Just a thought: Buy Edgar with Camilo's transfer fee?

nolando

Let O'Brien and DeMerit go and bring in arguably Canada's best current defensive player, a young, vocal and strong player that could play with the club for years to come. From the player's point-of-view he would get regular starts in a comparable league. VWFC would get a bona fide Canadian and a potential future captain, not to mention a possible compliment to Leveron/Mitchell.

Certainly the transfer fee is doable. The salary might be able to be bought down (with allocation or some other MLS magic pixie dust) to an acceptable level.

Well?

Hard to say this kind of transaction is fantasy talk after watching what TFC just did. Needs some will, of course.

Edgar is free in June and not playing much. I suspect he could be had without much fuss. O'Brien is under contract for 1 more season. If we were to sign a CMNT player, Marcel DeJong would fit better imo. He's also free in June and probably also available. He's played like **** the last few times I've seen him, but we need fullbacks. Now if you were to convert Edgar into a full time RB, I'd be more interested. He's looked pretty good there from what I've seen.

Edgar is free in June and not playing much. I suspect he could be had without much fuss. O'Brien is under contract for 1 more season. If we were to sign a CMNT player, Marcel DeJong would fit better imo. He's also free in June and probably also available. He's played like **** the last few times I've seen him, but we need fullbacks. Now if you were to convert Edgar into a full time RB, I'd be more interested. He's looked pretty good there from what I've seen.

I think DeJong would do well in MLS but his injury history would scare me especially in a physical league like MLS (though the Bundesliga is also fairly physical).

Bleh, agree with the posts above. Not at the salary he wants and the 'caps have bigger holes to fill like attacking midfielder and right back and attacking midfielder and possibly someone who could attack from the midfield. A decent striker now to. Really, with Leveron and Mitchell they are pretty set at center back for the next few years.

Bleh, agree with the posts above. Not at the salary he wants and the 'caps have bigger holes to fill like attacking midfielder and right back and attacking midfielder and possibly someone who could attack from the midfield. A decent striker now to. Really, with Leveron and Mitchell they are pretty set at center back for the next few years.

Leveron and Mitchell that good?

I thought the manager at Burnley had him playing in the midfield and was quite effective. In MLS, versatility is a huge attribute.

Isn't that true. Look at Harvey who could only play half of one position, and not even that well. With Edgar you'd have at least three serviceable positions.

It was just a thought, but not a very good one.

Right now, I rate Demerit, AOB and Leveron all ahead of Edgar. Why would you pay so much salary for a downgrade. CB is not a position of concern. Plus with Koffie and NRC, the CDM position is covered too. Yes, there is a hole at RB, but I don't think Edgar is an everyday player at that position.

It was just a thought, but not a very good one.

Right now, I rate Demerit, AOB and Leveron all ahead of Edgar. Why would you pay so much salary for a downgrade. CB is not a position of concern. Plus with Koffie and NRC, the CDM position is covered too. Yes, there is a hole at RB, but I don't think Edgar is an everyday player at that position.

Fair enough.

I don't think they could afford Edgar or much else if what Jason De Vos said is true. Sucks to be us.

"Virtually impossible for Vancouver to replace Camilo with the money they receive for him. (And I hear it might be less than seven figures.)"

The caps have ~$2M (~2.5M+ is the Camilo transfer fee rumours are truue) in cap space and 2 unused DP spots. Not sure what Jason deVos is getting at there, the caps can spend as much as they want on anybody at the moment and still have lots of roster flexibility.

The caps have ~$2M (~2.5M+ is the Camilo transfer fee rumours are truue) in cap space and 2 unused DP spots. Not sure what Jason deVos is getting at there, the caps can spend as much as they want on anybody at the moment and still have lots of roster flexibility.

I think what De Vos is getting at is the chances of replacing all of Camilo's goals with one siging would be hard if not impossible. As for replacing Camilo its gonna have to b committee, whether its bringing another striker or, having Mattocks, Miller, Manneh, Salgado and Clarke split the load, and hope Teibert's numbes increase further as well. Add in Daigo's replacement and maybe we can cover Camilo's missing presence, as well as minimizing it by having a healthier and more consistent back end than last year.

I think what De Vos is getting at is the chances of replacing all of Camilo's goals with one siging would be hard if not impossible.

Exactly, he's not talking about the economics of it. It's not impossible, but not likely either.

And paying a transfer fee -- paying, in MLS, more than $150K salary! -- for David Edgar would be full Mo Johnston 2007-09. Do it. I dare you.

I think what De Vos is getting at is the chances of replacing all of Camilo's goals with one siging would be hard if not impossible. As for replacing Camilo its gonna have to b committee, whether its bringing another striker or, having Mattocks, Miller, Manneh, Salgado and Clarke split the load, and hope Teibert's numbes increase further as well. Add in Daigo's replacement and maybe we can cover Camilo's missing presence, as well as minimizing it by having a healthier and more consistent back end than last year.

For the Caps this would be the healthier approach rather than wager your entire season on hoping that one guy can produce MLS Golden Boot winning numbers. As for bringing Edgar to MLS, I think he'd quickly get accustomed to the league and would become a defensive general. Why not bring him in as a Dmid?

I think where it will really hurt is in the set plays around the box. Camilo was lethal on free kicks. But you know there is a certain left footed player who seems to have a knack for putting in nice crosses. Here is hoping Russell is doing double duty on the free kick practice field for the last month!

Archived