Calgary back in PDL in 2015

Stuart

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't imagine the Calgary media actually caring about these details. When does the team play and how did they do? That's all they care about.

Yes as I said, right now noone gives a crap. It will be further along when some delay or losing streak or a reporter has a bad day they bring this kind of stuff out to add to the negative coverage.

Publishing an outright lie on your website is simply not acceptable in any business and they have a chance to correct it now before it gets found out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Timeline of Albuquerque Sol's early months before starting in the PDL.  They started in 2014.  Purpose is to show what we will be wanting from Calgary if they start in 2015 for comparison purpsoses, in terms of a timeline.  Out of the 8 teams I chose Albuquerque, one, because I suspect that will be the division Calgary ends up in, and two, because I thought moving into the PDL they did a great job of getting the word out.

In some ways, Calgary already having played some U-23 games THIS year are already ahead of the curve...but if they plan to keep up with Albuquerque, the work should start very soon.  Here's proof.

November - Albuquerque creates a separate facebook page from their Lobos page, and gives some preliminary T-Shirt ideas with the club logo on them. Albuquerque announces May PDL preseason schedule will start May 2014.   They create their logo.

December 5th - Albuquerque is officially joining the league!  Huge press conference.

December 6th - Facebook page was nearing 1000 likes

December 7th - Facebook page was nearing 1500 likes.

December 13th - promoted Sol by having staff members at a pub to watch USMNT game with fans.

(personal note, it was fun to have a convo with Colin Miller in Edmonton after an EFC game...these things really build fan loyalty)

December 14th - Albuquerque owners were at the USL meetings determining the 2014 schedule, making sure it coincided with what they were capable of.

December 19th - facebook page reached 2500 likes.

Around Christmas Albuquerque posted that they had their shirts and other swag ready for shipment in time for Christmas.

December 30 - reminded people when tryouts were and how to register.  They'd been posting about this all month.

December 31 - Albuquerque finished their rock bottom season ticket deal at midnight...they were offering early-bird season tickets for only $69!  They'd been pushing season ticket sales as an xmas gift all month, with multiple tweets and facebook posts.

January - there was some media interviewing the Sol about their tryouts that happened that month.

Early February - Albuquerque was posting about friendlies in June.  Sol Mates supporters group creates a facebook page, which currently has 381 likes.

February - Albuquerque was promoting an already existing supporters groups' Fantasy League (Sol-Mates...clever)  They were also looking for families to host players, as well as selling scarves.

late February - Albuquerque was doing booths at events, and breakfasts to create new fans.

March 6th - Albuquerque was posting about friendlies in June again, trying to create awareness.

So for those waiting for news on this topic...it should come soon, if past history (not just Albuquerque) is any indication.  Very much looking forward to it.

Timeline of Albuquerque Sol's early months before starting in the PDL.  They started in 2014.  Purpose is to show what we will be wanting from Calgary if they start in 2015 for comparison purpsoses, in terms of a timeline.  Out of the 8 teams I chose Albuquerque, one, because I suspect that will be the division Calgary ends up in, and two, because I thought moving into the PDL they did a great job of getting the word out.

In some ways, Calgary already having played some U-23 games THIS year are already ahead of the curve...but if they plan to keep up with Albuquerque, the work should start very soon.  Here's proof.

November - Albuquerque creates a separate facebook page from their Lobos page, and gives some preliminary T-Shirt ideas with the club logo on them. Albuquerque announces May PDL preseason schedule will start May 2014.   They create their logo.

December 5th - Albuquerque is officially joining the league!  Huge press conference.

December 6th - Facebook page was nearing 1000 likes

December 7th - Facebook page was nearing 1500 likes.

December 13th - promoted Sol by having staff members at a pub to watch USMNT game with fans.

(personal note, it was fun to have a convo with Colin Miller in Edmonton after an EFC game...these things really build fan loyalty)

December 14th - Albuquerque owners were at the USL meetings determining the 2014 schedule, making sure it coincided with what they were capable of.

December 19th - facebook page reached 2500 likes.

Around Christmas Albuquerque posted that they had their shirts and other swag ready for shipment in time for Christmas.

December 30 - reminded people when tryouts were and how to register.  They'd been posting about this all month.

December 31 - Albuquerque finished their rock bottom season ticket deal at midnight...they were offering early-bird season tickets for only $69!  They'd been pushing season ticket sales as an xmas gift all month, with multiple tweets and facebook posts.

January - there was some media interviewing the Sol about their tryouts that happened that month.

Early February - Albuquerque was posting about friendlies in June.  Sol Mates supporters group creates a facebook page, which currently has 381 likes.

February - Albuquerque was promoting an already existing supporters groups' Fantasy League (Sol-Mates...clever)  They were also looking for families to host players, as well as selling scarves.

late February - Albuquerque was doing booths at events, and breakfasts to create new fans.

March 6th - Albuquerque was posting about friendlies in June again, trying to create awareness.

So for those waiting for news on this topic...it should come soon, if past history (not just Albuquerque) is any indication.  Very much looking forward to it.

Has anyone heard much of anything about any progress lately?  I am getting less and less hopeful.  Even if the team comes together, it looks like the focus of their marketing will be to the existing club members and families.  I don't really feel like they are trying to create mass appeal.  Maybe it will be worth it for them, but it certainly wouldn't be what we've seen develop in a lot of other cities.

