs, find it tough going to get a chance in MLS relative to attackers.

50 minutes ago, Soccerpro said:

In addition, our young defenders, especially CBs, find it tough going to get a chance in MLS relative to attackers.

That's likely just a result of the level of defensive talent that we are producing. I don't think MLS GMs discriminate against Canadian CBs specifically. Our CBs are behind American and Central American CBs even at the u15 age group, and the gap only widens as you move up age groups.

No idea why it's happening, no idea how to fix it. 

11 minutes ago, Ivan said:

Do you know the Costa Rica  vs. T & T score?  Is there a link to the tournament standings?

Costa Rica beat T&T 4-0. CONCACAF isn't updating the standings for whatever reason, but our group is:

USA: 2-0-0 +8 6pts

Costa Rica: 1-0-0 +4 3pts

Canada: 0-0-1 -2  0pts

T&T: 0-0-2 -10 0pts

According to the Canada Soccer Twitter account, we're doing quite well today versus Costa Rica.

GOAL! #canm15 Malik Henry gives Canada the 1-0 lead in the second half after a great pass from Ralph Priso-Mbongue.

GOAL!! #canm15 Canada makes it 2-0 as Matthew Radivojsa scores for Canada!

GOAL!!! Canada makes it 3-0 as sub Sean Rea scores shortly after entering the match! Rea scores after the pass from Jérémie Omeonga Nkoy.

EDIT: looks like it's ended that way. Good result. 

FINAL: Canada wins 3-0 over Costa Rica at  the CONCACAF Boys' Under-15 Championship. Goals by Malik Henry, Matthew Radivojsa & Sean Rea.

From CSA Twitter, all 3 goals scored after Pinzon came off.  Seemed he and Nelson were quite dangerous (post, big save by CR keeper) while they were on though.  Again, only gleaned from CSA Twitter.  Good result.  Nice to get a clean sheet from our maligned defence. 

Great result from the boys. It looks like Costa Rica played 8 different players from their game against T&T yesterday. I don't know enough about their team to say which was the stronger 11.

We now need Costa Rica to beat the US and for us to beat T&T while making up a -7 goal difference to advance. Possible, but unlikely that Costa Rica beats the US.

It appears that the tournament rules posted by US Soccer were wrong/based on a wrong Wikipedia entry, and that the 1st place finishers will play the second place finishers before moving on to the final instead of just playing a 3rd place game. 

Rules: http://www.concacaf.com/competitions/under-15s-menregulations

This means that we might actually want the US to win tomorrow. As it guarantees us second place with a win against lowly T&T and a semifinal match with Mexico. If Costa Rica beats the US and we don't overcome the goal differential with the US or the -2 differential with Costa Rica, we don't advance at all.

Archived