NCAA Canadians 2016

Dub Narcotic

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully this is the right place to post this.

To add some info to the above, myself and the guys at Prospect XI were at the Sigma showcase two weeks ago (Friday games) and saw Reggie and Marcel, amongst others.

The last game for Sigma A1, Zajac scored a very nice goal from about 20-25 yards out w his left foot and while it's hard to truly scout the full potential of players in these combine set ups, he did look like he was ready for the next level in the two games we saw.

Christopher Jaggarnath (M/F) also scored a goal from distance in their first game of the day and looked good in both matches we saw.

I wish I had been at the showcase in 2013/2012 to see how Larin and Layrea performed as a comparison. The last two years I have not seen a player from them that you can say really catches the eye - but this is not a criticism because they develop players in a system and they all can execute technically at a high level w no weak links, which is attractive to teams who play a 4-3-3 or a possession game, for example.

Despite that, I would say there was a kid on the B1 team (would go to college in 2 yrs) a #8/DM who to me stood apart from the competition. I did not catch his name unfortunately but he was already 6'+ and fully developed physically, as well as carried himself with confidence.

I mentioned last year how you watch Sigma and you really see a highly technical unit on the pitch, with no individual superstars so to speak. But last year, and this year, Vaughan had players that really stood apart as individual talents.

I would be surprised if we don't hear the name Duwayne Ewart (Vaugahn) regarding his next steps. Some might recall his name from the U17 team, which I think incorrectly has him down as being part of the Whitecaps program. I don't want to gush but, to me, physically/technically/athletically he is very gifted. My only concern is sometimes kids who are this good at a young age don't continue to push themselves. He was a bit petulant and chirped at the ref both games we saw him, which resulted in a yellow card. However, he was probably the most skilled individual player we saw that day.

Vaughan also had a keeper named Liam McQueenie who very much looked the part and would continue their tradition of back to back years seeing them where they had top keepers (Dayne St Clair from last year is now at Maryland). He very much carried himself like a pro, continually organizing his teammates and defenders with instructions/encouragement etc ... I would be surprised if he is not playing at the next level somewhere.

Finally, with some confusion Vaughan also had a CB who we thought looked the part, at least physically/athletically, whose name was Nial. The only kid we could track that might have been him was Nial Higgins but he is listed at Ajax SC. However, Ajax did not participate in this year's showcase and part of me wondered if maybe he might have switched to an academy that would participate in the showcase for some NCAA scouting? If anyone knows, please feel free to share.

All of these kids (save for the Sigma DM) should be in NCAA in 2016 so hopefully this post is appropriate and helpful.

8 hours ago, Dub Narcotic said:

Great stuff. I think Duwayne Ewart actually was with the Whitecaps residency for a while but there was an issue a while ago where a lot of players were let go for unspecified disciplinary reasons; he may have been one of those players.

I'm not sure if it was disciplinary reasons or the new memorandum that the Whitecaps were requiring all players to sign. I heard that some kids refused to sign and left the program.

22 hours ago, Soccerpro said:

As someone who doesn't live in Ontario, why does Sigma pump out so many more prospects than the other academies? Why are they so far ahead?

I'll offer my 2 cents ...

I'm not sure if you mean independent academies or even the MLS ones? There are several reasons but I think they all add up. I would probably start with coaching, consistency/continuity and philosophy as the starting points.

I believe the majority of their staff has been there from the beginning with almost no turnover, and from the top the technical director (Bobby) has a strong background in youth development having worked with Olympiacos and Ajax prior to starting Sigma. They set out a clear mandate of what they wanted to do, which wasn't win trophies, but set the path from point A to point B and carve out that 1% elite player.

They don't have a pro team at the top of their pyramid, but they still operate as though they do, so to add to the philosophy, they are developing players specifically to fulfill a pro set up. This is probably why they appear to have good relationships in MLS with the likes of Seattle, SKC and RSL as their approaches are in alignment.

I also think that they are looking at the 'long game' - in that how many youth team titles or U15/17 call ups is not important, it's developing a kid so they have the best chance to become a senior team/pro player. So I think you see that there will be many kids who at 14-17 might look far more skilled on an individual basis, but their players I think are better equipped for the next levels of playing NCAA -> pro and fitting into a club/team's system.

While the NCAA does not get much love up here, their choice to leverage that as part of their roadmap I believe has set them apart. It has helped them gain recognition and build strong relationships in the US, both with schools but also the MLS teams. Pretty much every top NCAA program was at their showcase, and in total I believe each year there is about 100 that come out to scout.

As a footnote - I was looking back on their roster and will ping out a few more names we might add to the list.

Jordan Morris (our very own!) only played half the first game on Friday but I remember him from last year as being one to recall this year. He only played about 30 mins but had some good moments.

Daniel Oginni last year was very good as a winger/wide player and this year, I'm not sure if it was because the Friday games they take their foot off the pedal, but looked off his game. He probably will be playing somewhere next fall.

