On 11 March, 2016 at 4:45 PM, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

Honestly I thought I did, but any ideas?  I liked the stripe-y thingys so I kept those, changed the colour scheme slightly to match my crest.  

And as for Foothills - I guess what I was going for seemed cooler to me than it turned out.  I guess I should include hills?  Not really sure what represents calgary other than the stampede.  Then again I could try something with hills and a horse.  Could work.  Colours?  Red?  

I'm just not a fan of asymmetrical kits.  Blue and white stripes would be nice.  What I should do is look at my old Fifa Playstation game from about 300 years ago when I had more time and energy.  I changed some league to a Canadian league and did up all the kits, etc.

As you said below, they can't all be zingers, but keep up the good work.  

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

It is what it is.  I understand the desire to advertise what it's for and all, but to me the whole maple leaf + soccer ball just seems like pandering.  Add in a soccer pitch, and I dunno.

I just would prefer to have sort of unique identities that resonate with supporters as opposed to something supposed to make the average non-soccer fan citizen aware that your city does indeed have a soccer team.  But A) perhaps this identity does resonate with supporters, and B ) thats just, like, my opinion.

As someone who does this alot you get tired of hearing "but where's the soccer ball!?!?"  Sure.  Some great logos contains soccer balls, but many of the best don't.  The people who matter know what it stands for.  

Anyways, mini-rant over.

Edit: the one thing it has going for it is the crest shape.  It reminds me of a firemans badge, and it's spot on.  

Putting any allegiances aside, what do you think are the best kits and crests in the world?

2 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

Curious if you feel the same way about Foothills?  Someone in another thread said it should say calgary but I kinda like just Foothills.  

I guess I like the idea of someone going Foothills, wheres that team from.  Oh it's from calgary because they live where the hills meet the mountains aka the foothills.  Cool, I just learned something about calgary.  Plus, the few letters, the bigger you can make them, the stronger they seem.  

I loved it when North York was just going to call themselves that, but the CSL made them change it to THE North York Rockets.

13 hours ago, rob.notenboom said:

Oskana FC would be a great name. Full disclosure: It is the name of my men's league team. But it really is a very deeply rooted name, both in the post European settlement era and prior. 

If you're interested in doing a logo, this would be a great place to start. I'll give you a few links to browse through, but think 'bison' and you're on the right track.

Oskana as the root of the name 'Wascana', the name of Regina's largest urban park and widely used.

I would also like to see some use made of historic place names like Athabaska, Hochelaga, etc.

3 minutes ago, SuperCanuck said:

I loved it when North York was just going to call themselves that, but the CSL made them change it to THE North York Rockets.

This makes my blood boil.

Oh and thanks for the compliment.  I don't think i'll truly be satisfied until I have about 15 that everyone thinks are at least solid, but it's nice to hear kind words along the way :)

1 hour ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

Splitting hairs really.  Wascana Wanderers is pretty cool.  I've heard people throw out wanderers a few time and this is the first time I've thought it fit.  Gimme the weekend.  This one is coming together I think.  Symbolism wise, bison... queen... anything else?  

Can't think of anything. Glad you're doing this. Pretty fun stuff. I have some pretty good pics of bison at Grasslands National Park if they would be of any help. 

4 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

certainly could see how it looks!  chinook arch?  I guess i'll have to google that one.  

It's more or less warm air from the mountains that gives Calgary a couple days of warm weather, great in the winter. You can tell a chinook is coming because there is an "arch" of could being pushed by this warm air, it looks pretty cool when it's coming in. It would be easy to incorporate into the badge you have now I'd imagine

Arch.jpg

11 hours ago, Oranje said:

It's more or less warm air from the mountains that gives Calgary a couple days of warm weather, great in the winter. You can tell a chinook is coming because there is an "arch" of could being pushed by this warm air, it looks pretty cool when it's coming in. It would be easy to incorporate into the badge you have now I'd imagine

Arch.jpg

Okay, so the arch where the blue meets the grey in the cloud?  

Might be kinda tricky actually but I have one idea.

Couldn't really think of a good way to incorporate the chinook arc into the logo without it looking cluttered, but put in into the kit I came up with.  First attempt so don't be too hard on me :P 

u6zrXY7.png

was going for the stripes to give the impression of a transition from hills to mountains, with the chinook arch at the top with the white.  How'd I do?

10 minutes ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

Couldn't really think of a good way to incorporate the chinook arc into the logo without it looking cluttered, but put in into the kit I came up with.  First attempt so don't be too hard on me :P 

u6zrXY7.png

was going for the stripes to give the impression of a transition from hills to mountains, with the chinook arch at the top with the white.  How'd I do?

Snazzy. Top crest needs a little polishing but I like it overall. 

I hope you bombard CPL PR with these designs once the league is finally announced 

1 minute ago, Complete Homer said:

Snazzy. Top crest needs a little polishing but I like it overall. 

