Whitecaps to Start USL-Pro Affiliate in New West

Just being announced right now, says Marc Weber of the Province. 2015 target date.

Thoughts:

* Charleston has been a bust for the most part.

* This way, Vancouver controls the playing style and time of its loan players.

* New West in easily in Whitecaps territory, I imagine they will try to schedule games on opposite weekends.

* CSA must have dropped their opposition to USL in Canada.

* Also means the Canadian D1 is even farther from reality.

* MLS with another massive boost for Canadian players thanks to the USL partnership agreement. Steve Sandor and Lord Bob not reachable for comment.

* PDL team likely dead (about time).

Hey, if the Whitecaps want to take advantage of an American league obliterating its independence to develop players for Chile Canada, fine by me. We'll see how big a boost it winds up being in practice but it seems like a chance for a few young players to test their mettle at a higher level, which is a good thing. It's probably the only way the Whitecaps will ever give a decent number of Canadians professional minutes.

I still think PDL has a place for potential CIS guys and U-20s who aren't ready for full-time professional soccer yet. The presence of a USL Pro team to take the MLS reservists means that Whitecaps-trained NCAA guys could also be brought in. Don't see the objection to it, except when it's used as a "reserve team".

* CSA must have dropped their opposition to USL in Canada.

I guess you have not been paying attention. The suspension of approvals for USL (and other leagues) was lifted over two years ago.

* Also means the Canadian D1 is even farther from reality.

* MLS with another massive boost for Canadian players thanks to the USL partnership agreement. Steve Sandor and Lord Bob not reachable for comment.

* PDL team likely dead (about time).

• There was never any chance of a "Canadian D1"
  • This should improve the situation for Canadian players
  • not neccesarily.

What this does do is significantly improve the outlook for Victoria (and perhaps Kitsap) to make the jump to pro soccer by providing a team(s) closer than Sacramento.

Lord Bob: How does this "obliterate its independence to develop players for Canada"?

USL-Pro allows Canadians to be treated as domestics on ALL its teams unlike MLS. If anything this is a step in the right direction. It plays more games than the PDL team would and at arguably a higher level.

Lord Bob: How does this "obliterate its independence to develop players for Canada"?

My sentence structure was unclear. United Soccer Leagues has obliterated its independence. The Whitecaps are taking advantage of this to develop players for Canada. I am pleased by this development.

Please move your PDL franchise to Kelowna!  The Challenge went under and the Apple Bowl is decaying... 350K people in the valley and not even a toehold for high level soccer.... Kelowna and the valley need a champion for soccer so badly right now.

Ted, Canadian D1 isn't a far away reality. It's part of the Easton Report, but it wasn't announced to the public as it is a very very touchy strategic goal for the CSA Board. I think we will see the creation of a D3 Regional league first, then a D2, and finally a D1. Maybe D2 and D1 will get created in unison, who knows until the real talk starts happening.

Let's put things into perspective. When Canada has had a league where a consistent number of its players are playing first team minutes (old NASL, CSL), we've managed success with the national teams. We almost made the World Cup in the early 90s because of the CSL. 2000 GC win is an anomaly which could be explained by individual players playing first team minutes for their Euro clubs.

Bob said “We are thrilled to announce our efforts with the City of New Westminster to bring a new professional soccer team to its vibrant sports and family oriented community,” said club president Bob Lenarduzzi. “A USL PRO franchise in our own backyard is an important step in our efforts to support the development of players, especially young Canadians, at every level by bridging the pathway to our Major Soccer League team, as well as the national team.”

Where is the 'Caps hate' Canada brigade?  Funny how silent they are.  So does this mean TFC and Montreal hate Canada because they aren't setting up there own develpment teams? 

Can't even stop the Caps bashing long enough to write something positive.  Makes you wonder. 

Not really going to give the Caps credit for doing something that MLS mandated anyways. Maybe we should wait to see how it turns out first.

Not sure what is going on in Montreal but this past off season TFC and the Lynx were working on a deal to create a USL Pro team in Hamilton but that died with the city not willing to renege it's deal with Bob Young.

Both Toronto and Montreal will have to have a USL Pro franchise running by next season. My guess is they are just hammering out the details still.

I've yet to see any of the Caps douchebags on this forum apologize for the Bustos situation so I don't see why their critics need to say anything.

What this does do is significantly improve the outlook for Victoria (and perhaps Kitsap) to make the jump to pro soccer by providing a team(s) closer than Sacramento.

This sounds like a very positive potential development. Here's hoping this happens.

Not really going to give the Caps credit for doing something that MLS mandated anyways. Maybe we should wait to see how it turns out first.

