Olivier Occean suspended 6 matches

jonovision

FIFA really loves to $%#@ us eh? SIX MATCHES?! It shouldn't have even been a red! Well, I guess that could be the end of Occean's competitive MNT career.

If I read the summary correctly, the suspension was for abuse of officials, in which case unless we know what was said it's tough to judge. Not that it should make a huge difference for a guy that was probably leaving the national team scene anyway.

If I read the summary correctly, the suspension was for abuse of officials, in which case unless we know what was said it's tough to judge. Not that it should make a huge difference for a guy that was probably leaving the national team scene anyway.

FIFA did make it clear that if you're going to abuse people it should be on racist terms, so if Occean didn't adhere to that there's nothing we can do really I guess.

I'm of two minds about this. The initial "**** he's a Bundesliga striker, and we could USE a Bundesliga striker"; which was followed very shortly by "He may be a Bundesliga striker but, he did leave the team due to a mysterious injury before a very important match (@ Panama), did come across at thoroughly disinterested throughout WCQ; and, did an interview where he blamed only the outgoing coach for Canada's failure to advance in WCQ's."

I, personally, really don't want our upcoming generation tainted by a player who went anonymous on his country when it was most important and then shirked all responsibility and passed the buck when it went pear shaped.

Well how do I feel? Shocked? Sadden? Mad, at who OO or FIFA? ......not sure maybe I feel Indifferent a little bit. I think we should look at the current failure of WCQ a new Renaissance for our CNT. Drop some dead weight, and make the youngsters play B-squads of Jamaica, T&T, El Salvador, Honduras, etc. I am all for it for them to play abroad for now if it means getting some playing time for our young players.

Assuming this becomes final, would he have to be "on the bench but not playing" for the suspension to count?

If not, then he would miss this upcoming Gold Cup and possibly some games from the next one (depending on our result in July). I think this is harsh overall because it probably should have been a yellow to begin with.

Assuming this becomes final, would he have to be "on the bench but not playing" for the suspension to count?

If not, then he would miss this upcoming Gold Cup and possibly some games from the next one (depending on our result). I think this is harsh overall because it probably should have been a yellow to begin with.

No he wouldn't. ie the initial one game suspension where he just went back to Germany. When suspended you aren't even allowed on the bench.

I was just told by the CSA that the two friendlies Canada played in January count towards this suspension. So in addition to the final qualifier in Honduras, Occean has already "served" half of the suspension. The game against Japan in March will be #4 -- and if, as has been rumoured, another friendly is booked, that'll be #5.

Either way, it appears Occean's suspension will have expired by the time Canada's finished in the Gold Cup group stage, whether he's on the roster or not.

All of that being said, considering the team is looking towards the future, and we now know that he'd been ineligible for at least one game (and possibly two), the chances of him being on the Gold Cup roster just got a lot slimmer.

But if they do play another friendly in March, one would assume that they'd have another prep friendly right before the Gold Cup, which would make 6 games. I'm not sure if OO should be included in the GC squad, but my point is that he may not have to miss any GC matches, if friendlies count toward his suspension.

That sounds strange to me. I would have thought because the suspension came from an official competitive match (ie. WCQ/Gold Cup, etc.), he would have to serve the suspension in official competitive fixtures - meaning missing friendlies wouldn't count toward his suspension.

I figured the same thing (i.e. "official matches" = only Gold Cup, WCQ), but as I said, a CSA official told me directly that the friendlies count, so long as they are sanctioned international "A" matches. I asked if this was the information they'd been given by FIFA, the CSA official said yes.

Ok, thanks squizz. Your location still says Toronto. Have you moved out to Vancouver yet?

Do we have any video of the incident? as far as I remember it looked like a bogus RC at the time but I've never seen a replay.

At about the 1:40 mark. Keeper had flipped the ball away Occean came in after the fact and gave a shove. As far as I am concerned, the only debate is why the Cuba defender who pushed occean down didn't get one too.

Archived