If Bush can't imagine Smits playing?!

As it stands now, bush is suspended for the CCL final, kronberg cannot play, crepeau cannot either. Smits has been getting loaned to Mtl as a backup for CCL games and if bush suspension does not get reversed wouldn't that put smit into getting loaned again and getting the start for that game?!

No ones talking about this but wouldn't it be cool that smits first action would come in a huge Final?! Maybe this will get him more noticed for canada as he will be playing for an MLS team in a final which I'm sure floro can watch

Crépeau is injured as far as I know, going on what the local media says. Still, the Impact needs a second goalkeeper in case the first one is injured or redcarded. I do think that no matter what, the Impact need another goalkeeper with them on Wednesday. Why can't the Impact sign a player from our Academy on a short contract or even get one of those MLS pool goalkeepers? Why didn't they choose those options instead of Smits? Why can't they sign a player from Unattached FC?

No fan of short term loans.  These band-aid type ones anyway.  They always feels a bit TOO desperate don't they?  For all parties involves.

Of course, if you are desperate (club or player) I guess, where's the harm?  Have at 'er.

First they loaned Nicht as back-up, then Smits twice on short loans. Makes you wonder why they went for Kronberg in the first place. They probably thought they would exit the Champions League after two games but still, not a very smart choice (I do understand he's probably cheap).

First they loaned Nicht as back-up, then Smits twice on short loans. Makes you wonder why they went for Kronberg in the first place. They probably thought they would exit the Champions League after two games but still, not a very smart choice (I do understand he's probably cheap).

They also expected that Crépeau would be fit. He got injured in training camp. They felt good by going in with two goalkeepers and they probably had calls to get a third once in case of injury/suspension. 

Anyways, it looks like Crépeau is fit.  I think that the Impact should just go with these two and I feel that it would be wrong to get another goalkeeper.

Reading on Twitter that Bush's suspension has been upheld.

The Impact made their bed when they signed a cup-tied keeper. The Impact and MLS are being ripped (rightfully so IMO) for even thinking of signing yet another keeper on a very short term loan.

I have a gut feeling that if Smits gets the start and they end up losing the final, he will be the scapegoat, but it's probably his only chance to get a sniff of action with an MLS team. A chance that he wouldn't have gotten while sitting on the bench in Edmonton.

They also expected that Crépeau would be fit. He got injured in training camp. They felt good by going in with two goalkeepers and they probably had calls to get a third once in case of injury/suspension. 

Anyways, it looks like Crépeau is fit.  I think that the Impact should just go with these two and I feel that it would be wrong to get another goalkeeper.

They were fine with Crepeau being the back-up. Would you play a kid in one of these Concacaf-games with practically no experience on the pro level?

The Impact really dropped the ball with signing Kronberg, in fact I think even Smits has more experience than Kronberg. And there's so many comparable goalkeepers to be found in the US, it just blows your mind why they have to choose the one keeper who is cup tied. They could have signed Lance Parker for cryin loud, they could have beat Edmonton in signing Van Oekel, heck they even could have signed Smits himself. 

Bush was a moron plain and simple.  He was stupid to get a yellow in the 33rd minute in Costa Rica and he was stupid to get in a confrontation that late at America.  He knew he was the only player who couldn't afford a yellow and he still managed it.  There is gamesmanship but you still need to be smart about it and understand that 10 seconds off the clock isn't worth you missing a match, that was just inexperience.  

I think even Smits has more experience than Kronberg.

Explain yourself. Kronberg has played more league games than Smits in his career and I'm not counting  Open Cup and CCL games where he has played even more games. He was a good back-up goalkeeper and a pro for 9 years. Smits truned pro 3 years ago. I still think that the experience of being in a pro environment is huge. And Smits had a contract with Edmonton, so the Impact would have had to pay a transfer fee, something that is rarely done (if ever) by an MLS team for a NASL player.

36 games vs 34. Ok he's more experienced. Aged 31 and had played 36 games before coming to Quebec. Come on man they could have done so much better (I actually used the word "comparable") without the cup issues. 

Now Smits has to come up big for them while he hasn't played a single match with that defense. Btw they are paying FCE right now for the double loan spell as well. Buying off his contract wouldn't have been that much more expensive I guess.

Smart move. Nicht has been training with them for the quarter finals. He knows the team and has a lot of experience. Nicht in goal, Smits on the bench.

Nicht will probably give bush a hand full in MLS too. And I'll stop complaining about Impact not signing him in the offseason. 

Archived