Not sure what is going on in Montreal but this past off season TFC and the Lynx were working on a deal to create a USL Pro team in Hamilton but that died with the city not willing to renege it's deal with Bob Young.

Both Toronto and Montreal will have to have a USL Pro franchise running by next season. My guess is they are just hammering out the details still.

I've yet to see any of the Caps douchebags on this forum apologize for the Bustos situation so I don't see why their critics need to say anything.

Hahahah brilliant.  We now need to apologies for an individuals poor decision.  Not only do the Caps hate Canada, which is the direct reason Bustos decided to play for U-20 Chile, but the douchebags who support the Caps have to apologies for him.  Hahahaha........

Cant even bring yourself to say good job, sad.  Makes you wonder what your true priorities are?  Is it a East v West, Caps v TFC/ Montreal or are you a CMNT supporter first?  

I hate TFC, but am grateful for Henry, Morgan and what they do for the CMNT.  I love the Caps, but think Bustos is an ass.  Shame others can't make the same distinction.

btw its not MLS mandated and TFC & Montreal have until sept 15 to have everything sorted to play next season.  Care to wager that they have a team next year?

Ted, Canadian D1 isn't a far away reality. It's part of the Easton Report, but it wasn't announced to the public as it is a very very touchy strategic goal for the CSA Board.

WTF are you talking about!???!??!?!    There was a second, secret section of the Easton Report us mere mortals were not allowed to read? That is just fucking great. And so all the times we have discussed this in the past two years and people have hinted at mysterious "plans" this is what they are talking about?

That you have kept this hidden is offensive in the extreme.

I think we will see the creation of a D3 Regional league first, then a D2, and finally a D1. Maybe D2 and D1 will get created in unison, who knows until the real talk starts happening.

That would be a reasonable and fine plan in the long term. WTF would they have to hide that?  Why don't they come out and say that?

The real kicker is why do they secretly wish for it then turn around and abandon all responsibility for D3's to the provinces, publicly announcing they are no longer in the D3 business?

If what you say is true I am truly stunned at the CSA's incompetance and your duplicity.

Hahahah brilliant. We now need to apologies for an individuals poor decision. Not only do the Caps hate Canada, which is the direct reason Bustos decided to play for U-20 Chile, but the douchebags who support the Caps have to apologies for him. Hahahaha........

Cant even bring yourself to say good job, sad. Makes you wonder what your true priorities are? Is it a East v West, Caps v TFC/ Montreal or are you a CMNT supporter first?

I hate TFC, but am grateful for Henry, Morgan and what they do for the CMNT. I love the Caps, but think Bustos is an ass. Shame others can't make the same distinction.

btw its not MLS mandated and TFC & Montreal have until sept 15 to have everything sorted to play next season. Care to wager that they have a team next year?

I'm a Canadian national team fan first.

I call out the Whitecaps because they deserve it.

I will give them credit for their USL PRO team when we see it actually help develop Canadian players. Considering the Caps track record I think that's fair.

I'm a Canadian national team fan first.

I call out the Whitecaps because they deserve it.

I will give them credit for their USL PRO team when we see it actually help develop Canadian players. Considering the Caps track record I think that's fair.

If the Caps don't plan to staff their USL team with some Canadian players, I don't know what their plan is, lol.

Hahahah brilliant.  We now need to apologies for an individuals poor decision.  Not only do the Caps hate Canada, which is the direct reason Bustos decided to play for U-20 Chile, but the douchebags who support the Caps have to apologies for him.  Hahahaha........

Cant even bring yourself to say good job, sad.  Makes you wonder what your true priorities are?  Is it a East v West, Caps v TFC/ Montreal or are you a CMNT supporter first?  

I hate TFC, but am grateful for Henry, Morgan and what they do for the CMNT.  I love the Caps, but think Bustos is an ass.  Shame others can't make the same distinction.

btw its not MLS mandated and TFC & Montreal have until sept 15 to have everything sorted to play next season.  Care to wager that they have a team next year?

Agree.  Bustos is a dick but these Whitecaps haters will find any excuse to make it sound like the Whitecaps hate Canada and don't want to develop our national team.

The Whitecaps did let and, their press release makes it appear, encourage Bustos to play for Chile. So criticize the individual all you want but the Whitecaps were enablers. God, the apologism for the Whitecaps makes me queasy and I cheer for them.

My sentence structure was unclear. United Soccer Leagues has obliterated its independence. The Whitecaps are taking advantage of this to develop players for Canada. I am pleased by this development.

Ah much clearer. Thanks and yes I agree.

Archived