NCAA Canadians 2016

Dub Narcotic

On 2016-10-18 at 8:24 PM, masster said:

In Top Drawer Soccer's midseason update of the top college sophomore, junior and senior players:

Brian Wright (senior) has moved up to number 15 from number 38 in their preseason poll. Anybody know anything about him?

Alex Comsia (sophomore) comes in at number 59. He was not on the preseason list. Played for our U17 team at the World Cup in 2013. Former Whitecaps residency player. Left the program to go to France before returning for NCAA.

Kwame Awuah (senior) dropped to number 66 from his preseason rank of 47. 

Chris Nanco (senior) is number 74. Played for our U17 team at the World Cup in 2011. Product of Sigma if I am not mistaken.

Jason Beaulieu (junior) is number 96. Goalkeeper. His profile says he was part of the Impact academy. 

Sergio Camargo is no longer ranked in the top 100.

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/college/upperclassmentop100/?genderId=m&periodId=40&seasonId=2016&nopage=0

Wright IIRC is from Durham FC Academy. They are part of the Sigma showcase (at least last year they were) and have sent quite a few kids south - both male and female.

Aaron Neilsen had Wright in his "All Canadian NCAA Team" from last year
http://www.rednationonline.ca/Articles2015/2015NCAAsoccerDivision1AllCanadianteam.aspx

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Dub Narcotic said:

Whatever happened to Kevon Black and Brody Huitema? They seemed to just die at Duke, and they were very solid prospects.

Black seems to have made 10 appearances. Huitema's career is over due to post-concussion symptoms. http://trianglesportsnet.com/archives/12904

DURHAM, N.C. – Duke has made it official: Brody Huitema’s career with the Blue Devils is over because of concussion syndrome.

The senior forward from Chilliwack, British Columbia, never made it onto the field in an official game this season.

He was injured in an exhibition against Georgetown on Aug. 16 and was never cleared to return to action.

“That was either my third or fourth concussion this year,” said Huitema, who said he had his first one playing soccer at age 14 and estimated that he had four or five before coming to Duke.

The effects of this latest one have lingered, however.

“The guy’s knee landed on the back of my head,” Huitema recalled.

Conference tournaments should be starting soon, and on to NCAA, some teams to watch for CDN content.  

Syracuse: Miller CB Soph(16gs-2g 2a), Nanco MID/F Senior(16gs,4g-1a) have been full time starters for a top 10 team, which has a good shot at going to final 4 again.  Camgaro MF (9gs, 1g 1a) has been a disapointment, but its a deep strong team so he hasn't gotten the chance to shine.  

North Carolina: Comisa CB, started every game on a top 5 team, we'll see him go deep in NCAA tournament.

New Mexico: Beauleu K (16gs) fulltime starter again this year. Constant, DEF fresh(14gs) hope he is CDN, hehe.  New mexico on top 25 bubble.

San Diego State: Sagno Fresh, Forward (9g 4gs, 1g 1a) promising freshman on a top 25 team.  

UCONN; Awuah Senior, MID (17gs, 2g 7a), slight drop off from last year, Munir Freshman, MID, (17g, 5gs 0g 1a) promising youngster

Vermont: Wright Senior F (17gs, 9g 9a), top CDN striker in NCAA, Lamanna, Sen m/f (17g 11gs 4g 1a) 

IVY league Brown: Chow Soph Mid, (15g 10gs, 6g 1a) led team in scoring Columbia: Markarian fresh Mid (12g 2g 1a)

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, lazlo_80 said:

Sergio Camargo had a huge game in the tourny, scoring 2 goals and adding an assist

Awesome to see 2 Canadians link up for the first goal. Hopefully a deep run for Syracuse will boost both their draft stock. I'll definitely be pulling for the Orange the rest of the way. 

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Scorpion26 said:

Any of the three have a chance to be drafted top ten?

Brian Wright had a prolific season and sort of came out of nowhere. It would be a surprise but not out of the question. Top Drawer soccer has talked about him alot in interviews I've heard

I believe Havoc88 mentioned he thought Awuah would likely go highest of the bunch because of how versatile he is. He follows NCAA and the Sigma academy far closer than I do so I'd take his word for it.

Will be interesting if any of these kids get the "Canadian Generation Adidas" designation that just got invented. It would likely increase their chances of getting drafted significantly.