Jason

Has anyone heard much of anything about any progress lately?  I am getting less and less hopeful.  Even if the team comes together, it looks like the focus of their marketing will be to the existing club members and families.  I don't really feel like they are trying to create mass appeal.  Maybe it will be worth it for them, but it certainly wouldn't be what we've seen develop in a lot of other cities.

Jason

Haven't seen a thing on their Facebook page, and not much of substance on Twitter. Pretty sure the club is appealing to the soccer mom crowd. If that is the case then that is disappointing, but not surprising.

• 4 weeks later...

I asked Wheeldon for an update on the Calgary PDL team, here was the response I got

Sean Clarke@sean_clarke737m37 minutes ago

@tommywheeldonjr @CanadaSoccerEN Speaking of organizations helping the future, any word on Calgary Foothills in PDL in 2015? It's been quiet

Tommy Wheeldon Jr@tommywheeldonjr33m33 minutes agoCalgary, Alberta

@sean_clarke7 We are just finalizing the legal paperwork. Expect a formal announcement at the beginning of December.

Sean Clarke@sean_clarke752m52 minutes ago

@tommywheeldonjr Perfect! Will the club encourage supporters groups at matches?

Tommy Wheeldon Jr@tommywheeldonjr9m9 minutes agoCalgary, Alberta

@sean_clarke7 Absolutely. In fact we will coordinate a meeting early in the new year to invite interested supporters.

Thanks Sherm.  This would still put them in line with that timeline I posted, and give them a reasonable amount of time to market.  I openly and honestly told ESG from the beginning that if Calgary came out with a team, geographically I'd have to switch allegiance.  My rally rabbit warrior avatar might finally have to change lol

I have to agree with that. Only thing that can help them would be another 2 PDL team in AB or say Kamloops/Kelowna(620km away). Even that would still be a challenge for the teams budget. You need a minimum of 3teams close enough together in SAME CONFERENCE(Smallest PDL Conference is 5teams Biggest is 8).

Geographically this is still a challenge, right?  

I think Boise, Spokane, Kelowna, Saskatoon...even if all 5 of those teams joined...you'd still see 13 hour trips.  

If they join the division with Victoria, longest trip would be to Eugene, which is a 15.5 hour drive.

If you join the division with Provo, they would have Albuquerque in the same division.  That's a 23 hour drive.  Think Westjet would be interested in sponsoring a pro-am team? lol

Yep, the guys from FOOTHILLS will be attending the USL AGM  Dec. 10th - 14th to get more info on schedules and other things and then they'll set up a meeting with supporters group early in the new year. I'll be there, who else is coming?

While I'm sure this may be exciting for those in Calgary, from an outsiders perspective, I have a really hard time getting excited over this. I've seen what PDL is, and it isn't what we as a country need. I will concede that something is better than nothing, but if that something hinders something better from coming along, then is it a positive?

I just dont want PDL to be all Calgary ever has and I'm scared that when an owner makes PDL work, they will be satisfied and won't be able to justify the extra costs of a real league. With the talk previously of Petrone (sp?) trying to find an NASL owner for Calgary and the progress happening in Edmonton and Ottawa, I guess I just expected more.

9 months later and my feelings are the same.

I agree that Calgary should strive higher, but this is the first even semi-pro soccer in 11 years in Calgary, so it's better than nothing IMO. My understanding is that Calgary is still on the radar for the NASL but until I see a press release I would rather support what we have than scoff because it is not a higher level. 

Yep, the guys from FOOTHILLS will be attending the USL AGM  Dec. 10th - 14th to get more info on schedules and other things and then they'll set up a meeting with supporters group early in the new year. I'll be there, who else is coming?

Depends on the weekend, but I will try to be there.  I'm an out-of towner, but I'm Super excited.  Way less far of a drive than Edmonton as I've said.  That said, I'll support the level.  I just hope that when I higher level DOES come that the support for PDL doesn't go right off the radar.

9 months later and my feelings are the same.

I don't think I've seen a lot of evidence in North America of something smaller hindering something bigger coming in.  Just the opposite, sometimes it facilitates it.

I personally don't get the general distaste of the PDL by Canadian supporters. It all depends on who is running the teams. From what I have heard and seen of Foothills SC, they will play the PDL the right way. Here in K-W we largely played a Canadian roster, with a Canadian coach and ask any of those lads if the experienced helped. This year we will probably have 2-3 players heading the MLS after their seasons with United (Murrell, Chapman, Paunic).

I often see the comparison of a Canadian D3 to the CHL, while the CHL is primarily a Canadian focussed league, it contains a number of American teams. The same works for PDL development but using the larger American fanbase to bolster Canadian teams. There is nothing stopping any Canadian PDL team from playing only Canadians or even only local products. This allows these Canadian kids to play some of the best from the US and around the world (Vedad Ibisevic played in the PDL as well)

Either way, congrats to Calgary Foothills SC and hope to see you in the playoffs :)

Overall, it's a positive development.  I still have concerns about the real plan and focus of this club.  The games this year were almost exclusively marketed to and attended by members of the Foothills club and their families.  Going to a game this year most were wearing their club gear.   It was not an unfriendly atmosphere for a non-club member like myself, but I did kind of feel like the guy at a party where everyone knows everyone and you don't know anyone.

Can they get support from rival clubs in town or general soccer and sports fans not associated with their club?  How hard will they even try?  I know I never saw anyone wearing their Blizzard or other team's colours at games this year.  Maybe their business model is to get 500 people associated with Foothills out to every game and anyone else is gravy?  We'll see but I hope this is a team that all of Calgary can get behind.  

Jason

Archived