UEFA Women's Champions League

tc-in-bc

Champions Draw, first leg 19-20 March, second leg the following week.

19th

Ajax - Chelsea (Lawrence, Buchanan)

Benfica (Alidou, Chandra Davidson (if eligible)) - Olympique de Lyon (Gilles)

20th

Brann-Barcelona

Häcken (Larisey) - PSG

Semis with Canadians would have Chelsea vs. the winner of Brann-Barça, the Benfica-OL winner would face the Häcken-PSG winner.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

• 1 month later...

Benfica 1- Lyon 2

Alidou started for Benfica, Chandra came on for an injury early 1st half as a striker, Gilles played 90 for Lyon, who came back from a 1-0 to win 1-2.

Ajax 0 - Chelsea 3

Total domination from Chelsea, Buchanan plays 90, Lawrence came on m. 73 when they were 2 up to help close out. 

Tomorrow it's 

Brann-Barcelona

Häcken (Larisey) - PSG

While Barça will take care of Brann, Häcken has been playing very well and could cause problems for PSG. I think if Barça sees Chelsea again they'll put it in the Olympic Stadium at least.

Larisey played about 65 for Häcken as they lost 1-2 to PSG, they were inferior, the result was fair. Fans were great in Gothenburg, fine atmosphere in cold, extremely humid weather.

She did very little, I watched for 30 min and she hardly touched the ball and got a yellow, went out; then when I tuned in again 2nd half the commentators were talking about how poor her game had been. Häcken are in preseason still, they have a low block, try to play out, but are slow and telegraph everything, and the ball never even got to Clarissa. I didn't realize, they lost last league on goal difference after tying on points.

Barça dominating with 25 first-half shots at Brann but the Bergen team scored on their sole shot on the counter, 1-1 at the half. 

It's great to have all these Canadian strikers playing Champions, Larisey, Alidou, and Chandra yesterday too, but for me, none of them should be Canadian starters, they are all depth pieces and all could really improve.

Second leg of quarter finals go this week. 

On Wednesday 

Lyon (Gilles) host Benfica (Alidou, Chandra Davidson)

Chelsea (Lawrence, Buchanan) host Ajax

On Thursday

Barcelona host Brann 

PSG host Häcken (Larisey) 

Only outside chances for upsets, as the home teams are all up with 1-2 away wins after the first leg, except Chelsea who won 0-3.

Tuesday

Gilles started and played 90 and Alidou scored to keep Benfica close (3-2 aggregate, ended 6-2) and Chandra Davidson started too, both subbed out late.

Kadeisha subbed out m.66 and Lawrence played 90 as Chelsea drew Ajax 1-1 to go through.

Wednesday

Larisey just came on for Häcken m. 67, they're down 1-0 tonight and 3-1 aggregate. Can she spin a miracle?

Barça beat Brann. 

Otherwise, Buchanan, Gilles and Lawrence are our last women standing in CL.

• 2 weeks later...

Chelsea beat Barcelona 0-1 on an early first half goal, in what was probably one of their better games ever. Very tight lines, hard marking, team discipline. Then second half, massive time wasting and faking injuries, a bit over the top. But it worked for them.

For me, especially first half, Lawrence was their best player, she got down deep, even had a good shot; then in defense held Graham-Hansen very well, as left back. Buchanan was less notable but was marking Paralluelo, who is strong and fast; then was more present in the second half as Barcelona pushed. She had a penalty call against her, for a hand ball, but VAR called it back as she was marking Paralluelo when it happened, who was just offside. Mayra Ramírez for Chelsea was also very good, she does not have the goal scoring Kerr does, but has excellent hold up, is fast and strong, good player.

Probably Barcelona deserved a goal in the 2nd half, and just missed one before the final whistle, but did not do enough to dominate and get the chances. Second leg next weekend at Stamford Bridge, Chelsea in the driver's seat to take down the powerhouse favourite.

36 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Mayra Ramírez for Chelsea was also very good, she does not have the goal scoring Kerr does, but has excellent hold up, is fast and strong, good player.

That's keeps her from being a Ballon D'or contender.  Everything else in her game is high level and getting better.  She can out run more physical but slower defenders and out muscles the quicker, smaller ones.  She also has a good head for the game with some craft and plays with an edgy streak at times.  And finally, she makes her team better:  I don't think she was selected for the Gold Cup, for whatever reason, and Colombia crashed out to the USA in the QFs.  If she is in Paris, she will be a handful for us.

In the other semi, PSG was destroying Lyon in Lyon, had 2 goals and kept coming, could have had more. The Lyon backline was quite the mess, without Gilles. 

Gilles only subbed in m. 57, then I could not watch as someone else claimed the room--but OL came on with three goals in the last 10 minutes, I see, and it ended 3-2 first leg. Will watch that last half hour to give a bit of a Gilles report.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

In the other semi, PSG was destroying Lyon in Lyon, had 2 goals and kept coming, could have had more. The Lyon backline was quite the mess, without Gilles. 

