Olivier Occean suspended 6 matches

jonovision

It's remarkable how, despite the fact that I never announced this information, it's now become public knowledge. Ah, the Internet age.

Anyway, I'm still in Toronto, and will likely be here long enough to suffer through yet another TFC season.

It was the FB event page I think that did it.

I figured the same thing (i.e. "official matches" = only Gold Cup, WCQ), but as I said, a CSA official told me directly that the friendlies count, so long as they are sanctioned international "A" matches. I asked if this was the information they'd been given by FIFA, the CSA official said yes.

Fair enough - it seems odd that the friendlies count but I'll happily take it because that means he'll hopefully be available for selection during the Gold Cup.

Though I now remember Jamie had a whole thread in here about my exceedingly-premature "going away" party, so I suppose it is kinda out there now. But no, the folks in B.C. won't be regularly subjected to my presence for a little while yet.

Meh... that was a weird night.

We'll just have another one.

I really think the CSA official is wrong on this one. Remember Wayne Rooney had to sit out the first three matches of the EUROs last year and it was due to his red in the last game of qualification.

I actually think you're right ... they must mean non-friendlies.

Does anyone else see the irony in the fact that the 8-1 game in Honduras is definitely considered a "competitive" match.

UEFA doesn't have jurisdiction on friendlies. FIFA does. Rooney's ban was handed by UEFA, not FIFA. That's why UEFA can't suspend Rooney for friendlies, but they can for Euro matches. But since Occean did it in a match where FIFA has jurisdiction, FIFA decides the ruling.

I'm just wondering one thing, are there comparable suspensions? (Aside from THAT 4 game suspension)

Kurtis Larson provides a few more relevant details:

http://blogs.canoe.ca/reds/sports/olivier-occean-banned-canadian-forward-allegedly-acted-up-after-leaving-the-pitch/

Among other things:

Occean allegedly kicked a FIFA scoring table before entering the tunnel, where he verbally abused more FIFA and Canadian Soccer Association officials as he made his way to the dressing room.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/02/12/csa-friendly-games-wont-count-occean-suspension

I mean, at this point, what am I supposed to think about the CSA ... that they are, in fact, brain dead? How could they possibly not understand what was going on?!

way to build confidence in you, CSA. dumbass.

And OO? Throwing a hissy fit and getting slapped with massive suspension. Good job, moron. You'd think a veteran player would know better.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/02/12/csa-friendly-games-wont-count-occean-suspension

I mean, at this point, what am I supposed to think about the CSA ... that they are, in fact, brain dead? How could they possibly not understand what was going on?!

Pathetic. How can our National Organizing Body not be aware of that kind of thing? How out of touch with the soccer world are CSA employees?

Pathetic. How can our National Organizing Body not be aware of that kind of thing? How out of touch with the soccer world are CSA employees?

I think they were confused because of the Sinclair suspension (in which friendlies counted). The problem of course being that since there is no WCQ for the CanWNT (because we are host), and no women's "Gold Cup", she would miss games in 2015 which would have been ridiculous.

Really bad media relations from the CSA on this one. *facepalm*

way to build confidence in you, CSA. dumbass.

And OO? Throwing a hissy fit and getting slapped with massive suspension. Good job, moron. You'd think a veteran player would know better.

Morons all around. FIFA, Occean and the CSA. Occean isn't deserving of a 6 game suspension but that whole sequence was retarded. What was he so upset about? He deserved a yellow and would have been suspended anyway... moron. 6 games? Ridiculous. The CSA? Ridiculously incompetent morons.

Morons all around. FIFA, Occean and the CSA. Occean isn't deserving of a 6 game suspension but that whole sequence was retarded. What was he so upset about? He deserved a yellow and would have been suspended anyway... moron. 6 games? Ridiculous. The CSA? Ridiculously incompetent morons.

+1

• 2 weeks later...

This is bogus. Maybe if the CSA carried more clout than he'd only get 3 games like Rooney during the ECQ over a year ago. OO is a great player who can be great benefit to the young players who watch him play. He's a work horse; that's why he gets at least some playing time in the Bundesliga. He's never made his name by scoring, it's by running everything down. That type of work ethic is invaluable. He'll be missed during the Gold Cup.

Archived