I hope you bombard CPL PR with these designs once the league is finally announced 

Thanks bud.  I'm gonna try it polish them all off and put together a complete package as soon as I can.  I've been getting some retweets from footysoldiers which seems like a decent place to start.  

On 3/11/2016 at 6:16 AM, SoccerCoach said:

Hey Guillermo! Do you think you could draw the Hamilton Steelers logo with 2 hammers, showing off the black and gold color. Make it look very industrial with two hammers, just like those union crest.

union_steelworker_skull_yard_sign.jpg

Here's what I came up with.  It's a little sloppy and I reused some of my old images, but what do ya think?

P3PkahU.png

12 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

u6zrXY7.png

That does look pretty cool actually.

All I was thinking for the chinook arch was a continuation of the left arch creating the base of the mountains to the base of the crest, instead of the "S". The deer would then be jumping in the same direction as the arch.

Sorry for all the suggestions, I would do it myself I'd just have no idea what I'd be doing...

3 hours ago, rob.notenboom said:

Not what I expected but pretty classy looking nonetheless. Are you sticking with those colours?

Not necessarily.  It's kind of a tough choice, I like the city of regina flag a lot in general(IMO best city flag in Canada, that I've seen), so thats why I choose those, but at the same time, I get that people like the whole green and white thing, with the rider thing and being representative of the province.  The way I see it, if there is only one team, and it's in regina, it should be green and white(and same goes for Stoon), but if you have two teams, you would kinda have to have two different colours, and these are the most logical ones for Regina.  Any other ideas though?  Nothing is set in stone

On 3/11/2016 at 7:19 PM, SuperCanuck said:

Putting any allegiances aside, what do you think are the best kits and crests in the world?

I mean there are so many that it would be tough for me to say straight up best.  But of the kits that I own, I really like this angola kit.

I've never met anyone else who had it, got it over in germany during the 06 world cup, the first time they qualified I believe, the colours just scream africa to me.  It's very unique but still classy.  

angola_large.jpg

Oh and a special shout out to @DigzTFC for the inspiration for Scotia United,

again, a first draft so be nice, but there was really no need to reinvent the wheel here and I'm pretty happy with how it looks so far.  Nova Scotia has a VERY nice flag.

GCi4eaN.png

the latin could be easily replaced, but I thought this was one place where it didn't seem to tacky.  Probably still needs some cleaning up, but I'm very happy with the overall concept.  

Love the first draft!  Scotia United connects to a local club called Scotia.

I would make the badge shape more of a shield similar to the foothills concept to connect to the military history.

Halifax is known for the Citadel which is one of the last star shaped forts still in existence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citadel_Hill_%28Fort_George%29

Maybe incorporate a star somewhere maybe at the bottom of the badge or a star shape at the top of the badge (just spit balling).

It also maybe nice to have a Birmingham old school football underneath the rampant lion's lead foot.

1 hour ago, DigzTFC said:

Love the first draft!  Scotia United connects to a local club called Scotia.

I would make the badge shape more of a shield similar to the foothills concept to connect to the military history.

Halifax is known for the Citadel which is one of the last star shaped forts still in existence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citadel_Hill_%28Fort_George%29

Maybe incorporate a star somewhere maybe at the bottom of the badge or a star shape at the top of the badge (just spit balling).

It also maybe nice to have a Birmingham old school football underneath the rampant lion's lead foot.

Hey, so I tried a bunch of shield shapes, and none really looked very good to me, and while I was thinking about where to fit in the citadel star, I had an idea.  And honestly I think I nailed it.  

"Welcome to the Citadel"

aSgpNsp.png

45 minutes ago, rob.notenboom said:

I think the flag is a lighter blue TBH. Top and bottom yellow with middle blue maybe? Just a thought.

I particularly like the unique shape of the shield. 

K.  Sometimes it looks a certain way in illustrator and then different on here.  I've seen a couple different flags so maybe you could send me a picture of the one thats the most common.  The one I had the blue was pretty dark, and I've never been to Regina, so wasn't sure.  

nHsLTGD.png

Think it's a slight improvement.  But I feel like neither of us are really sold.  

26 minutes ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

K.  Sometimes it looks a certain way in illustrator and then different on here.  I've seen a couple different flags so maybe you could send me a picture of the one thats the most common.  The one I had the blue was pretty dark, and I've never been to Regina, so wasn't sure.  

Mk3076p.png

Think it's a slight improvement.  But I feel like neither of us are really sold.  

It's funny. Albert St Bridge currently has city flags on every flagpole. Quite the timing. The blue on them is quite a bit lighter but they also could be faded in the sun. I'll find a pic and post it. 

However I think that crest is pretty solid. One of the back legs on the bison looks a bit odd, but otherwise it's pretty solid. 

Archived