No suspensions.... yet

In my opinion, this is about the best we could hope for - after the initial screw job, of course. FIFA announced they were going to investigate, and to be honest, the statements we made at the end of the game (whether said in the heat of the moment or not, whether accurate or not) are the type of comments that generally result in sanctions against players.

This (delayed) outcome will at least ensure we are at full strength for the bronze medal match. I wouldn't be surprised to see a game ban come down after the match, otherwise FIFA would be admitting that something actually was fishy (...even though they dropped the ref from both subsequent games...) but at least this doesn't add insult to injury.

Hopefully the girls can focus and take out their frustration in the bronze medal match.

There is an underlying tacit recognition by FIFA that if they made the decision they want to make before the bronze medal match there would have been a ****-storm in the press; and would not be treated like royalty when they come for the World Cup Canadians paid for. I think CSA should take this as a sign that they do not need to be push-overs. Obviously be 'respectful' but don't just take the crap because FIFA delayed the decision a few days.

Personally, I think that players should have the right to criticize referees after games. This gag rule is present in nearly all sports. It is such BS. How does any league office or governing body have the right to suppress players so brutally? It is a violation of freedom of speech. It is only done to protect marketing rights, and image etc...

When I saw that fifa, in all of their fascist wisdom, was actually now thinking about taking this travesty one step further and punishing our poor players, I was livid. Talk about rubbing salt into open wounds.... Not only can fifa and the olympic organizing committee not recognize the incompetence/corruption of the norwegian referee, now they have to kick us while we are down and subject the team to this farcical inquiry... They should be investigating the ref pederson and abbey wambitch, not our girls.

fifa's enforcement of the no criticism rule only serves to protect and ensure future incompetent refing in the future.

Agree with all of the above. Especially Joe's comment about Post match Comments.

Sadly Cinsy comment about the Ref have decide the winner befor ethe game start will get her a ban. the Length of that ban will be interesting however.

If its fairly short; say, 2 games its implies that FIFA realise that using an inexperienced ref was a goof-up, but She's geting banned on a disrepute charge. ergo, don't call the ref a cheat, without legally binding evidence.

If she's hit with significantly more than that then FIFA is been VERY pissy and flexing the old, "shut up or else well give you serious grief" muscle.

Think it will be the former to be Honest, as Elmato noted, they want 2015 to go off smoothly. Imagine how they will sell Canada 2015 if Sinclair takes her ball home due to a draconian censor.

Holy conspiracy Batman! I'm watching the BBC replay of Canada/France when the commentator touches upon the fact that earlier in the tournament our favourite Norwegian referee allowed 12 Cameroon players on the field at the start of the second half vs New Zealand (Group E, July 31) As an aside, the Canada/France commentator got the story slightly mixed up but I have posted the correct version.

So, I goes back to see this transgression and yes there were 12 and a Cameroon player was honest enough to get off the field after not too long even though our favourite ref didn't seemingly notice. Apparently that is one of the last things a ref is supposed to check before blowing the whistle. None of the above surprises me.

What did take me aback was the BBC commentator's quote "I think all I can say with a certain degree of security now is that our referee from Norway tonight Christina Pedersen, such as the way of FIFA who are in charge of this, will not be the final match referee now having made that mistake even though it doesn't seem that consequential in the scheme of things, FIFA will have spotted that and it's a black mark against her name"

He was right, FIFA didn't give her a final but I guess a screwup like that is good enough for FIFA to reward you with a semifinal. God bless Septic Bladder!

New Zealand/Cameroon You'll need the magic elixir to remove the location restriction if you want to see this. Really don't need to see the video however, the quote is verbatim.

Unfortunately after watching the vid of Tancredi stopming on the Americans head, she will be disciplined by FIFA after the Olympics.

It would be something if they punished Canadian players for speaking against the referee, then punished a Canadian player for something that was ignored by the referee (thus showing they think the ref can't be trusted).

It would be something if they punished Canadian players for speaking against the referee, then punished a Canadian player for something that was ignored by the referee (thus showing they think the ref can't be trusted).

I understand what your saying, however, it's very flagrant and FIFA has been known to deal with these types of fouls in a tough manor. Game Suspensions.

