Iain Hume on fire in India! Canada needs him against Mexico!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2015-12-17 at 11:08 AM, OnkelDal said:

Call him up for the USA friendly. Wouldn't hurt

In theory it doesn't hurt. But that game is the last opportunity for our current squad to develop their chemistry for Mexico.

I also like the heart Hume plays with, but with the exceptions of Atiba and JdG there shouldn't be anyone in the lineup that was even born before Mexico '86.

4 hours ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

In theory it doesn't hurt. But that game is the last opportunity for our current squad to develop their chemistry for Mexico.

I also like the heart Hume plays with, but with the exceptions of Atiba and JdG there shouldn't be anyone in the lineup that was even born before Mexico '86.

No Jakovic or Ledgerwood?

5 hours ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

Because we have so many options at striker?

Larin - great, let's hope he doesn't get hurt. Marcus Haber - love the guy but I'd like someone a little more effective. Occean - apparently out of favour with the coach. Cavallini - rarely accepts a  call. Anthony Jackson-Hamel - very few top level minutes. Jordan Hamilton - where is he? Kyle Porter - does he have an appearance for Canada?

Am I missing anyone?

43 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Because we have so many options at striker?

Larin - great, let's hope he doesn't get hurt. Marcus Haber - love the guy but I'd like someone a little more effective. Occean - apparently out of favour with the coach. Cavallini - rarely accepts a  call. Anthony Jackson-Hamel - very few top level minutes. Jordan Hamilton - where is he? Kyle Porter - does he have an appearance for Canada?

Am I missing anyone?

I heard there's a Tesho Akindele character who's not bad. 

4 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Does he ever play alone up top? He hasn't for Canada. Same with Ricketts, Hoilett, Jackson....

Yes he does sometimes for FC Dallas. And the way Floro has the outside mids playing nobody is alone up top, looked more like a 4-1-2-3 against Honduras and ES. All the central striker has to do is find an open pocket, control a ball at his feet, lay it off to the wingers or ACM, and make a good run up the middle as Larin did for the goal against Honduras.

3 hours ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

Yes he does sometimes for FC Dallas. And the way Floro has the outside mids playing nobody is alone up top, looked more like a 4-1-2-3 against Honduras and ES. All the central striker has to do is find an open pocket, control a ball at his feet, lay it off to the wingers or ACM, and make a good run up the middle as Larin did for the goal against Honduras.

Id argue our striker is always alone up top. Never has any support and is isolated. 

Also i think cavilinni is back in the fold. Last call up he accpeted but was injured. He never played for his club during our wcq games. 

4 hours ago, Califax said:

Anyone arguing Hume doesn't deserve a look hasn't watched him play. He's had a nose for goal since he was a fetus. That's something that could come in handy off the bench in the 82nd. 

6 goals in 41 caps (including 2 against St. Lucia) isn't exactly a nose for goal.

And I watched (and cheered for) him since he first debuted for Canada, I guess we just prefer different styles of soccer players, fair enough.

Hope everyone on here had a great Christmas and best wishes for the New Year!

6 hours ago, king1010 said:

Id argue our striker is always alone up top. Never has any support and is isolated. 

Also i think cavilinni is back in the fold. Last call up he accpeted but was injured. He never played for his club during our wcq games. 

That's a valid point, historically we've pulled ten guys to the edge of our box, hoofed the ball up the park to our lone striker, and hoped for the best. But against Hon and ES Hoilette was pushed up, playing like a second striker pretty much all game, Ricketts was the same until he got gassed and pulled back in the second half, and Johnson was right on his heels as well. Much more aggresive that what we've been used to, here's hoping it's a sign of things to come!

On ‎01‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 2:23 PM, aloyol said:

In his last game for us we needed 9 goals from Hume and he only managed 1. He failed Canada.

Are you kidding me.  He was subbed on and scored the only goal. He guy has fight in him he does not care what the score is.  He plays hard.  We need him on the Canada team.  He has never got a fair chance.

18 hours ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

6 goals in 41 caps (including 2 against St. Lucia) isn't exactly a nose for goal.

And I watched (and cheered for) him since he first debuted for Canada, I guess we just prefer different styles of soccer players, fair enough.

Hope everyone on here had a great Christmas and best wishes for the New Year!

Well a lot of those games he was subbed on and played on the outside.

