• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8 March, 2016 at 6:57 PM, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

ENot really CPL, but I always thought FCEd's logo lacked soul

bzxd44H.png

Their kits are kinda cool, so thought i'd try and keep the cool line thing-ys

ICDpVDr.png

I thought it was cool when they put a little rabbit on the shirt somewhere, and thought it would great to incorporate it into the crest.  Well done.  I'm not a fan of FCE's kit though.  Can you make some improvements?  

9 hours ago, SuperCanuck said:

I thought it was cool when they put a little rabbit on the shirt somewhere, and thought it would great to incorporate it into the crest.  Well done.  I'm not a fan of FCE's kit though.  Can you make some improvements?  

Honestly I thought I did, but any ideas?  I liked the stripe-y thingys so I kept those, changed the colour scheme slightly to match my crest.  

And as for Foothills - I guess what I was going for seemed cooler to me than it turned out.  I guess I should include hills?  Not really sure what represents calgary other than the stampede.  Then again I could try something with hills and a horse.  Could work.  Colours?  Red?  

10 minutes ago, rob.notenboom said:

It's pretty old school. I just wondered if you had seen it.

It is what it is.  I understand the desire to advertise what it's for and all, but to me the whole maple leaf + soccer ball just seems like pandering.  Add in a soccer pitch, and I dunno.

I just would prefer to have sort of unique identities that resonate with supporters as opposed to something supposed to make the average non-soccer fan citizen aware that your city does indeed have a soccer team.  But A) perhaps this identity does resonate with supporters, and B ) thats just, like, my opinion.

As someone who does this alot you get tired of hearing "but where's the soccer ball!?!?"  Sure.  Some great logos contains soccer balls, but many of the best don't.  The people who matter know what it stands for.  

Anyways, mini-rant over.

Edit: the one thing it has going for it is the crest shape.  It reminds me of a firemans badge, and it's spot on.  

Hey @GuillermoDelQuarto it just hit me, and I'm not sure why it took so long. I've been trying to think of an authentic name for a team in Regina, borrowing from the ideas on Footysoldiers, and not associated with the Riders. Some of the ones I thought of first didn't have much ring to them while a few others are taken. Queen City FC would work but it is already the name of a local club. Then it finally hit me. Oskana FC would be a great name. Full disclosure: It is the name of my men's league team. But it really is a very deeply rooted name, both in the post European settlement era and prior. 

If you're interested in doing a logo, this would be a great place to start. I'll give you a few links to browse through, but think 'bison' and you're on the right track.

http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMHNYT_oskana_ka_asasteki_Regina_Saskatchewan_Canada

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Regina,_Saskatchewan

Oskana as the root of the name 'Wascana', the name of Regina's largest urban park and widely used.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wascana_Centre

14 minutes ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

Love it.  I'll see what I can do. 

Sort of along the lines of that Queen of bones Idea that I initially liked, but significantly less gawdy and horrible lol.

Hey Guillermo! Do you think you could draw the Hamilton Steelers logo with 2 hammers, showing off the black and gold color. Make it look very industrial with two hammers, just like those union crest.

union_steelworker_skull_yard_sign.jpg

13 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

They can't all be zingers.  I think I've redeemed myself with this one though.  Thoughts?

UUD370U.png

Just spit-balling here, but is it possible to make the dividing line between colours a single arch? It'd be a good representation of the Chinook arch, a Foothills phenomena.

50 minutes ago, rob.notenboom said:

Oskana as the root of the name 'Wascana', the name of Regina's largest urban park and widely used.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wascana_Centre

I think Wascana FC would be the better choice. It's the name people all around the province know. Oskana is getting into the history buff territory the general public won't give a rat's ass about. Wascana FC screams whole city of Regina and pays homage to its roots. I really like the name, it's authentic and provides a bit of difference from the tradition using the city's name.

One day, when Saskatoon Athletic plays Wascana FC, the two firms will clash outside the ground and supporters across the country will recognize the Highway 11 Derby as the fiercest rivalry in the nation.

8 hours ago, Tuscan said:

One dayy, when Saskatoon Athletic plays Wascana FC, the two firms will clash in a non-violent beer drinking contest and supporters across the country will recognize the Highway 11 Derby as the fiercest rivalry in the nation.

Fyp 

10 hours ago, Oranje said:

Just spit-balling here, but is it possible to make the dividing line between colours a single arch? It'd be a good representation of the Chinook arch, a Foothills phenomena.

certainly could see how it looks!  chinook arch?  I guess i'll have to google that one.  

10 hours ago, Tuscan said:

One day, when Saskatoon Athletic plays Wascana FC, the two firms will clash outside the ground and supporters across the country will recognize the Highway 11 Derby as the fiercest rivalry in the nation.

Gettin' a partial

10 hours ago, SoccerCoach said:

Hey Guillermo! Do you think you could draw the Hamilton Steelers logo with 2 hammers, showing off the black and gold color. Make it look very industrial with two hammers, just like those union crest.

union_steelworker_skull_yard_sign.jpg

Do you want something unique from the style of my avatar, or in that same vein?  Can certainly give it a shot.  

My list is getting bigger every day :D 

thanks everyone for the input, makes it more enjoyable when you get input from the hive-mind.  

10 hours ago, Tuscan said:

Wascana FC screams whole city of Regina and pays homage to its roots. I really like the name, it's authentic and provides a bit of difference from the tradition using the city's name.

Curious if you feel the same way about Foothills?  Someone in another thread said it should say calgary but I kinda like just Foothills.  

I guess I like the idea of someone going Foothills, wheres that team from.  Oh it's from calgary because they live where the hills meet the mountains aka the foothills.  Cool, I just learned something about calgary.  Plus, the few letters, the bigger you can make them, the stronger they seem.  

2 hours ago, Alex D said:

Stupid weird phone quoting glitch. 

Anyway, I could definitely get behind Wascana as the principal name. Wascana Wanderers?

Still think Oskana is a great name though. When our team leader Brian established our men's team 15 years ago, it was an inspired choice. 

1 hour ago, rob.notenboom said:

Stupid weird phone quoting glitch. 

Anyway, I could definitely get behind Wascana as the principal name. Wascana Wanderers?

Still think Oskana is a great name though. When our team leader Brian established our men's team 15 years ago, it was an inspired choice. 

Splitting hairs really.  Wascana Wanderers is pretty cool.  I've heard people throw out wanderers a few time and this is the first time I've thought it fit.  Gimme the weekend.  This one is coming together I think.  Symbolism wise, bison... queen... anything else?  

Archived