I understand what your saying, however, it's very flagrant and FIFA has been known to deal with these types of fouls in a tough manor. Game Suspensions.

I am understanding that Grant Wahl has reported tht FIFA is not going to take any action. http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-fourth-place-medal/canada-melissa-tancredi-got-away-stomping-carli-lloyd-173222381--oly.html

I think the non-action speaks volumes...

Sinclair stands by comments on Norwegian ref

CHRIS STEVENSON, QMI Agency

LONDON - Canada's Christine Sinclair doesn't back down on the pitch.

So you wouldn't expect her to back down off it.

The captain of Canada's bronze-medal winning soccer team wasn't stepping back from her comments critical of the officiating after Monday night's controversial semifinal against the United States.

"It's an emotional game. We just lost a chance for a gold medal and for some of us that was a childhood dream, gone. We felt it was a little unfair at times," she said Friday.

"The Americans got the calls that game. It's a funny sport. The next time we play them, we might get those calls. It's frustrating that it happened in the Olympics in a game of that magnitude."

FIFA is "analyzing" what went on after the game, but no action was taken before Canada played France in the bronze medal game. When told people thought she would be suspended, Sinclair said she wasn't worried.

"Some of the things that were said to the media, if they were going to suspend myself or Melissa Tancredi, then they would have had to suspend our whole team, you know? We were frustrated and mad. We refused to just be okay with it. We wanted to say things because that's how we felt."

Did she still stand by her comments?

"Yeah."

Teammate Diana Matheson, who scored the winner against France Thursday, said Sinclair's speaking up is another example of how she is continuing to grow into her leadership role.

"She's always been the kind of lead by example player. The last year or two she has grown even more into the role and she's become a bit more vocal in the locker room and reaching out to players and connecting more. She's done a fantastic job," said Matheson. "On the field, she's been the best player in the world the last couple of years and it's fantastic that she got a showcase in front of everybody here.

"She is quiet a lot of times. She's got a pretty sarcastic, wry sense of humour she gets from the rest of her family. She's pretty quick with a comment. I think she has to censor herself sometimes for the cameras."

I wish people would look at the evidence rather than the propoganda regarding the so-called "stomp."

If you were to watch the play in full speed rather than slow motion, you'd see a few things that happen all at once.

First, this is a free kick into the box. Tancredi is the target.

Second, Lloyd is her marker and loses Tank. She then launches herself horizontally back at Tank to try to interfere with the play (not dirty, just desperate). This is how she ends up on the ground. At the same time, Tank goes up and heads the ball. She lands off-balance, has to turn 180 degrees, AND is tripping over Lloyd on the ground. Look at Tancredi's arms - she's clearly off balance as she trips over Lloyd.

Did she step on Lloyd on the head? Yes. Did she stomp? Well, the ref and the ARs didn't think so - and she was the focus of the play, so it's not like someone didn't see it. (Granted, we know their incompetence, so that's weak evidence at best.) Nor did NBC return to the play even though there was a stoppage right after to administer to Lloyd.

I don't believe it was deliberate.

(for reference, I downloaded the NBC broadcast torrent as listed in Lord Bob's video thread - the sequence begins at 1h11:10)

Slow motion video is how the LA cops were able to convince a jury that Rodney King was fighting back, which is why they had to keep beating him. You can't trust slow motion for judging intent.

I wish people would look at the evidence rather than the propoganda regarding the so-called "stomp."

If you were to watch the play in full speed rather than slow motion, you'd see a few things that happen all at once.

First, this is a free kick into the box. Tancredi is the target.

Second, Lloyd is her marker and loses Tank. She then launches herself horizontally back at Tank to try to interfere with the play (not dirty, just desperate). This is how she ends up on the ground. At the same time, Tank goes up and heads the ball. She lands off-balance, has to turn 180 degrees, AND is tripping over Lloyd on the ground. Look at Tancredi's arms - she's clearly off balance as she trips over Lloyd.

Did she step on Lloyd on the head? Yes. Did she stomp? Well, the ref and the ARs didn't think so - and she was the focus of the play, so it's not like someone didn't see it. (Granted, we know their incompetence, so that's weak evidence at best.) Nor did NBC return to the play even though there was a stoppage right after to administer to Lloyd.