4 hours ago, jojoflow said:

Are you kidding me.  He was subbed on and scored the only goal. He guy has fight in him he does not care what the score is.  He plays hard.  We need him on the Canada team.  He has never got a fair chance.

No, I'm not kidding, I always expect each of our strikers to score at least 8 goals per game. But fair point about him being subbed in, but I still expect 4-5 goals in that case.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/26/2015 at 8:17 PM, Califax said:

Anyone arguing Hume doesn't deserve a look hasn't watched him play. He's had a nose for goal since he was a fetus. That's something that could come in handy off the bench in the 82nd. 

I think we all like the guy and thank him for his contributions.

As a coach, I would not call him to a world cup qualifier because he is playing in a very low rated league and combined with his age, I really think he could not be effective at this level.

If he playing in League One or the SPL (or leagues of that level or better) and were scoring goals,  I would certainly consider him because he is being tested against better competition.

Yes, I am dismissing the quality of Indian football.  They have a long way to go.

14 minutes ago, amanfromvancouver said:

I think we all like the guy and thank him for his contributions.

As a coach, I would not call him to a world cup qualifier because he is playing in a very low rated league and combined with his age, I really think he could not be effective at this level.

If he playing in League One or the SPL (or leagues of that level or better) and were scoring goals,  I would certainly consider him because he is being tested against better competition.

Yes, I am dismissing the quality of Indian football.  They have a long way to go.

No offence but what are you basing this on? How many games have you actually seen Humey play in the last couple years? More importantly what actual program are you watching that I'm missing where you would catigorically deny Hume from participating in a camp? Who would miss out if he was called? Sorry to challenge you again, but it seems like for someone who's followed the NT as long as you have you would understand that we're not fortunate enough to turn down anyone who's actually playing regularly. Let alone scoring.

5 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

No offence but what are you basing this on? How many games have you actually seen Humey play in the last couple years? More importantly what actual program are you watching that I'm missing where you would catigorically deny Hume from participating in a camp? Who would miss out if he was called? Sorry to challenge you again, but it seems like for someone who's followed the NT as long as you have you would understand that we're not fortunate enough to turn down anyone who's actually playing regularly. Let alone scoring.

I agree with you .. the problem that Floro and most of our MNT managers have is they come in knowing little to nothing about individual player histories and seem to care less, its one thing to evaluate at camps etc. but when you do not have some performance perspective that is longer then two years, I think you miss out on the psychological strengths of some players.

Hume even at his current age falls into that leadership role, even if on the bench as one of 18 or in a selection squad of 25, you get three subs a game, veteran players can also lead from the bench and during a qualification run, I would think naming him for the Mexican home and away is a good move for the squad in total.

It's nice to see Hume scoring. It’s really pleasant to see youngsters like Zanatta and Zabasis getting minutes in their respective first division clubs, but they can’t just be part of the squad when Floro has been working with other players since 2 years at least. He can’t just include every forward that scored before the Mexico game (if he was scoring at a known and higher level, I'd could change my mind), or an 18 years old that get 5 minutes of playing time, and make 5-6 changes during WCQ games.

28 minutes ago, canucklefan said:

It's nice to see Hume scoring. It’s really pleasant to see youngsters like Zanatta and Zabasis getting minutes in their respective first division clubs, but they can’t just be part of the squad when Floro has been working with other players since 2 years at least. He can’t just include every forward that scored before the Mexico game (if he was scoring at a known and higher level, I'd could change my mind), or an 18 years old that get 5 minutes of playing time, and make 5-6 changes during WCQ games.

Agreed, it is nothing personal, and agreed, if he were scoring on a higher level. In any case, Hume himself knows that by playing a few months of the year in India he is making himself ineligible for a call-up, plain and simple.

As is, Junior is scoring, Larin did last year too. Arfield. If you can get someone else who is hot and can improve on Haber being a sub, then great. Otherwise, have to go with the core group and hope they can ride the wave past Mexico in March.

Im the biggest Hume fan out there and I dont think you call him for Mexico automatically. I think you call him for USA to take a look but more so cause there are lots of guys we cant call.

You call him for *USA* (edit) with the understanding that short of him impressing the pants off everyone, he is probablyu just holding up a spot and keeping up the energy for guys that wont be released.

Archived