NCAA Canadians 2016

Dub Narcotic

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First day of the draft was't quite as fruitful as some of the mock drafts had the Canadians going, but overall the 4 selected landed in good spots. NYCFC traded in order to be able to draft Awuah so hopefully they have big plans for him. Wright seems like someone who can produce anywhere he goes so as a first round pick maybe he will get a shot with the Revs.

Reid landed in a great spot with a US team that actually uses and values its youth in Dallas. They also have a pretty well supported and funded USL team. Hopefully, he can develop there for a year or two and then make the jump. People seem pretty split on Shome in Montreal. Montreal has to eventually start playing some Canadian talent so hopefully next year Shome can be a part of that.

Any idea why there is such a long break until the rest of the draft?  

6 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

First day of the draft was't quite as fruitful as some of the mock drafts had the Canadians going, but overall the 4 selected landed in good spots. NYCFC traded in order to be able to draft Awuah so hopefully they have big plans for him. Wright seems like someone who can produce anywhere he goes so as a first round pick maybe he will get a shot with the Revs.

Reid landed in a great spot with a US team that actually uses and values its youth in Dallas. They also have a pretty well supported and funded USL team. Hopefully, he can develop there for a year or two and then make the jump. People seem pretty split on Shome in Montreal. Montreal has to eventually start playing some Canadian talent so hopefully next year Shome can be a part of that.

Any idea why there is such a long break until the rest of the draft?  

Because it was called supplemental draft before and they kept the formula the same, just didn`t keep the name.

If you look back over the last few drafts, one or two Canadians being selected was the norm. The rule changes seem to have got the number of Canadian selections up to where they should be in per capita population terms, if both countries are going to have equitable access. The big thing now will be whether all four are able to stick at MLS level. Hopefully having domestic status and the ability to play in the USL rather than in the old reserve game setup provides that extra edge needed to carve out solid careers in MLS. The new way of doing things is still far from perfect but it is a huge improvement over how things were 10 years ago when TFC first entered the league. The key now for the CSA is to improve the youth development system at the clubs outside of the three MLS academies that are going to be recognized by MLS, so things can be pushed beyond the per capita population ratio.

My thoughts are as much as I thought Awuah was the best of the bunch, I'm not 100% on what will go down with NYCFC. Matarrita is a pretty hot shit prospect, so I don't see him getting significant time at LB, which is where I'd think he'd be best suited. Although after that would be LM, so maybe with some players clearing out he might get a chance, but I think it might depend on what NYCFC does through the offseason in terms of bringing new DPs in. I do think of the players drafted Awuah will be the one we might hear the most about.

Wright to NER is a fairly logical choice because of the proximity and it makes me think there is a chance they had scouted him prior to the draft/combine. However, things look a bit crowded there and I'm not sure where he'll fit in to get significant minutes. If Agudelo doesn't deliver, there is probably an opportunity for him to make an impact so I'd be watching for that. My only hesitation on Wright is I can think of dozens of potent strikers and attackers over the years who have come out of NCAA and simply never delivered or never given a proper go in MLS. I am a Canadian homer so I hope he gets a real shot.

While Reid to FCD at first glance looks good, this is a program that is top shelf in terms of their academy and has heaps of talent currently in their academy as well as in the NCAA so if he's not ready to seriously compete for the first team I worry he'll get lost in the shuffle and not get the same treatment as American prospects. Maybe they picked him to simply add to their already significant youth talent? I'm not sure and am always skeptical about Canadians getting a fair shake.

I'm not as high on Shome as other so I will take a wait and see but as noted, without FCM I think that is a bad situation.

I don't mean to piss on any cornflakes but this year had former top picks such as Steve Neumann and JJ Koval retire after only two years pro and especially Neumann was an outstanding NCAA talent. I do think Neumann could have had a pro career but it comes down to the right place alot of the time. However, with the CanPL discussion so hot right now, I think all of the players in this year's draft will keep playing whether it be MLS, USL or CanPL when that kicks off.

Archived