Montreal Seeded First for Voyageurs Cup

PTS Won Lost Tie GF GA +/-

5 Vancouver Whitecaps 42 11 13 9 35 41 -6

7 Montreal Impact 42 12 15 6 45 50 -5

So tied on points, it goes to Plus Minus as the tie breaker showing Montreal as leader in combined league standings.

Canada’s three MLS clubs will be ranked first, second and third based on the league’s 2012 regular-season standings. http://www.canadasoccer.com/association-announces-dates-for-2013-amway-canadian-championship-p152085

Can Vancouver defeat RSL on the weekend, what will Montreal do in last game versus New England...What will Mariner do to prepare his team to defeat Vancouver next year if the standings stay static ?

Will it be a Mini-England versus Scotland ?

This is all that it says

Taken form the CSA webpage:

http://www.canadasoccer.com/amway-canadian-championship-2012-p150261&t=championship_article

SEEDING THE TEAMS

At the moment, the four teams participating in the Amway Canadian Championship come from Major League Soccer (first division) and the North American Soccer League (second division). To determine the semi-final match-ups, teams are seeded based on standings in their respective leagues. As such, it will be the 2012 MLS and NASL standings that determine the seeding for the 2013 Amway Canadian Championship (three MLS teams followed by one NASL team). For the 2012 Championship, the seeding was based on the 2011 standings, with Toronto FC first (MLS), Vancouver Whitecaps FC second (MLS), FC Edmonton third (NASL) and Impact Montréal fourth (until last year, NASL).

When more Canadian teams join a second division (ie, NASL), then a Championship Qualifying round will be played to determine the fourth team in the Amway Canadian Championship. The qualified team from second division (NASL) would still be seeded behind the three automatic berths from first division (MLS).

--------------------------

Given that Mtl has more wins, Goals, GF, and a better Goal Diff, i would think that that the seeding would stand at:

Mtl,

Van,

Tor,

Edm

EDIT: TAKE NOTE OF THE BIT REGARDING "WHEN MORE CND TEAMS JOIN THE NASL". That's new. I have never seen that before.

The final match day will decide next year's Vs Cup seeding. Why is everyone drawing on the current standings? IF, and it's a big if, things remain the same, then Montreal gets top seed. If the Caps get a draw and Montreal bombs out at home, then I think Montreal still gets the top seed. Only if the Caps win and Montreal draws or loses does Vancouver take top seed.

The final match day will decide next year's Vs Cup seeding......... If the Caps get a draw and Montreal bombs out at home, then I think Montreal still gets the top seed. Only if the Caps win and Montreal draws or loses does Vancouver take top seed.

No you are wrong. If Caps draw they will gave 43 points and Montreal bombs out they (Montreal) will remain at 42 points thus Caps are top seed.

As I wrote previously Caps needs to get more points than Montreal.

Montreal win = Montreal top seed

Montreal draw/Vancouver win = Van top seed

Montreal draw/Vancouver draw= Montreal top seed unless Vancouver scores 10 or 11 goals more than Montreal (first tiebreaker MLS)

Montreal loss/ Vancouver win or draw Vancouver = top seed

This whole seeding thing becomes much less interesting when you realize that the prize the winner is playing for is not to play TFC. Avoid the intimidating opponent that is Toronto.

Way to spin it so it sounds super lame Sam lol. This decides which MLS team gets to visit Alberta next year. I'm sure there are probably more Albertans that are Whitecap fans than are Impact fans so I'm sure there are V's in Calgary and Red Deer who care (assuming all in Edmonton will support their team).

This whole seeding thing becomes much less interesting when you realize that the prize the winner is playing for is not to play TFC. Avoid the intimidating opponent that is Toronto.

Actually I think the main advantage is to have the return leg at home in your own stadium for the ACC final, a big advantage in my opinion..

Way to spin it so it sounds super lame Sam lol. This decides which MLS team gets to visit Alberta next year. I'm sure there are probably more Albertans that are Whitecap fans than are Impact fans so I'm sure there are V's in Calgary and Red Deer who care (assuming all in Edmonton will support their team).

What you may be unaware of is the disconnect between CSA, ASA and EDSA, that ment that last years game in the Commie bowl was poorly attended due to potential spectators having to fufil their own Indoor Schedule games, or having to take the kids to their games.

Result was paultry 2500 turn out.

You'd think they would suspend for one night to help boost the Profile of the game? Well not out here they don't.

Also if TSN broacast boys were not so pampered then Clarke could have the lines 'cleaned' off for the game. There is no reason why an OB cannot be set up at this venue. CBC do it every week during Edmontons Regular season.

Be a lock in for a full house down there;)

No disrespect to either Montreal or Vancouver, but Montreal have to be annoyed that they have a better league record but don't make the play offs. Also, Is it so hard for the MLS to fit only another THREE games into the season to balance it?

Take enough time off the play a meaningless Allstar game.

Without a fully interlocking schedule it is a moot point. Columbus has 49 points and are 7 ahead of both. Montreal has had a great first year and full credit to them for the points they've got.

I think the MLS is trying to go the NFL route. Cap the league at 20 teams or have 2 leagues with 15-20 each? Even if they had 15 teams in each conference they would get another 11 teams so mulitiply that by 35-40 million each for franchise fees and that is a hell of a lot more that adding one more team. To do that they had to go to a non-interlocking schedule first which they have now accomplished.

Without a fully interlocking schedule it is a moot point. Columbus has 49 points and are 7 ahead of both. Montreal has had a great first year and full credit to them for the points they've got.

I think the MLS is trying to go the NFL route. Cap the league at 20 teams or have 2 leagues with 15-20 each? Even if they had 15 teams in each conference they would get another 11 teams so mulitiply that by 35-40 million each for franchise fees and that is a hell of a lot more that adding one more team. To do that they had to go to a non-interlocking schedule first which they have now accomplished.

Oh good I'm not alone then. :D

Its the Interlock that gets me most. Just throws thows the whole thing askew; as you pointed out with Columbus. As for the home goal average / road goal average!? Still, got to have something meaningless fro the stato's to argue over I suppose.

I agree with a 15 team 2 conference senario that would give a 'regular' 30 game season. Nothing to stop the top half of Confrences that playing off an inter-conferential post season. MLS Champions league anyone?;)

All that above said I think I can now sit back and enjoy the Playoff's. These are understandable and weighted in favour of the "better teams".

When you think about it, they do have a Play off system in Europe.

You could argue that the Champions League is a protracted version of one containing Uefa's divisonal champions.

Oh good I'm not alone then. :D

When you think about it, they do have a Play off system in Europe.

You could argue that the Champions League is a protracted version of one containing Uefa's divisonal champions.

...and of course in England Playoff are used to promote teams the to higher divisions (for those who don't get automatic promotion)

MOT

Which potentially makes the whole of the championship active until the last kick of the last minute of the last regular season game.

Top six pushing for regular top two promotions. next six down looking to get into the 4 play of spots. Where as any 3 of the bottom 6 can get dumped. Thus in a League of 22 only about 4 clubs are ever in neutral spots at anyone time. two wins (or loses) in the Xmas period could ptentially put them into a promotion challenge or a Relegation fight.

Not for the faint hearted the Championship!

So Edmonton OR Ottawa make it to the ACC in 2014?

Wrong topic. We are talking about the VOYAGEURS CUP in this thread.

Actually I think the main advantage is to have the return leg at home in your own stadium for the ACC final...

Hey, corporate lackey, are you a fan of "BMO Montreal" or the "Montreal Impact".

A team or a tournament is not the sponsor.

;)

Archived