UEFA Women's Champions League

tc-in-bc

28 minutes ago, RS said:

Barca's getting worked.

We're getting hit on counters and being overly innocent in attack. Some players are having a poor day, like Graham Hansen and Hermoso, who disappears too often. Our CBS are being pressured really well. 

But at 1-3 it isn't over if we can score a 2nd with at least some time left. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

3-1, Kadeisha helped the team keep its defensive shape and didn't let Barça get close. Nothing fancy. There were chances for a 3-2, but I think Lyon fully deserved the win.

Her being a sub lately, after years starting: makes it seem rumours of a move may be accurate. 

Barcelona never had a chance.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Chelsea-Barça goes tomorrow, at Stamford Bridge, 2nd leg this upcoming Thursday at Camp Nou.

I hear Buchanan is still injured after pulling out of the Canada camp (or was it during the France game?), perhaps short term, as well as Bright the other habitual CB, perhaps even longer term. They got Harder back after a long time out.

No word as to whether Fleming might start, she does not tend to lately. Too bad, she compares to Bonmatí and that would be a nice match-up.

Alexia Putellas is still injured for Barça, though it seems she may be close to being ready to return.

The other semi is Wolfsburg-Arsenal. 2nd legs go next week.

Chelsea-Barça, 0-1 at the half. No Fleming, Buchanan out injured as mentioned.

Graham Hansen scores a beauty early goal cutting onto her left from the right and curving it in (the way Davies should play), Chelsea fought back and got behind the Barça defence various times, with a goal called back for a correct but close offside. Very intensely played half. 

I'm a bit disappointed that a more finesse and control player like Fleming does not get starts in favour of more physical players, when the Chelsea midfield really needs some ball talent.

Stamford Bridge just sold the lower tier, you'd expect a bit more fan support with all the hype about the league in England and in the wake of the Euros.

Second leg goes tomorrow at Camp Nou, going with my son. They are expecting upwards of 70,000 fans. This time round FCB are charging more for tickets, though still very cheap they are at least monetising playing in the stadium.

Previews say Buchanan may be ready after injury for the leg, as Chelsea have a makeshift set of CBs with Bright also out. Some media are calling for Fleming to start to help Chelsea get some possession, lacking in the first leg, forcing them into playing long balls. Bronze for FCB is out injured in the first leg, that weakens the FCB right side, Chelsea's attacking left.

Mind you, Chelsea did get behind the Barça defence with the long passes and runs, so they could try that again and just play counterattack. But I'd love to see Fleming match up with Bonmatí for possession and finesse in the middle.

Fleming played to m. 70 and a bit for Chelsea at Camp Nou. In an attacking mid- striker role, don't know why. They did not even leave Kerr up highest. So Fleming was not really part of build up.

That coach they have, Emma Hayes, is very old-fashioned, she has players warm up uselessly at m. 15 of the first half, even the warm-ups before the game or at half-time are embarrassing. Tactically is not that well worked, though the game plan to counter and break down the Barça back line was not bad. Still, she's one of those women's coaches who seems to treat the women as amateurs, with little silly tricks and oddities going on constantly, surprised me really.

Fleming looked good with some sharp passing, pressuring the back line; the team struggled for most of the match though, only had a spell of 20 m mid second half. 

1-1 Barça go to the final after the 0-1 in the first leg.

Hayes gets lots of hype from British media, including the announcer of today's English broadcast, as a tactical genius. But I haven't seen much of it including when she did studio analyst gigs.

Fleming was largely non-existent. This is based on the eye test, data where she rated only higher than Chelsea's keeper and CANWNT twitter which was quiet during & post match even though she has a lot of fangirls.

22 hours ago, red card said:

Hayes gets lots of hype from British media, including the announcer of today's English broadcast, as a tactical genius. But I haven't seen much of it including when she did studio analyst gigs.

Fleming was largely non-existent. This is based on the eye test, data where she rated only higher than Chelsea's keeper and CANWNT twitter which was quiet during & post match even though she has a lot of fangirls.

Didn't know that about Hayes. They did one thing I liked, make multiple runs to get past a very high Barcelona line on long balls. It was a bit NCAA but we let them get success doing it a bit.

