Victoria Highlanders FC folding?

shermanator

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Nice Janinho!  To be honest, I think one of the biggest challenges facing Calgary in terms of garnering more fans is trying to sell people on the idea of seeing the Puget Sound Gunners.  The fact that most people haven't heard of it makes it seem very minor league. 

But facing a team from Victoria sounds like an exciting game day experience, and one that even if it was on a weekday, I would take the day off work to drive in to Calgary to watch.

On 12/12/2015 at 9:44 AM, ted said:

http://www.timescolonist.com/sports/highlanders-bring-pdl-back-to-victoria-1.2131824

At this point I would be happy for us to stay in the PDL for a couple of years without worrying about dropping down again.

Agreed. With Alex Campbell no longer paying the bills, moving to USL is impossible without a new/enlarged ownership group.

Nothing wrong with PDL.

• 1 month later...

I'm happy and jelous at same time I always wanted a team for Richmond that I could attend without leaving the city ;)

Used to be a Whitecapsfc STH for many years at Swansea, Empire and BC Place. I still attend the games once in a while but costs are slowly creeping up. I wouldn't mind spending 100$ per season ticket on a local team. Whitecapsfc 2 are a little too far for me with the twins.

Good luck Victoria

On 21/01/2016 at 9:18 PM, canadianfoot said:

I'm happy and jelous at same time I always wanted a team for Richmond that I could attend without leaving the city ;)

Used to be a Whitecapsfc STH for many years at Swansea, Empire and BC Place. I still attend the games once in a while but costs are slowly creeping up. I wouldn't mind spending 100$ per season ticket on a local team. Whitecapsfc 2 are a little too far for me with the twins.

There are lots of clubs in Richmond you could support, starting with Richmond FC Hibernian in the Vancouver Metro Soccer League Premier Division. They play at Minoru, which is a PDL-quality venue.

6138967600_eaf53e814f.jpg

There's even an entire league in Richmond, dominated by Richmond All Blacks, who make a regular appearance in the BC Provincial 'B' Cup each spring.

There seems to be this invisible line that separates so-called "spectator" and "non-spectator" soccer here in Canada. I don't get it. VMSL is of PDL quality. Why not go support your local club? No admission, high quality football, all away (league) games within relatively close travel distance.

1 hour ago, Blue and White Army said:

There are lots of clubs in Richmond you could support, starting with Richmond FC Hibernian in the Vancouver Metro Soccer League Premier Division. They play at Minoru, which is a PDL-quality venue.

6138967600_eaf53e814f.jpg

There's even an entire league in Richmond, dominated by Richmond All Blacks, who make a regular appearance in the BC Provincial 'B' Cup each spring.

There seems to be this invisible line that separates so-called "spectator" and "non-spectator" soccer here in Canada. I don't get it. VMSL is of PDL quality. Why not go support your local club? No admission, high quality football, all away (league) games within relatively close travel distance.

True guess it's a psychological barrier...of some sort. Probably because  in the VMSL I have couple friends playing there for "fun" I don't look at it as being same quality as PDL or higher...Minoru I have always liked it. I rmbr when Whitecaps FC Womens team played a game it was full with extra benches being brought in for the game.

I do go watch games at Hugh Boyd regularly since it's like 5min walk for me.

Archived