FIFA U-17 Women's World Cup - Jordan 2016

sloth8

I wouldn't call Venezuela impressive. They have one outstanding player, they play with good structure/determination and a number of them can really kick the ball.

But they foul a lot and their offensive tactic is largely to take long shots in order to take advantage of the weak goalkeepers that most countries have at this age group. This strategy won't work at the senior level. 

But Castellanos may finally help them qualify for a World Cup out of a weak CONMEBOL that doesn't care much about women's football.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, red card said:

I wouldn't call Venezuela impressive. They have one outstanding player, they play with good structure/determination and a number of them can really kick the ball.

But they foul a lot and their offensive tactic is largely to take long shots in order to take advantage of the weak goalkeepers that most countries have at this age group. This strategy won't work at the senior level. 

But Castellanos may finally help them qualify for a World Cup out of a weak CONMEBOL that doesn't care much about women's football.

Nigeria has 6 yellows and 56 fouls

Ghana has 9 yellows and 52 fouls

Venezuela has 5 yellows and 48 fouls

Least fouls goes to Spain with 0 yellows and 20 fouls

I watched Spain take out Germany, very feisty players, every single high ball they went up for, in the middle, attack, even when 5 inches shorter. The tiny striker Pina ran her butt off from start to finish, amazing 90 minutes of conditioning and football intelligence, sneaking in for the 2nd goal.

And then the German coach says they did not deserve to lose, very disrespectful. If you go down 2-0 mid 1st half and can't sustain an attack until the last 10 minutes you cannot say that. Germany had a few more chances than Spain, scored in extra time, but that is understandable: they are an aggressive but sloppy team tactically with no real system and no control of the game at all at any moment. And, like against us, only react, do not take control unless pushed.

All in all, with Spain-Japan and N Korea-Venezuela, the best team is clearly Japan. But the rest are very competent in all lines and any could win it.

Korea-Japan final. The first dominated well over Venezuela 3-0, who got behind early and played with little sense and impatiently, showing poor discipline and coaching, IMO. Down only 1-0 2nd half you can't abandon a game plan so easily.

Japan beat Spain by an identical score, though the match was in fact close, very even. Spain played well and blew good scoring chances, but Japan took theirs including an own goal and later penalty. 

3-4 place and Finals on Saturday.

On 22/10/2016 at 6:12 AM, The Ref said:

Korea won it all after tying Japan 0-0 and going into PKs.  Very equal sides with Japan excelling in attack and Korea excelling in defense.  Nails biting game to watch.

One of those games where Japan, with more attacking capacity, did not take the game when they had to, by really pushing for it. Because the penalties are a crap shoot. I also thought they were both solid teams but Japan had to be the favourite. By no means are Korea all that regimented, they also have their style and I appreciated seeing them enjoying themselves out there during the match.

In the 3rd place game Spain fully dominated and outplayed Venezuela, with first game 5-goal-scorer vs Jordan, Lorena, coming on again and doing a hat-trick in the second half. Having her on the bench could have hurt Spain in the end in semis. 

Archived