Yeah I'm still putting money on Awuah, both for his season which was pretty good for a player whose frequently changed positions, and because of the Sigma connection. Unless he has a standout combine, I would hazard a wager that RSL/SKC might pick him that 13-14 spot.

I'm pulling for Wright to have a huge combine because I would bet no MLS team has ever seen him play (in person/live) and this would be the first and only time they'll get a look at him. I say if Wright does not standout he probably won't get picked, at least by a US team.

The asterisk/caveat to all this however is, as we saw last year, the best Canadians still got a crack at USL. Mark Gonzalez IIRC wasn't at the combine, wasn't drafted and ended up being a top player in USL w Swope Park. There are good players who might just need a new environment and continued playing time ie Camargo, Sacramento, Nanco, etc ...

• 3 weeks later...

Reviews and draft predictions of our top players after having followed Canadians in NCAA and watched the first games of the combine:

Shamit Shome: A versatile midfielder with good control, passing and vision. Was an NASL starter and performed well so it’s a big plus for teams. His position at mls level is still unclear. Prediction: top 20 pick.

Brian Wright: A forward with size who scored consistently at Vermont. Makes good runs but is most importantly also good outside the box. Played well in the first game at the combine and won a penalty. Prediction: late first round or second round pick.

Adonijah Reid: Only 17 years old and was one of the best players in his first game at the combine. Gave the pass that led to the foul on Wirght in the box. Can play as a striker or attacking midfielder but his best position is attacking midfield or second striker. Quick, fast turn, good through balls. Will need time in usl. Prediction: late first round or second round pick.

Chris Nanco: An undersized forward at 5’6. Not a big scorer but still performed very well for Syracuse and came up big in tournament games. Unlikely at this point to become an mls player but will still get time in usl to prove himself. Prediction: second or third round pick.

Kwame Awuah: A versatile, left footed player who started his UCONN career as a left back then moved to attacking midfielder. Was a co-captain in his last two years and scored and assisted several goals. Played as a left back in the first game at the combine and did well. If he is to make it and last at mls level, it would be as a LB as he doesn’t have the skill set to be a starting AM in the league. Undersized at 5’7. Would need some time in usl to work on his game. Prediction: second or third round pick.

Sergio Camargo: Has apparently signed a contract with TFC and so would not be in the draft. Was not able to break through as a top player at Syracuse in the regular season but finally did so in tournament play with big goals and assists. He is 22 and will probably have only one or two years with the usl team to prove that he can make the step up, which is very unlikely at this point.

23 hours ago, Big_M said:

Adonijah Reid: Only 17 years old and was one of the best players in his first game at the combine. Gave the pass that led to the foul on Wirght in the box. Can play as a striker or attacking midfielder but his best position is attacking midfield or second striker. Quick, fast turn, good through balls. Will need time in usl. Prediction: late first round or second round pick.

Would be surprised if wasn't a top 15 pick. TBH there isn't that many players that have this much potential in the draft. If you can get even a contributor from the draft that is pretty good, to get a potential starter would be great for any team. I think a team will gamble on someone who is young to be a prospect and get him as a GA is a bonus.

Day 2

The players did well but didn't do enough to move up, except maybe for Reid. He started as a striker but then played as AM and it was clear that it's where he excels. Shome played on the right side but still hasn't shown that special something and might have gone down a bit because of that. Awuah played at DM and Nanco as a forward but they are clearly far from mls. Wright played as CF with good runs from behind the play and very good when he got the ball lower on the pitch as he showed good acceleration and decision making. Is really the type of player who needs to be allowed to drop lower to get balls.

Shome: late first round
Reid: mid first round to second round
Wright: late first round to second round
Awuah: second or third round
Nanco: second or third round

Day 3

Awuah played first at DM and then at LB and again excelled at the latter. Reid played at RW and was good making runs with the ball. Needs to show that he can defend as well. Wright didn't play so was either hurt or got word that a team would definitely pick him and sat out. Counting as a domestic will help him a lot. Shome played at CM and again didn't show anything special. Nanco played at RM and was good in the final third and on the other side of the ball. 

Wright: mid first round to second round
Shome: late first round
Reid: late first round to second round
Awuah: second or third round
Nanco: second or third round

Archived