Rennie out...Yallop in?

nolando

No.

I think unless someone we cannot refuse becomes attainable then we should stick with Rennie and see how a 3rd year under him goes

I mostly hear fans and pundits alike talk of a lack and need for more creativity in midfield and how we miss a player like DC, but then I hear the same people mention long ball Yallop, and I don't get it.

If people think the creativity will improve it will be vastly disappointing

I hope not. Seriously I don't think Yallop is any better and his record isn't that good in the modern era of MLS (2007+ or do we just say "TFC+"). When you have one player get 27 goals and 3 others near double digits you can do very well. In years where they haven't scored at will they look very ordinary. Yallop is a far way from the the top level of MLS coaching.

But why fire Rennie in the first place? Everyone rightly expected a better year with him in charge for 2012 as it would be hard to see how you could do worse than our 2011 season. After that first big jump up the standings it gets a lot harder to maintain and improve. He has got 5 more points, more wins, more road wins, beat teams that the Caps never have in their first 2 seasons. We are getting better.

They style of play at home games is very entertaining and successful. We have scored more goals as a team but given up more than last year. There in lies the truth. With all the injuries to our centre backs we have allowed too many.

He is a young coach still learning his trade in a salary capped league. We are improving as a team. We have some gaps to fill but we are better than we were in 2012.

I say give him a third year to see if he can improve us over the 50 point plateau and back into the playoffs.

For clarity - it seems official. Well, the first half:

Marc Weber

I can confirm that Martin Rennie is out as coach but not that Frank Yallop will be his replacement, as obvious as it seems. @aftncanada on Twitter says Yallop deal is done. More when I know more.

Like · · Share · 27 minutes ago ·

I'd give Rennie another year, but if reports are true, then that ain't going to happen. He never quite figured out the midfield, though he indeed tried every combo under the sun. Things worked best when Miller was in the line-up because he'd come back for the ball and create space, make things happen. Without him, the front line was too flat, and as a result too easy to defend. Kobayashi started to kick it up a notch, playing a similar role as Miller had been playing, but Kobayashi seems a bit soft, maybe a bit old.

And yeah, they got nailed over and again at CB, and that killed them in the long run. Having Demerit back made a huge difference. They started playing much better when he got back, but they couldn't get that last win.

Yallop would not be an improvement. Carl Robinson? Maybe. But if Rennie was a young coach finding his way, what about Robinson? And do we really want somebody who played for TFC running our team? (Kidding, just kidding. We cannot blame him for TFC.)

Hopefully Weber's source is wrong. That has happened several times on other "scoops" he got. If not then I hope it is Robinson and not Yallop. I don't see how bringing in Yallop would be an improvement over keeping Rennie. Robinson has had a lot of players single him out for their development and improvements.

There are a lot of negative connotations around Yallop which I assume go back to our horrible 2006 qualifying campaign. But if you look at his career as a club manager, he's done more than anybody to further Canadians in MLS. I'm very curious to see what he does now that he's at a Canadian team? Are we going to see DeRo, Jakovic, and maybe Porter all come over in one of the various dispersal drafts? Are we going to see Nakajima-Farran & Klukowski? Will he draft Richey & Pridham? Or will he stick to the academy? Farmer, Bustos, & Froese all signed? Should be an interesting off season from a Voyageur perspective.

I do think Rennie is likely going to prove to be the better manager. Though I'm not sure he represented the interests of the ownership. Kerfoot has been trying for years and millions of dollars to develop local players. It's hard for a coach like Rennie to buy into this. But it's certainly an ambition I support 100% and don't mind dropping a few points in the table to see the local kids get a chance.

There are a lot of negative connotations around Yallop which I assume go back to our horrible 2006 qualifying campaign. But if you look at his career as a club manager, he's done more than anybody to further Canadians in MLS. I'm very curious to see what he does now that he's at a Canadian team? Are we going to see DeRo, Jakovic, and maybe Porter all come over in one of the various dispersal drafts? Are we going to see Nakajima-Farran & Klukowski? Will he draft Richey & Pridham? Or will he stick to the academy? Farmer, Bustos, & Froese all signed? Should be an interesting off season from a Voyageur perspective.

I do think Rennie is likely going to prove to be the better manager. Though I'm not sure he represented the interests of the ownership. Kerfoot has been trying for years and millions of dollars to develop local players. It's hard for a coach like Rennie to buy into this. But it's certainly an ambition I support 100% and don't mind dropping a few points in the table to see the local kids get a chance.

You can never drop points in MLS for any reason, because you never know at the end of that season, that point or 2 might be the difference whether you make the playoffs or not. Just look how tight the playoff race (and Supporter's Shield!) was this season.

Guest ClaytonA

^ +1 The end of season tournament will have more notoreity in the press because it's more easily understood by Canadian sports aficionados, but Voyageurs Cup, CCL success, Supporters Shield, and then MLS Cup even though the league doesn't play a balanced schedule home and away (the league isn't fair).

