FIFA U-17 Women's World Cup - Jordan 2016

sloth8

Have to admit, watching Spain who are a strong team on paper, been European champ, that they too have big holes. They have problems handling things physically, they seem really stretched over a big field, they coast at times, even dominating possession vs. NZ. But NZ also, apart from not expecting them to control anything--some players just made runs, fell to the ground tired, and lay there, tired. No injury, just tired, breathing heavily, asking the ref to wait a sec. This is like little kids, I find it dissappointing in terms of prep. 

All the rest, basic positional, general concept of how to play, tactics, seems actually quite right. But still, they are like relying on the natural athleticism of players instead of working on it.

Any team here should have the conditioning of Germany, not saying size or strength, but conditioning. All these girls should be able to run 15 km over a mountain, you get the sense that in a fun-run they'd have their tongues out. So lacking a bit more athleticism I'd say, which you'd think they'd train better.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, tc-in-bc said:

Wow.  A Canadian keeper  with a win over the USA. You don't see that too often:    U17 USA   1 - 2   U17 Ghana ( Kayza Massey ).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuhGhAATyco

http://www.fifa.com/u17womensworldcup/matches/round=275896/match=300357977/index.html#photos

Wow, two crossbars and a post with one shot at about 1:10 of the highlight package. You don't see that everyday.

5 hours ago, Kent said:

Wow, two crossbars and a post with one shot at about 1:10 of the highlight package. You don't see that everyday.

And even wilder, what they say is that the ball hit the bar, spun incredibly high and out of bounds, over the end line, then somehow managed to spin back into play on the same trajectory, and onto the ground and off the post, into the keeper's hands. 

That defies logic, frankly.

The ref whistled it, on the lineswoman's insistence we guess, and the US players thought the bounce must have gone in and celebrated.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

And even wilder, what they say is that the ball hit the bar, spun incredibly high and out of bounds, over the end line, then somehow managed to spin back into play on the same trajectory, and onto the ground and off the post, into the keeper's hands. 

That defies logic, frankly.

The ref whistled it, on the lineswoman's insistence we guess, and the US players thought the bounce must have gone in and celebrated.

Really? They called a goal kick? That's idiotic. I assumed it was a throw in or something after the defender kicked the ball away. I watched the highlights without sound but I guess if there was a premature whistle that would explain the keepers lack of action when the ball was sitting at her feet.

15 hours ago, rkomar said:

If it went out of bounds and came back in, then the whistle wouldn't be premature.  It's like a corner kick that goes out over the goal line before curling back in again.

I was calling it premature in the sense that I don't believe it possibly could have gone out of bounds, come back in play, and then bounce back towards the goal. I guess it would have to take a strong wind (because of the spin that is on a ball after hitting the top of the crossbar) and probably a bad bounce on the ground to make that happen.

2 hours ago, Kent said:

I was calling it premature in the sense that I don't believe it possibly could have gone out of bounds, come back in play, and then bounce back towards the goal. I guess it would have to take a strong wind (because of the spin that is on a ball after hitting the top of the crossbar) and probably a bad bounce on the ground to make that happen.

Exactly, it is entirely unbelievable. But hey, I don't believe half those corners the linesman say go all the way out and curve back in to land 6 m in front of the keeper, so went to GK. They look out, because of the curve and height, but many are not.

Speaking to buddies I watch Barça with we all agreed that would be a good rule change: no corner kick can be called out as long as it lands in bounds. That way you can put all the effect on it you want, and the play is more dynamic all around.

Still, surely some do go out, others don't. But off a crossbar, out, and back in? That is plain spooky.

To me, the most unfortunate play was the handball penalty against the US that cost them the game.  I always hate seeing a penalty shot given when the ball is kicked into the arm at close range.  People say you need to keep your arms against your body, but you can only do that if you're standing still.  You can't run around that way.  Oh well.

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Exactly, it is entirely unbelievable. But hey, I don't believe half those corners the linesman say go all the way out and curve back in to land 6 m in front of the keeper, so went to GK. They look out, because of the curve and height, but many are not.