Gilles only subbed in m. 57, then I could not watch as someone else claimed the room--but OL came on with three goals in the last 10 minutes, I see, and it ended 3-2 first leg. Will watch that last half hour to give a bit of a Gilles report.

So watched that last half hour, really spectacular, and in the big stadium in Lyon as well. Gilles went in as right-side centre back, but they had her going forward on set pieces, and often even staying up, on the continuations. Then Renard did the same, Lyon was exposed at the back and Katoto was close to getting a hat trick. Finally, Lyon had those 7 minutes with three goals and could have had more.

Gilles looks heavy set, but is a lot faster than I'd thought. She also has very good defensive positioning, she was holding well in open field, and is tenacious. Really, Lawrence, Buchanan and Gilles on a back line is as good as you can get nowadays internationally.

It was a great week of UEFA Champions League football.

We had the best men's quarterfinals ever. The momentum wasn't lost when then baton was passed onto the women. Two different type of matches but both were delicious. Both are the type of matches that will have the followers of women's game buzzing ex frustrated Barcelona supporters.

And all 3 Canadians played good to well with Lawrence likely having her best match at Chelsea. Buchanan had a shaky start but held solid. Gilles subbed in after Bompastor realized she got her back line wrong.

Edited by red card

On 4/20/2024 at 2:46 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Really, Lawrence, Buchanan and Gilles on a back line is as good as you can get nowadays internationally.

Happy to see that Lawrence had a strong game because some recent Canada performances that I watched had me concerned.

With Jade Rose's steady emergence, this is the back bone and clear strength of our side.  If they are off key, like that WWC match vs Australia, we're not winning.  If this group delivers to their capabilities, then retaining gold in Paris is in the realm of distiinct possibility.

Chelsea - Barcelona 2nd leg is on, with Buchanan and Lawrence. Mid 2nd half right now, it is on Youtube Dazn in Spanish: 

Very well played match, worthy of a final really.

Barça got one back mid first half from Bonmatí, took a slight deflection off Buchanan and went in. 

Second half Buchanan has taken a yellow. She's playing well but under more pressure; Lawrence, on the other hand, is as confident going forward and defending as the first leg. 

Barça is better than the first leg, but Chelsea has great pace and positioning. Chances from both sides, very even. 

Buchanan takes a rash second yellow and is off, red. She both stomps on a player and sends in a wild elbow, in both yellows she was pushing out of the back line to challenge the Barça playmaking, but very close to the centre circle. So really irresponsible, she had to be more cautious on that first yellow. Neither was terrible, but both were enough. 

Chelsea with 10.

Now Lawrence with a dumb penalty on Bonmati, when the other Chelsea player had better position and Bonmati was not in the centre of the box. Ashley comes in too close and clips her leg from behind. 

Rolfo puts it in. 1-2 aggregate for my gals.

Our Canadians have let their team down today, I am thrilled for Barça, but they did not have their heads 100% in the game. 

EDIT: Barcelona into the final. Was very even, this Chelsea is the best team Barça faced all year. But after their antics and time wasting the first leg, I don't feel sorry for them. 

Ramirez out injured hurt Chelsea with having nobody with speed and aggression. Lawrence had a couple of chances to make runs at the goal in the first half but opted for cross field passes.

Most are saying Buchanan's 2nd yellow was harsh. Hayes said it was probably the worst decision in UWCL history. She also said the ref was famous for easy cards - hopefully then she told her players to be cautious as Buchanan's tackle on first yellow was rash. 

Even without the red, it was only a question when Barcelona would score their second. They were the better team overall across both legs.

11 hours ago, red card said:

Ramirez out injured hurt Chelsea with having nobody with speed and aggression. Lawrence had a couple of chances to make runs at the goal in the first half but opted for cross field passes.

Most are saying Buchanan's 2nd yellow was harsh. Hayes said it was probably the worst decision in UWCL history. She also said the ref was famous for easy cards - hopefully then she told her players to be cautious as Buchanan's tackle on first yellow was rash. 

Even without the red, it was only a question when Barcelona would score their second. They were the better team overall across both legs.

Agree about Ramírez.

Hayes is not right about that Buchanan challenge. She is almost at the centre circle, does not touch the ball, steps hard on the foot of the rival then a closed fist goes into her face. Close enough to a yellow to not complain. Maybe she needed to hear from her coach to be careful, or maybe Hayes had to send others out for that challenge, but if Kadeisha cannot read the game situation that is on her.

I was thinking Hayes would be a bad signing for the US, after what I'd seen last year, when Chelsea were terrible. But these two games vs. Barça she coached well, they lined up intelligently, they annulled dangers with Lawrence stopping Graham Hansen, they played wide and attacked strong. They still have little pause and tend to be one fast gear always, but that is the old women's way of playing. I think she won't use the US midfield, and I like our chances vs. the US going forward, but I am not sure she'll be as bad for the US as I'd thought.