Other than results, play an entertaining style and use the academy. At the start of the year out in Vancouver we heard about how Caleb Porter was setting a philosophy for the entire club and their youth teams, everyone was coherently focussing on a short pass possession focussed style of play. Meanwhile we draft more track stars, although Kekuta looks good, not players with vision and technical skill and brought Hertzog and Heineman in pushing Clarke to Germany, Fisk and Alderson to Charleston. The Fresenga, Orgill, and even I suppose Lensky failure at training camp spoke volumes. If you were a former Railhawk or one of his guys like Jun Marques Davidson (who isn't terrible, but still a role player who should be a sub like Watson), the you were going to get more than just extra chances.

I saw someone mention bringing in a more experienced assistant to help Rennie on AFTN comments. I think this would have been a great approach, a middle path; give him another year, but send the message and make him use more resources to help him grow as a coach.

Much more important news than coaching would be the announcement of a USL Pro reserve team playing at UBC and an integrated (ie consistent and coherent) path for the club to grow players in the academy and get them in the first team. Like RSL, in the macro picture Vancouver is a smaller market major league sports city in North America. As MLS grows we will have even more trouble competing with the NYCFC, NYRBs, and LA's of the league that are willing to spend big.

Now confirmed on TSN.ca that Rennie has been sacked. They are looking for his replacement. Yallop, most certainly, will be in the mix. Not convinced he is the right guy, but I am pretty sure Lenarduzzi wants him. Big question: If Lenarduzzi hires Yallop and Yallop poops the bed, will everybody now realize that the Duze is part of the problem here?

Now confirmed on TSN.ca that Rennie has been sacked. They are looking for his replacement. Yallop, most certainly, will be in the mix. Not convinced he is the right guy, but I am pretty sure Lenarduzzi wants him. Big question: If Lenarduzzi hires Yallop and Yallop poops the bed, will everybody now realize that the Duze is part of the problem here?

Yeah agreed, The Duze has to go sooner rather than later.

#FireTheDuze

How much decision making power for on the field stuff does Lenarduzzi have? Furthermore, how much say does he have on players, etc?

I honestly don't know, I have looked into and never found a definitive answer. Surely he has a major role still in the club, what exactly he does is beyond me.

I think his future job should be working as Valentine's sidekick. al la sideshow bob, pies in the face, walking on rakes etc.

How much decision making power for on the field stuff does Lenarduzzi have? Furthermore, how much say does he have on players, etc?

Supposedly they have a committee with 5 people. 2 owners, 2 accountant types and Duze. Apparently they reached a "consensus" but no details.

Given that you can't fire the owners and accountants would have little input as to coach quality it does make you wonder how much weight Bobaduzzi's opinion carries. He is the only one with experience as player, coach, etc. That and there are 2 other owners.

Not making the playoffs seems to be the death knell for MLS coaches.

This post provides an interesting insight into the firing of Rennie. Curious to see what Whitecaps fans think of this justification from Lenarduzzi.

A bit bogus. Here is my translation: Make the MLS playoffs, win the V's Cup and use the residency players more but if you do #1 you get a pass on all the others :)

The first few years in MLS you get high draft picks so use them. After that you get lower picks. That is when the academy comes in and being founded in 2005 this is right about the time that I'd expect players to start filling in the 20-30 spots.

I'm glad they want to see players they've developed make the jump but some have chosen university and we have to wait 4 years to get them back. There is no point in throwing them in the deep end. It can seem to be an agonizingly slow process at times but no sense rushing them and burning them out.

One problem I see is that our best players seem to be forwards which we have quite a few. The more adaptable the players are to different positions the better their chances of seeing field time. It is quite normal for real good players to get loaned out so I don't see a problem with Clarke in Germany. In north america there isn't an equivalent to Bundestliga 2. NASL/USL are well below that level and I think he is above it. Next year Miller is only signed for the first half of the season so an opening is there for a forward, Lee has retired so there is an opening for a right back. Other positions are open as well. We'll have to see who steps up and claims them. Hopefully a residency player or two will step it up.

if you don't play the kids, you're fired. if you don't make the playoffs, you're fired.

one helluva working conditions

Yet somehow Athletic Bilboa and CD Guadalajara have managed to stick to their founding principles and still attract great managers. FTR, it's "*don't* play the kids and still miss the playoffs and champions league and then you're fired." Not sure I disagree with any of that.

Yet somehow Athletic Bilboa and CD Guadalajara have managed to stick to their founding principals and still attract great managers. FTR, it's "*don't* play the kids and still miss the playoffs and champions league and then you're fired." Not sure I disagree with any of that.

Exactly. Show me a managerial appointment these days that doesn't come with conditions.

People have some old-school romantic ideas about how most clubs operate. You don't just toss some manager the keys and let him do whatever he wants.

Archived