Ottawa Fury 2016 Season

canadianfoot

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Based on this article, it seems like Julian de Guzman has been instrumental in attracting new Canadian talent to the Fury. He was also instrumental in getting Ledgerwood to Edmonton IIRC. 

Also, it seems like the Fury signing Tissot will be important in attracting people in Gatineau to Fury games as well, based on this quote:

"Tissot: “With the people I have talked to in Quebec, when I told them and when they found out that I played for the Fury, they were all like, ‘Wow, now I have a reason to go watch a game.’ It gives people on the other side (of the Ottawa River) a reason to come, and I think it’s important for the Fury to attract people in Quebec. If it’s a reason to come see me and see the team, well, why not?”"

http://ottawacitizen.com/sports/soccer/fury-fc-adopt-home-team-look-by-adding-edward-tissot-and-dixon?__lsa=e812-6bb8

41 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

Tissot has played 90 minutes the last three games which is the playing time he needs in my opinion even if it is a level lower than MLS. For the guys in Ottawa, how has he looked in these 3 games? Also what position is he playing?

Tissot played left wing yesterday. Looked good. Good crosses. For two crosses that got blocked he was a ¼ second too slow I'd guess.

@Trillium wanted to see him cut in and attempt to dribble by defenders more often.

A few injury updates from the gaffer: Timbó is expected to be available again this weekend vs the Rowdies, Obasi is expected to return in a couple weeks and Bruna will be out for another 3-4 weeks.

Aside from that we know Porter will be out for 5-6 weeks, and Balchan, Venter and Dyego are out for the season. Gyorio is still out as well, but I haven't heard anything about the timeline for his return.

Also the club apparently has the budget space to sign one more player if needed, but Dalglish says it's unlikely given the players that will be returning over the next month.

3 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

It was said that Balchan may be able to make his way back for the last few games of the Fall season. Has that changed. If Venter and Dyego were out closer to 6 months rather than 8, they could be back too but I wouldn't hold out hope for them.

I thought Dalglish had said in a previous interview that Balchan was out for the season, but I might be wrong. As for Venter, even if it was closer to six months (and assuming the timeline is the same as in March), I can't imagine they would bother rushing him back at the very end of the season given that it was a knee injury. We won't be seeing Dyego again either way though, I believe his loan was annulled given that he's no longer on the club roster, and moreover we have no more room for international players.

If they keep winning and get more press coverage they will get 7-8k averages, they have already had at least 1 game of more than 7k in attendance,  this is a football town and the Redblacks play tomorrow which is why the football lines were down..

The Fury are in a stretch of 8 games with 6 of them at home, so far they are 3-0 in that stretch.

I thought there'd be more people... then i remembered it was a long weekend and all the people i know who are off for a week right now and not in ottawa. 

I think the club is well on it's way to 7000+ averages.  I'm now optimistic for one 8000  game next year in NASL play.  It's a slowburn upwards but steady for the last two years.

Nice little run by the Fury these last few weeks; had written them off earlier in the season as I didn't feel like they had adequately replaced the talent lost from last year but seems like they've made some strides. Happy to see more Canadians in the fold too; let's hope their good form continues..

6 hours ago, mianjo said:

Ottawa went from having hardly any players available to now they have too many,  they now have 28 players listed on their roster page

Although seven of them are injured, two virtually for the rest of the season, and another two are academy players on amateur contracts. There's actually only 21 available for selection, although Timbo could be back this weekend.

• 3 weeks later...

According to the Citizen today the Fury only have 12 players available for tonight's game, alongside all of the injuries, Bailey is suspended for a game because of 5 yellows and Dennis Chin is in contract negotiations with a unnamed  overseas team. a couple of academy players will be on the bench tonight probably with goalies DeBellis and Macrae.

9 minutes ago, mianjo said:

According to the Citizen today the Fury only have 12 players available for tonight's game, alongside all of the injuries, Bailey is suspended for a game because of 5 yellows and Dennis Chin is in contract negotiations with a unnamed  overseas team. a couple of academy players will be on the bench tonight probably with goalies DeBellis and Macrae.

12 outfield players the article says. It seems like the Citizen or somebody either miscounted or there's an additional player unavailable from the weekend besides Bailey. We had 14 outfield players in the lineup against FTL, so without Bailey that makes 13. Chin wasn't in the lineup then either, so hopefully it's not someone too important if they didn't miscount.

Either way we're going to have a pretty short bench for this one it seems, hopefully we start getting a few guys back from injury soon.

Haworth and Stewart aren't in the 18 for tonight's match, looks like it's actually only 11 outfield first-team players available. Haworth's probably the last player we'd like to see out injured, hopefully it's nothing serious.

On a side note, DeBellis gets the start tonight. If we're optimistic we could say they're just giving him a random opportunity, or perhaps Peiser's not 100%. If the latter's the case he's on the bench at least, so hopefully it's nothing too bad.

http://www.nasl.com/match-center/1222/ott-vs-mia

Well that was very boring game. Ottawa's total lineup had scored ONE goal all season and that was by Roberts a defender, so a 0-0 result was probably the best we could expect. The best players were Alves, Rozebom and Olivera. Rozeboom was named player of the game.

Jonny Steele was subbed very early in the game after a sickening injury in which he landed on his head he was stretchered off and went to hospital,

Fury made only one sub and that was  Gentile for Mwanga, which was probably the only sub they could make as on the bench was  Peiser and Macrae (goalies)  and Malekos and Conte (academy players)

Att. was 4,852

Is Chin following Vared to Israel?

Bailey will be back for sundays game, hopefully Edwards will be OK, he was not his normal self and took a couple of knocks in both halfs.

Dalglish said in the post-game interview that Bailey is the only player who's expected to be back for the weekend and the jury's still out on Mwanga who came off injured. Might be a rough stretch of games coming up considering how our limited player options don't seem to be improving with 10 or 11 guys out injured now.

The game was a bit of a slog, but at least we got the point. It's unclear who we can expect back next and when, but if we can hold down the fort for the moment hopefully we can turn things around a bit heading into September.

Archived