MLS and Club Suppression of Supporters

Grizzly

The Impact traveling support for tomorrow's match in Toronto has a league imposed fan and banner ban. We also have a similar ban for our next home game on Sept. 5th. Here is the UM statement concerning this: 

Regarding the upcoming away match in Toronto, the next home game on September 5th and our banners from the last home game:

For the third time over the last two seasons, all supporter «privileges» (an MLS created term to design flags, drums, banners, group banners, etc.) have been removed for the supporters traveling to Toronto, next Saturday, August 29th. 
Unlike in 2014 when a similar decision was imposed, these sanctions will also be enforced on all of the 132 section, for the match on September 5th, 2015. This decision was taken by our club’s front office and the MLS, based on an illegal use of smoking devices in the 132 section in each of the last 4 games.

Summary of events leading to this:
In November 2014, the club’s front office reached out to us for a general meeting, like at numerous occasions in the past. Despite showing our interest in an open discussion and giving our availability, this meeting never took place. After two follow-ups in December and January, the club suddenly wasn’t interested in communicating with its only supporters association, the ASUP (L’Association des Supporters de l’Impact de Montréal). After the CONCACAF Champions League quarter final game against Pachuca, everything unfolded:

- A new rule was introduced at the Olympic Stadium, regarding all material that had to be fireproofed (flags, banners, tifos, etc.) Originally this was presented to us as a requirement for an indoor stadium and an MLS standard, however, both these turned out to be false. The same rule was enforced at Saputo Stadium later on.
- Abusive searches started being conducted only in the supporters section (corporal searches, bags and even metal detectors)
- We received an official letter threatening us to remove supporter privileges for the first away match in Boston if any pyrotechnic device was used on March 18th. A mysterious yellow smoking device was lit behind our section on that date, leading to a 2nd collective ban of «supporter privileges» . 
- The ASUP (L’Association des Supporters de l’Impact de Montréal) received a written proposition from the club regarding « legal use of pyro » at Saputo Stadium. Seeking to resolve this issue and develop a healthy relationship with the club’s FO, the ASUP responded with a revised proposition in June. More than a month later, there was still no response from the club and only at the end of July, one of the ASUP members was verbally informed that the club had a similar project with the 127, well before ours.

Many have noticed that not a single smoking device was used for the majority of the season at Saputo Stadium. However, as these actions are taken by single individuals rather than the groups in 132, it was only a matter of time before they reappeared. For us, along with Drogba came an inflow of various people in our section, among which some have used smoking devices. And what happens when there’s smoke in our section? Collective ban for anyone traveling to the match in Toronto. This was followed by more threats for the September 5th game, during which other devices were used in an oversold section, and now another collective ban of “supporter privileges”.

According to the information received, the pyrotechnic devices used during the last games « clearly illustrate a lack of collaboration from the 132 and interfere with our process to legalize smoking devices in the near future». This is not the first time UM02 and the ASUP are being accused of not wanting to collaborate. Ironically, we started a negotiation process, did several follow-ups and made it clear to the club that we were willing to collaborate in order to resolve this issue. We have now exhausted all our options.

It now seems very unlikely to go any further, as the club doesn’t believe we’re ready for a negotiation process. Here’s another example of a good relationship between a club and its supporters: «Your behavior over the last three games interferes with our process to legalize smoking devices in the near future and clearly illustrates that it’s too early to even consider legal smoking devices in 131/132». Since the group was created in 2002, we might have to wait for our legal age in 2020?

From another perspective, the MLS focuses its marketing on its supporters and puts them at the center of what they possessively call «their product». However, in reality, all we receive are threats, false accusations, individual stadium ban and collective bans of “supporter privileges”. That’s the real hypocrisy, in Montreal and elsewhere in the league.

Finally, this lack of respect from the club is not something new for anyone. It happens towards the ultras, the general supporters, some players and even journalists. Before the MLS entry, we had our entire material banned, had to deal with violence from the security agents hired by the club, we were fined and even had material stolen from our locker. However this year we reached a new low in our relationship with them. Just like Patrice Bernier, Laurent Ciman and Bakary Soumaré (just to name those that chose this path in 2015, only!) we were left with no other choice but to bring this matter out publicly. Like many people that deal with the club on a daily basis, we’ve had enough. It’s becoming extremely hard to support the team while being in constant conflict with those who manage the same organization.

Toujours fidèles depuis 2002, mais épuisés.

11892122_10153157927743546_3953212115487

11896096_10153157930873546_7572319219700

Simple solution, walk out.  I can't tell you how many times I've watched Impact games on TV this year and last where if not for the Ultras it would look like a L1O game in the stands.  

