Calgary back in PDL in 2015

Stuart

I believe you guys should become the Foot Clan, which is the proper name from TMNT. Honestly though, why not come up with something a bit more antagonistic, like Chelsea's old F-Troop or the Millwall Bushwackers (minus the racism, fascism, and ultra-violence).

Alternatively, how bout you Albertans truly represent yourselves in the name, and call yourselves the Calgary (Foot)Hillbillies. enough of you goddamned inbreds there it's fitting.

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've never been to Pazzer's, all I know is it's a dirty Roughriders bar. Nonetheless, it is in the best location to Hellard. I can meet up prior to a game.

I've been there quite a few times with a buddy who lives nearby. Not a bad place, decent bar food and yes it is a true gopher-choker pub :)

As to the supporters name I'd go with "tar pitters"

I believe you guys should become the Foot Clan, which is the proper name from TMNT. Honestly though, why not come up with something a bit more antagonistic, like Chelsea's old F-Troop or the Millwall Bushwackers (minus the racism, fascism, and ultra-violence).

Alternatively, how bout you Albertans truly represent yourselves in the name, and call yourselves the Calgary (Foot)Hillbillies. enough of you goddamned inbreds there it's fitting.

lol In Calgary, we resort to inbreeding, in Saskatoon there's still farm animals around, so at least there's a choice

Went up to Hellard Field today to check it out. I think the biggest benefit for a spot like that over Foothills track is that there is no track, putting spectators closer to the pitch. The most obvious downside is the football lines, but I'm hearing the turf is a very poor quality as well (from folks who've played on the pitch last summer). Foothills also has more parking, is close to transit, and better bars / restaurants nearby IMO.

Of course I'll take Hellard over no soccer anyday.

While I'm sure this may be exciting for those in Calgary, from an outsiders perspective, I have a really hard time getting excited over this. I've seen what PDL is, and it isn't what we as a country need. I will concede that something is better than nothing, but if that something hinders something better from coming along, then is it a positive?

I just dont want PDL to be all Calgary ever has and I'm scared that when an owner makes PDL work, they will be satisfied and won't be able to justify the extra costs of a real league. With the talk previously of Petrone (sp?) trying to find an NASL owner for Calgary and the progress happening in Edmonton and Ottawa, I guess I just expected more.

....If the franchise is approved, it will be interesting to see where it is slotted. Calgary will represent a long road trip for any of the clubs in the Northwest Division, which are mainly located near the Pacific coast, on the other side of the Rockies. The Heartland Division features teams in the same time zone as Calgary (Real Colorado Foxes) and fellow Canadian teams in Winnipeg and Thunder Bay. But, with most of the team’s located across the American bread basket, in places like Des Moines, St. Louis and Kansas City, Calgary would very much be an outpost team, as well.

The Northwest division is where Calgary was placed the last time around in PDL:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_PDL_Season#Northwest_Division

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_PDL_Season#Northwest_Division

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_PDL_Season#Northwest_Division

Interesting that they will play the FC Edmonton reserves 4 times.  A good partnership there.  The Edmonton reserves need someone to play against, and this will give the Calgary players that stick for 2015 some decent experience moving forwards.  Hopefully they can work something out with Vancouver as well.

Looks like the first meeting of the "Footsoldiers", (or whatever we end up calling ourselves) supporters group will be April 26th at "Pazzers" before the match (If we're playing at Hellard) against FC Edmonton reserves. Bring your green and white scarves!!

LET THE COUNTDOWN BEGIN

http://datecountdown.com/?timer=1&d=4%2f26%2f2014+07%3a00+PM&t=cffc+first+match

That might be interesting...I'm not sure, I'll have to talk to the wife, but I'm actually IN Calgary that day...but it's because I promised to take the wife to the Calgary Comic Expo!  I guess I need more info...but if it means bailing on my wife I might be no go :(  

Looks like the first meeting of the "Footsoldiers", (or whatever we end up calling ourselves) supporters group will be April 26th at "Pazzers" before the match (If we're playing at Hellard) against FC Edmonton reserves. Bring your green and white scarves!!

LET THE COUNTDOWN BEGIN

http://datecountdown.com/?timer=1&d=4%2f26%2f2014+07%3a00+PM&t=cffc+first+match

Hey keep me updated on this, so if there's a chance I can go, I don't miss out :)

Hey keep me updated on this, so if there's a chance I can go, I don't miss out :)

My countdown clock has us playing at 7:00 P.M., but since the game is on a Saturday I'm thinking it might be an afternoon K.O., say 2:00 ?

When are the details of the game being released?  Definitely interested in attending!

Jason

I'm going to the trials this evening at 5:00 so I'll try and find out more from Tommy when and where the match will be.

Spoke to Tommy and it's still up in the air as to when: April 26th for sure and vs. FC Edmonton reserves for sure, but they haven't figured out a time yet.

As for where?: It's either at Shouldice (Hellard or one of the other pitches there) or S.A.I.T. (Loco Lou's for pre-match meet up?) which is one of the most unique pitches in the country and has a fantactic view but the sight lines from the stand are the worst in the country.

Sounds like they are setting up some exhibition matches against the Dino's too.

They should be posting these matches on their web-site when they get everything finalised.

Thanks for the info. I heard we were playing a Whitecaps team in June but it's good to get a date.

Also, the game on the 26th against FC Edmonton will be at Hellard field so Pazzers it is.

Now we just need a K.O. time.

Archived