Calgary back in PDL in 2015

Stuart

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I go away for a while and you get a PDL club. Well done! Perhaps I should disappear again and return to find an NASL club...

I'll try to make the match on the 26th. It will be good to see some of you old muckers again.

I go away for a while and you get a PDL club. Well done! Perhaps I should disappear again and return to find an NASL club...

I'll try to make the match on the 26th. It will be good to see some of you old muckers again.

"It's alive, It's alive".... Cooks, is that really you?

Good to see you back and hope to see you on the 26th!!

Guest ClaytonA

April 26

4pm Pazzers

5pm kickoff

Should be able to make it.  If people aren't into Pazzer's there's also a German restaurant a block east or if we're discreet we could tailgate.

I'd almost prefer Broadmead (grass, no CFL lines) over Hellard depending on attendance, but it is still snowing this week so artificial turf is pretty unavoidable for April games in YYC.

Anyone interested in driving up for the Voyageurs Cup second leg in Edmonton on Wednesday April 30?

If we left at ~3pm, then we should make game time and be back in town by 12:30-1am.

More info from The Calgary Herald:

New U23 franchise to kick o exhibition season
Jeff MacKinnon, Calgary Herald Published: Friday, April 18, 2014

Tommy Wheeldon has spent the past decade developing young players for the Calgary Foothills Soccer Club. His latest project that he believes will take that a step further hits the fi eld next Saturday.

The Foothills Under-23 squad will play an exhibition schedule in the Premier Development League in 2014 before joining the massive circuit o cially in 2015.

The PDL is described as being the third tier on the North American soccer pyramid behind professional loops, Major League Soccer and the United Soccer League, which operates the PDL.

"We wanted to be better prepared for our inaugural season by conducting an exhibition season to get our squad, habits and organizational team refined through 2014," explained Wheeldon, emailing from France where he is part of the technical sta for Canada's Under-17 male team at the Montaigu Mondial tournament.

"Good preparation gives us a better platform to begin our new franchise."

Foothills U23 will host FC Edmonton for their inaugural game April 26 (5 p. m. at Hellard Field at Shouldice Park). They will play a 14-to 15-game season that features mostly home games and a couple of road trips to Edmonton.

Wheeldon, whose professional career included playing with the A-League's Calgary Storm in the early 2000s, is the technical director at Foothills and will be the head coach of the U23 squad. He will be assisted by Leon Hapgood, who will also play, Brendon O'Connell and University of Calgary men's head coach Brian McDonnell.

A final invitational camp was held last weekend and Wheeldon said Thursday they should be able to announce the roster by Easter Monday.

More than 100 prospects showed up at an open tryout in February and 30 were invited back to last week's fi nal look-see, with 22 expected to get jerseys.

The PDL was founded in 1995 and currently has eight Canadian teams among its 56 clubs. The Thunder Bay Chill made it to the 2013 league fi nal but lost to the Austin (Texas) Aztex.

The league targets college level players between the ages of 17 and 23 who are eyeing a career in North American professional ranks. Some PDL teams pay their players, but the Foothills side won't be one of them. The league allows up to eight overage players on each 26-man roster and at least three must be under 18.

The Foothills club's board is going through franchise paperwork this week after passing the fi rst big step previously in getting Soccer Canada's approval.

It's costing about $ 100,000 to get the team up and running according to director Danny Hay, who also said it will take about $ 120,000 to operate each season. He said they've raised most of that initial amount.

The highlight of the 2014 schedule is a match June 8 at Encana Field at Shouldice Park against a Vancouver Whitecaps team that Wheeldon said will be made up of U23 players, some MLS reserves and a few MLS players including possibly Foothills alumni Sam Adakugbe.

"They want to visit Calgary and market their brand, given that Calgary is within their MLS recruitment zone," Wheeldon said.

The MLS has a partnership arrangement with the USL and many of its teams will place reserve players in that league. Some MLS franchises - including the Whitecaps, Montreal Impact, Seattle Sounders and Portland Timbers - operate U23 teams in the PDL as well.

"This (team) is designed to extend the youth system in Calgary, so they have something to aspire to," Hay said.

"Young hockey players can go watch the Flames and the Hitmen but we need someone for young soccer players to watch."

A season pass goes for $ 50 while individual tickets are priced at $ 15.

Call 403-225-9388 or email foothills@telus. net for more information.

© Calgary Herald 2014

Also, here's a schedule of the seasons games:

April 26th, FC Edmonton XI 5:00 HELLARD?? according to Foothills twitter account this game is being switched to ENCANA because of emergency repairs to Hellard.

May 3rd, Foothills Darts Alumni. 8:15 PM Hellard

May 10th, Calgary Dino's Mens (University) Stampeder Field 5:00 P.M.

May 14th, Mount Royal Mens (University), 7:00 P.M. TBA

June 4th, Calgary Dino's Mens U of C

June 8th, Vancouver Whitecaps XI 4.00 P.M. Encana

June 18th, Mount Royal Men TBA

June 28th, FC Edmonton XI 7.00 P.M. Hellard Field

I'm thinking there will be more game added as well.

Yeah I found that article too.  Once again "described as being in the third tier", but otherwise I like it

Talk about living in fairy land, typical towing of the USL BS line, pretending the NASL doesn't exist and D3 USL Pro is more than it is. Thats line was given to the Herald from Foothills who even show a fake "Pyramid" on their website omitting second division NASL. Way to start out running your organization looking like fools! Do they think their fans will be that ignorant? Someone should tell them how bush league it makes them appear.

Does anyone have insight as to who we are going to see suit up for Calgary this weekend?  I think I heard Simon Thomas mentioned under the Canadians M.I.A. thread.  Anyone else?

Jason

Simon Thomas - GK

Hunter Brett - GK

Kamil Zielinski - GK

Jay Wheeldon

Dominic Zator

Massimo Megna

Dean Northover

Tyrin Hutchings

Joe Long

Yoann Promonet

James Gourlay

Kieran Hay

Elijah Adekugbe

Jake Vickers

Vito Polletto 

Dominic Russo

Andrew Hood

Isaak Lawrence

Leighton Johnson

Guest ClaytonA

Head count. Who is going to be at Pazzer's tomorrow at 4:00?  I don't want to be the only one there.

Checking in, if it's just going to be the two of us let's just show up later, say 20 minutes beforehand? and watch the warmups.

(Leery doing this as lurkers or others (didn't see any firm commitment on calgarypuck either) might still show up.

Encana's the west field of the two next to the Bow River from the map off 13th Ave.

Team colours are green and white, if it's a choice wear green from Foothill's website.

The sleet will add some atmosphere, I can bring some craft pop that'll be better than the swill at Pazzers.

Guest ClaytonA

You mean 20 minutes before K.O. and skip Pazzers all together?

Yup, what do you think?

As above, a bit leery about not maintaining the integrity of the original plan.  I'd prefer this though as I'll get a bit more time for weekend chores.

I think I should show up at Pazzers anyway at 4:00 in case , as you say, some lurkers might still show up there. I'm hoping we'll only be there for a quick drink and then pop back over to Encana for the warm ups. Plus I have to buy my season pass today too.

Archived