Now obviously Montreal brass think that because of Drogba showing up it needs to be a family atmosphere.  Like really?  Because of SMOKE this is happening?  Give me a break and if there are people who don't like the smoke go stand/watch somewhere else.. on top of that why can there be ZERO banners because of smoke lit off by (supposedly) one individual?  Because they're afraid they'll be shown up by MTL ultras in front of their whole stadium of "families" that's why.  

Unfortunately this problem probably goes higher than Montreal brass and undoubtedly MLS has a hand in this.  "We are a single entity, if we say yes to one we say yes to all" but at the same time MLS will be more than willing to use shots of you guys and your smoke for marketing campaigns.  It's funny they are basically letting supporter culture grow the league through marketing but then at the same time they're trying to destroy supporter culture.  

Just do the same thing you guys did back in the wars vs NDS and Saputo and don't show up til halftime. Shows how crappy not only the Impact PR towards their own dedicated fans but also the league. I think they feel threatened by messages Ultras can display out for everyone to see on TV. It's about power control and manipulation. "Everything is ok" we don't like people telling us what to do or what we do is wrong.

So basically what I am reading is "Security at Toronto venues continues to poop parties and destroy anything resembling sports culture."

Lets give Ti-Cat fans a hard time any time they visit the dome

Lets ban Anti-Argo banners at BMO

Lets ban actual Argo banners at the Dome

Lets ban beer cans and double concession waits because one time someone threw a beer in front of Beckham

Lets ban opposition banners at BMO (and possibly generically)

Lets ban anything resembling excitement at a Leafs game

Lets ban people throwing their jersey's in disgust at Leafs games

Lets ban tailgating of any kind, anywhere, anytime

Heck pretty soon I expect Toronto to ban it's sports teams from winning.

Could be worse, it could be NYC: After yet another incident, NYPD and Yankee Stadium security must stop treating soccer fans like criminals.

Despite some people I know declaring that these fans of a "plastic" club deserve what they are getting, I say we have to defend the worst among us or forfeit our own rights. We must all stand together to oppose what happened to the UM and the Third Rail Supporters Club or we must accept that sitting quietly in our seats while buying tons of merchandise, beer and food is the only acceptable form of support.

So basically what I am reading is "Security at Toronto venues continues to poop parties and destroy anything resembling sports culture."

Lets give Ti-Cat fans a hard time any time they visit the dome

Lets ban Anti-Argo banners at BMO

Lets ban actual Argo banners at the Dome

Lets ban beer cans and double concession waits because one time someone threw a beer in front of Beckham

Lets ban opposition banners at BMO (and possibly generically)

Lets ban anything resembling excitement at a Leafs game

Lets ban people throwing their jersey's in disgust at Leafs games

Lets ban tailgating of any kind, anywhere, anytime

Heck pretty soon I expect Toronto to ban it's sports teams from winning.

Security at BMO is pretty bad and useless. As usually on Saturday they let a lot of trouble makers sit in the rows in front of us and then wonder why that causes problems. I have also heard that some of the Toronto supporter groups are having similar problems to us with the league and TFC management but I will let them speak for themselves. However, to clarify in case their is any doubt, the ban on flags, drums etc.at BMO did not come from TFC but was from MLS. How much of that is coming from MLS and how much from the Impact is hard to know exactly but both are involved.

Security at BMO is a joke. We always have problems with banners. They second there is an argument with security they kick you you out. What is weird is that this season has actually been good so far relative to the past but at least 1 or 2 incidents happen very game. 

If it wasn't for the Ultras I would have cancelled my season ticket years ago, I renew because the Ultras support the team win lose or draw. Punishing the Ultras punishes the fans. When I think about it, it is not surprising as Saputo has no integrity along with NDS who was promoted after Saputo said he was fired. Now NDS seems to be the puppet master with his buddy Braz. as TD. Why hire someone with no technical experience? What other club would hire NDS or Braz?   NOBODY.  Going forward who will be the next coach? And who will decide? The answer is the same gang that failed 3 times out of 3. Marsh was lucky to get out of Dodge and not have to work for these morons. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Saw highlights of Red Bulls-DC and the pyro display beforehand was a huge mess of smoke. So thinking, okay, I am against flares in the stands. But how can MLS seriously try to say no to those kinds of things when they allow these massive fumes and pyro rallies before games in so many stadiums? It makes no sense.

Not to mention promoting a non-violent atmosphere while letting all these stadiums be invaded by militarist ROTC and patriotic marching and saluting. I mean, if the message is kill others to protect your values, don't be surprised if supporters groups get the wrong idea.:P

Archived