Finally I do recall a RB who had lots of touches, Tyler Treavajo, and he seems in sync with his teammates and did well in a position I'd expect teams to be looking to fill.

I would also expect other local academies such as Masters, Durham and Woodbridge to probably have some kids in the NCAA next year as there were quite a few who at the very least physically and athletically were eye catching.

Next year there are three academies who will be ones to watch: 1v1 Soccer has a team who dominated this year, both in Canada and the US, Eurostars Lions and Rush will all have players who will be available to play in NCAA in 2017.

One thing I know about Sigma, besides what is mentioned above, is that they expose their players to professional academies all the time.  Most players coming through the system go on training stints at european clubs and by the time the graduate they have gone on 3-4 training stints abroad.  That doesn't include the tournaments and training camps they run in Toronto as part of their training.  They have international coaches all the time.

So not only are these kids developed individually on technique and tactics, they are constantly challenged and exposed to a higher level of play.  Essentially, they're not allowed to plateau.

• 1 month later...

Andre Baires - University of Wisconsin-Green Bay
Vana Markarian - Columbia University
Cole Morokhovich - Princeton University
Frazer Poulter - Oregon State University
Daniel Sagno - University of Washington
Luciano Trasolini - California Polytechnic State University

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/youth/post/2016/02/01/signing-day-seven-whitecaps-fc-youth-players-commit-ncaa-schools

Antonio Terceros-Downey has committed to Holy Cross http://www.goholycross.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=33100&ATCLID=210685431

Felipe Vieira has committed to Buffalo University http://www.ubbulls.com/sports/msoc/2016-17/releases/20160205j1nq5

Mac Harrington has committed to Sacramento State http://www.hornetsports.com/sports/msoc/2015-16/releases/20160203lp5nez

On 2/5/2016 at 4:27 PM, masster said:

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/youth/post/2016/02/01/signing-day-seven-whitecaps-fc-youth-players-commit-ncaa-schools

Article in the Province on the 7 Whitecaps kids who are off to NCAA:
http://blogs.theprovince.com/2016/02/07/whitecaps-fc-delivery-system-streams-seven-local-high-schoolers-to-ncaa-div-1-soccer-futures/

• 2 months later...
On 2015-12-27 at 10:58 AM, Havoc88 said:

Daniel Oginni last year was very good as a winger/wide player and this year, I'm not sure if it was because the Friday games they take their foot off the pedal, but looked off his game. He probably will be playing somewhere next fall.

It looks like Oginni has committed to Cincinnati.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

NCAA schedule starts this weekend and preseason lists of the best players are out.

Soccer by Ives has Sergio Camargo at #10 on his list of draft prospects (college seniors with a few GA potentials).
http://sbisoccer.com/2016/08/sbis-top-30-mls-draft-prospects-and-top-20-homegrown-player-prospects

Top Drawer Soccer has Sergio Camargo at #36, Brian Wright at #39, and Kwame Awuah at #47 on its list of the top sophmores, juniors and seniors in college soccer. I think those are the only Canadians.
http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/college/upperclassmentop100/?genderId=m&periodId=37&seasonId=2016&nopage=1

Week 1 (last week)

Akron

In a 1-0 win, Marcel Zajac played 33 minutes.

Duke

In a 5-1 win, Kevon Black played 21 minutes.

Syracuse

In a 3-0 win, Sergio Camargo started and had one assist, Christopher Nanco started and scored one goal and Kamal Miller started. In a 2-1 win, Nanco and Miller started.

UCONN

In a 3-1 win, Kwame Awuah started and had one assist and Munir Saleh started. In a 2-0 win, Awuah started and had one assist and Saleh started.

UNC

In a 3-0 win, Alexander Comsia played 90 minutes. In another 3-0 win, he played 84 minutes.

Michigan State

In a 2-1 win, Michael Marcantognini was subbed in. He was also subbed in in a 2-0 loss.

Penn State

In a 0-0 draw, Dayonn Harris started and played 75 minutes, Aymar Sigue was subbed in and played 54 minutes and Mitchel Bringolf was subbed in and played 72 minutes. In a 2-1 loss (OT), Bringolf started and played 92 minutes and Harris started and played 42 minutes.

UNC Wilmington

In a 4-1 win, Stian Sandbekkhaug was subbed in, played 41 minutes and scored 2 goals.

On 2/4/2016 at 4:27 PM, masster said:

Sagno posted on twitter that he has now signed to go to San Diego State. Not sure what changed and why he is no longer going to Washington.

I am Happy to announce that as of today i have signed to San Diego State University #GoAztecs ?

1 hour ago, Dub Narcotic said:

Camargo transferred from Coastal Carolina to Syracuse? He was the captain at CC. Feel like we've been following his career forever.

It does. I think I first saw him play for TFC about 6 years ago. Glad to see him doing well. I wonder if TFC will try to sign him as a home grown like they did with Chapman. 

Archived