I don't believe it was deliberate.

(for reference, I downloaded the NBC broadcast torrent as listed in Lord Bob's video thread - the sequence begins at 1h11:10)

Slow motion video is how the LA cops were able to convince a jury that Rodney King was fighting back, which is why they had to keep beating him. You can't trust slow motion for judging intent.

I watched the full speed video and it's deliberate. No doubt in my mind. Look at how she jump, she knows her opponent is down but decides to land on her head with one foot. with a stomping motion.

I like how now the worst ref in history according to this board becomes a reference for foul recognition. The way she reffed indicated to me that she never kept with the players after the play. That's why she missed the Tancredi stomp and the foul by Wambach on Schimdt in extratime. She was following the ball instead of keeping with the players for an extra second. The first was RC and the second was at least a YC and maybe a RC.

For your information, TSN came back to this incident the day after in their coverage and the announcer tought it looked bad.

If the role were oppose this board would go crazy about the violent conduct by a USA player.

The video looks very damning. Its not conclusive, the other angle from the goal line would give us more of an idea but I think its very likely it was deliberate. Still though the ref seems to be looking right at the incident and did'nt call a foul and in cases like this in many leagues the player would have a chance to defend against the accusation/give her side of the story. The Colombian girl punching the American was completely clear cut from the angle that was televised, this still leaves some small amount of doubt and with the ref well positioned its not that likely (although depends on what the ref says, if she completely missed it FIFA is more likely to suspend) that a further suspension is given.

Amazing how people can look at the same thing and see something entirely different. For me, it most definitely did not look deliberate and I can't see how villus and loyola can see it the other way. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it for sure though.

The non-action speaks volume about FIFA. Tancredi stomp is digusting.

I can't tell intent one way or another from the video. Maybe she stomped, maybe she was off balance. Nobody on the field reacted at all, not Lloyd, none of her team mates, nor any of the officials, Nobody. Anyone who saw the video of Tancredi dancing would not doubt that she could easily done the stomping. But anyone who has had their feet tangled or slipped unexpectedly will also recognize that the kick out motion could be natural. Tancredi hasn't responded to the allegation and Lloyd only decided there was intent shortly after a highly charged and contentious game was over and she was shown a replay. I'll be the last to defend FIFA, and will agree that if the ref was favouring the US, this was a perfectly good opportunity to tip the balance, but I do not agree that a conclusion of any sort can be drawn on the incident.

I can't tell intent one way or another from the video. Maybe she stomped, maybe she was off balance. Nobody on the field reacted at all, not Lloyd, none of her team mates, nor any of the officials, Nobody. Anyone who saw the video of Tancredi dancing would not doubt that she could easily done the stomping. But anyone who has had their feet tangled or slipped unexpectedly will also recognize that the kick out motion could be natural. Tancredi hasn't responded to the allegation and Lloyd only decided there was intent shortly after a highly charged and contentious game was over and she was shown a replay. I'll be the last to defend FIFA, and will agree that if the ref was favouring the US, this was a perfectly good opportunity to tip the balance, but I do not agree that a conclusion of any sort can be drawn on the incident.

Lloyd couldn't know at the time, she was face down on the ground. Her teammates were probably looking at the ball. The fact no one complained at the time is understandable because this happened after the ball went over their head. It wasn't an incident happening centrally where the ball and the players involved are the center of attention.

I don't know a player who's after a jump land with a little kick behind her/him but I guess it's Tancredi way....

Being the devils advocate here... but no press is bad press.

Waiting a week or two and handing down something horrible would bring it all back into the spotlight.

The CSA should petition not for leniency, but something ridiculous. Hero's AND martyrs.

The press they would get out of a big fine would be worth more than what they could possibly buy with equivalent advertising dollars.

:cool:

Lloyd couldn't know at the time, she was face down on the ground. Her teammates were probably looking at the ball. The fact no one complained at the time is understandable because this happened after the ball went over their head. It wasn't an incident happening centrally where the ball and the players involved are the center of attention.