Really, what bothers me is that hey, it's women's football, let's make up freaky thing to do that u15 guys wouldn't ever be caught dead doing. For me not treating it and training it like the same game is self demeaning and borderline sexist. No, play it straight up and don't be smart ass because you're a women's coach.

Was saying to my son how I loved the way Barça fans pressured the ref, Chelsea players, for everything. Good for the women's game to held to the same standards and subject to the same irrationally fanatical fan conditions.

I thought Wolfsburg blew it when they let Arsenal come back for a draw in leg 1. Then, I thought it was all over when they went down 1-0 early in Leg 2. But their superior bench came through over a depleted and youngish Arsenal subs.

Could the growth below be seen in a Canadian women's league. Champions League doesn't have the same history here. Women's hockey league could have achieved similar growth in Canada but didn't.

Edited by red card

On 5/3/2023 at 12:18 AM, red card said:

I thought Wolfsburg blew it when they let Arsenal come back for a draw in leg 1. Then, I thought it was all over when they went down 1-0 early in Leg 2. But their superior bench came through over a depleted and youngish Arsenal subs.

Could the growth below be seen in a Canadian women's league. Champions League doesn't have the same history here. Women's hockey league could have achieved similar growth in Canada but didn't.

I was at Barça - Chelsea, 72,000. But the league games they play at the 2nd stadium for 4000. The only real draws for all teams in Europe, justifying playing in a bigger stadium, are these two quarter and semi final fixtures, maybe a league game if there's a major derby, then only group stage games in CL that are Derby's or major rivalries.

As we stand, Barça women could draw well at Camp Nou for maximum 4-5 matches a year. Understanding that for us 30,000 is not a great look.

In other CL news, Alexia Putellas got league minutes last weekend after 10 months injured, so our strongest piece may be ready for the final.

• 4 months later...

Lacasse & D'Angelo are out of this year's Champions League in Round 1 qualifying as Paris FC knocked out Arsenal in PKs.

Likewise, Grosso is gone as Frankfurt defeated Juve in PKs.

UWCL has 2 rounds before the group stage. Arsenal & Juve were in the League pathway which had 16 teams: runners-up from the associations ranked 7-16th and the third-placed teams from the associations ranked 1st-6th.

The Champions pathway had 41 teams: the champions of the associations ranked 8th and below.

They were put in groups of 4 or 3 and played 2 single elimination matches at a host location. Frankfurt benefited from playing at home.

Arsenal's first match win of 3-0 over host Linköping, watched by a crowd of 7,805, was a UEFA women's club record for Sweden and the biggest-ever for the first stage of the competition.

Canadians on national team remaining are:

Alidou (Benfica advanced via hosting a Champions pathway group)

Leon, Riviere (Manchester United R1 bye)

Viens (Roma R1 bye)

Larisey (BK Häcken R1 bye)

Gilles (Lyon R1 bye)

Buchanan, Fleming, Lawrence (Chelsea R1 bye)

Edited by red card

• 4 months later...

Updating as the group stage has one fixture left, played next week. 

Option for Canadians to get into quarter finals:

Canadians alive in Champions League: Buchanan and Lawrence for Chelsea, they will likely win their group; Alidou and Chandra Davidson (just signed) for Benfica, confirmed 2nd in their group; Vanessa Giles for Lyon, likely win their group; Clarissa Larisey for Haecken if they can draw or win next week; Evelyn Viens for Roma if they can beat Ajax away next week and Bayern Munich does not beat PSG at home. Excellent and quite varied group of players and teams. 

Quarter finals are home and away, middle and end of March. 

Semis home and away in late April.

Final at San Mamés in Bilbao on May 25th.

Buchanan and Lawrence play 90, side by side, as Chelsea won away at Paris FC to win their group in CL. They will have the 2nd leg home in the quarter finals. 

Larisey started with Haecken and played 70 in an away win over Real Madrid, they are through in that group in 2nd, will play quarters with 2nd leg away.

Viens played up top for Roma, they needed to win away to Ajax to have a chance to go through, but lost 2-1. PSG and Ajax go through in that group.

Benfica and Lyon go tomorrow.