Speaking to buddies I watch Barça with we all agreed that would be a good rule change: no corner kick can be called out as long as it lands in bounds. That way you can put all the effect on it you want, and the play is more dynamic all around.

Still, surely some do go out, others don't. But off a crossbar, out, and back in? That is plain spooky.

Not a bad rule change suggestion.

11 hours ago, The Ref said:

What about balls that go out and in on the sidelines? that too?

Perhaps that too. 

There are two points I guess to consider. One is that it seems that a lot or most of those balls called out on corners are not really out. Another is that it is an attacking play, and we could tweek the rules to make it fully dynamic in attack by allowing total effect on balls struck from the corners. 

For sidelines, balls are not as crucial, as they are not key attacking balls in the same way, at the most it could be a long pass for a counter attack on the wing. But yes, I also think a lot called out on the sides are also not really out.

I personally believe most of these outs on corners are an optical effect, since the linesman cannot accurately imagine a line rising in the air and the ball going around it, being past it. Further, all balls placed right on the end line in corners are hit inswinging, while balls placed away from the endline are outswinging. Otherwise the taker has to cross over the flag. Meaning the ones called are not going from the end line over and back, they are going from away from the end line and back. And that is more distance on the bend, so even less believable.

This is easy to check. Place a tall pole say 10 or 12 metres from the corner, or 14, or 16, or 20, right on the end line, and see how many players can bend around it and land the ball into play. It is way harder than most think. Another possibility: like goal-line technology, you could rig the ball so it sends out the signal when over the line. But that is an overuse of the technology, IMO, for such a simple play: let all corners landing in play stand as valid.

According to the game stats, Venezuela had a player sent off in the 37th minute.  Rather than scoring with the man advantage, we allowed a short-handed goal.  So, group of death notwithstanding, we had a good chance to go through but didn't execute.  These tournaments are for players to gain experience under pressure, and I'm sure our team did that today.  Hopefully they'll learn from it.

^[ 1 ] No third place teams, only the top two teams of the group advance and they only needed a draw ( or a win ) today to  advance. In addition,  pre-tournament,  Humphries-Priestman had expectations that the team would make the quarter-finals -- ouch.

[ 2 ] I really like Deyna Castellanos. She's basically the " Christine Sinclair " of Venezuela and to date  she's living up to that pressure and that  responsibilty.   Potentially,  Deyna Castellanos could be the best player to emerge from South America since Marta.

18 minutes ago, tc-in-bc said:

^[ 1 ] No third place teams, only the top two teams of the group advance and they only needed a draw ( or a win ) today to  advance. In addition,  pre-tournament,  Humphries-Priestman had expectations that the team would make the quarter-finals -- ouch.

[ 2 ] I really like Deyna Castellanos. She's basically the " Christine Sinclair " of Venezuela and to date  she's living up to that pressure and that  responsibilty.   Potentially,  Deyna Castellanos could be the best player to emerge from South America since Marta.

Agree on Castellanos.  She's got a powerful kick.  Their coach Zseremeta is an old fox and Venezuela has some great soccer schools.

Venezuela is impressive, yes, SA champion and I heard semi-finalist last WC?

Just watched the US fall to Japan. Japan has impressive off the ball movement, lovely stuff, plus some great decision-making on the field, finding holes and wings and players free. They can be frustrating always playing short, lack maybe moments of really taking it forward (only when they were up 3-1 they tried to hammer them),  but for me the technically and tactically best team I've seen. Always poised too. And strength too, strength, speed and even height, if anyone noticed. They matched the US well. Only hole Japan has is that they were vulnerable through the middle over the top, the CDs lost their striker dumbly a few times. Only flaw.

But glad to see the US out. If the future can be read in the present, both the US, especially, and Canada are going to have to think things through a bit better. The US, have to say: very poorly coached team, weak preparation, I think that coach has not shown a thing to deserve to keep that job.

Archived