Ottawa Fury 2016 Season

canadianfoot

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, jedinathan said:

Aaaaannnndddd Ottawa promptly sells Jonny Steele to THE Miami FC.

Is it just me, or has Ottawa seemed to take one step forward, one step back all year? The upside to this is that there's another Canadian playing at a good level in this country.

they are trying to finish top of the table.....if the table was upside down.

So, with the Tissot signing, the Fury now have 12 Canadians on the roster, 9 of which have received playing time to date. (Edward, Conte, de Guzman, Gyorio, Haworth, Roberts, Porter, Eustaquio, DeBellis). 5 of them have been regular starters (Edward, de Guzman, Haworth, Roberts and Porter) as well.

Compare this with Edmonton who now have 7 Canadians on the roster, 3 of which have received playing time to date (Zebie, Ledgerwood, Shome).

It seems that if you enjoy following Canadians playing in NASL, the Fury are the club to watch.

5 minutes ago, jedinathan said:

Ya. I'm seriously impressed with Ottawa and how Canadian they've become.

They have also done a good job convincing quality CanMNT players to give them a shot (De Jong, de Guzman) and convinced borderline MLS players that NASL can provide them with a career and opportunities (Tissot, Porter). To be fair FC Edmonton was able to attract quality in Ledgerwood.

FCEd also had a good offer on the table for Dunfield too. I think Edmonton has had a good balance of Canadian and non-Canadian talent.

Ottawa is doing well with giving playing time... but it remains to be seen if it can preform at this level. Personally I think they've gotten some great talent. Eddie Edward was an absolute gem for them.

1 hour ago, jedinathan said:

FCEd also had a good offer on the table for Dunfield too. I think Edmonton has had a good balance of Canadian and non-Canadian talent.

Ottawa is doing well with giving playing time... but it remains to be seen if it can preform at this level. Personally I think they've gotten some great talent. Eddie Edward was an absolute gem for them.

Typically I would agree with you but as of today, I think FC Edmonton have the worst roster from a Voyageurs point of view. Worse than the Whitecaps, if you can believe it.

1 starter, 2 occasional starters / subs, and 4 players who will never see the pitch is a pretty big disincentive if you want to watch Canadians play. Appreciating that the club made an offer to Tissot, and Edward left for personal reasons, and Roberts may come back, I imagine this will improve. Let's hope that the 3 players on trial with the club are Canadian.

fced is taking over the mantra I hate canada club from the whitecaps. I bet all three players they have made offered aren't Canadian. How many Canadians have trailed with fced. Most of Miller signings are domestic americans. As of today, Randy Edwin Bosu is available. The fury might be the new all Canada club. If they would have kept Beckie n Trafford. Would have all canadian backline.  

What are you talking about? FCE just traded two Canadians to another Canadian club and at least they are developing new players. Ottawa getting more Canadian, sorry to say it, looks more like a cost-limiting measurement than anything else. 

19 hours ago, shermanator said:

Typically I would agree with you but as of today, I think FC Edmonton have the worst roster from a Voyageurs point of view. Worse than the Whitecaps, if you can believe it.

1 starter, 2 occasional starters / subs, and 4 players who will never see the pitch is a pretty big disincentive if you want to watch Canadians play. Appreciating that the club made an offer to Tissot, and Edward left for personal reasons, and Roberts may come back, I imagine this will improve. Let's hope that the 3 players on trial with the club are Canadian.

Ya, sorry wasn't clear enough. Edmonton was doing well. Eddie was just fantastic in Edmonton. Ottawas doing really well with playing Canadian players. I'm very hopeful that some of the three offers went to Canadians, particularly some more Canadian internationals. 

Its too bad ottawa had had to give up de Jong... He did very well for them in my opinion. 

23 hours ago, mianjo said:

No energy, no coordination, no idea. another defeat for the Fury to a 10 man Edmonton.

Cannot believe how many folks give Dalglish a pass on the Fury performance, the elements are there in terms of players, but the system he has implemented is not working and not using any sense of consistent attack or pressing in the offensive third. 

Ottawa would be best to drop Dalglish and let Martin Nash takeover, he at least as player won championships in Rochester and Vancouver, and has a more extensive coaching resume then Dalglish, he might also be a better tactical coach then Dalglish and a better motivator. 

When a team has "no coordination" and "no idea" you have to look to the head coach, the "no energy" is usually a reflection that the players are not being motivated or lack faith in what they are being sent out to do.... how do you lose with a man advantage for 30 minutes ?  Yes it happens, but the coach needs to start looking to himself and changing his process and performance as manager to get the players to have system of play they will buy into, and to give them more positive support, in Dalglish's case I doubt he will win the current squad back, dump him now and let Nash take over and get respect from the players.

Disappointing season but then again I think most people expected a let-down from last year after all the departures.. I agree that a better coach could probably squeeze more results out of this group but I still think the main issue is losing too much talent and not replacing it adequately. 

Archived