I don't know a player who's after a jump land with a little kick behind her/him but I guess it's Tancredi way....

You are being silly, which a biomechanical analysis would definitiely prove, but which is not presently available. Thankfully, a simple movement experiment will prove your silliness.

Find a space with enough room to replicate her movements. Make sure you have something relatively solid and secure to "stomp" upon. Try to replicate the movements, in their kinesthetic context. Then actively try to stomp on the object, rather than feel-and-relieve pressure (as Tancredi does while looking at they play, not Lloyd's head). Realize that stomping requires a different movement. Then say, "Gee whiz, was I ever wrong. I should apologize." Then apologize.

Thank you for doing so, in advance.

You are being silly, which a biomechanical analysis would definitiely prove, but which is not presently available. Thankfully, a simple movement experiment will prove your silliness.

Find a space with enough room to replicate her movements. Make sure you have something relatively solid and secure to "stomp" upon. Try to replicate the movements, in their kinesthetic context. Then actively try to stomp on the object, rather than feel-and-relieve pressure (as Tancredi does while looking at they play, not Lloyd's head). Realize that stomping requires a different movement. Then say, "Gee whiz, was I ever wrong. I should apologize." Then apologize.

Thank you for doing so, in advance.

She's jumping with both foot and land one on Lloyd. Not really hard to replicate and intentionnally stomp on someone.

BTW, please leave the insults and arrogant tone for another place. Thank you.

She's jumping with both foot and land one on Lloyd. Not really hard to replicate and intentionnally stomp on someone.

BTW, please leave the insults and arrogant tone for another place. Thank you.

The Rodney King trial demonstrated how slo-mo can distort reality, especially when a prosecutor effectively tells the jury how to interpret what they are seeing.

Here's the prosecution's video and interpretation.

Importantly, for Tancredi to stomp Lloyd she must have one foot on the ground while the other leg does the stomping. One has to pervert the meaning of "stomp" to claim otherwise.

They freeze a frame that shows Tancredi's foot on Lloyd's head and say that it is a clear stomp. They do no analysis of the events prior to the alleged stomp. (At this point it is a good idea for you to get up and stomp one foot a few times to get an idea of what it takes to stomp your foot, specifically with respect to balance. Now try to stomp your foot while moving laterally. As you will discover, a stomp while moving laterally stops momentum.)

Back to the tape. If you start at 14 secs and continue to freeze frame the action, until their high-lighted freezeframe (all happening in the space of about 3 secs), it is clear that Tancredi tripped up on Lloyd, who went down on the play. Both of Tancredi's legs are in flexion behind her hips. This is a textbook case of tripping and falling (rotating) forward. Not much different than walking, she moved her left leg forward to catch her balance. It is a sports-trained instinctual act. While catching her balance and moving forward her foot found Lloyd's head(Note: she is looking at the play, not the head. Also note that her right leg is in the air.). Having caught her balance, she continues with the play, while continuing moving forward.

It is clear that Tancredi did not kick out at Lloyd's head. It is clear that she stepped on Lloyd's head. Kinesthetics indicates that the step on Lloyd's head was about balance. The left leg had to go forward and plant to maintain balance or she would fall. While keeping her head up to the play as a goal-scorer must, what else could she have done, in that split-second dynamic situation?

As to insults, you have either insulted Tancredi or called a spade a spade. If I am wrong about Tancredi's act, she's a nastier person than I thought she was. If you are wrong, you have bemirsched Tancredi. I recommend asking her about the play. If I'm wrong, I'll write an apology to the board. If you are wrong, you can apologize to her and write a written apology to the board.

It would be nice if you could provide us with a video of someone keeping balance in the same way Tancredi did.

Call it a stomp, a kick, a landing on an opponent, what I'm saying is that it looks intentional. She clearly knows her opponent is down and isn't off balance enough to not be able to avoid her IMO.

As for the rest, it's a discussion about one play. So I don't think I'm insulting anyone by saying it's a RC offense that was missed by the ref. Tancredi looked like she lost her cool there but got away with it, just like those LA policemen back then. End of the story and no need to take a condescending tone and use childish titles in every post.

Archived