We Need A Friendly

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hart mentioned he was close to an August friendly before the camp started but it seems he's less optimistic now judging on his comments after Tuesday's match. Does anyone know if Panama has anything planned in between these matches?

So which one of you rich guys has the dough to pay a decent team to play us AND bribe all the clubs to release the players for 5 days in August.

You dont need to bribe any club to release players. August 15 is on the FIFA calendar, so the clubs have to release players. And, the release period is 48 hours not five days.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/worldfootball/calendar&live/51/52/61/110513_IMC-FIFA-dates-2010-2014-updateMay2011-EN_11-01240_101_EN_EN.pdf

Hart mentioned he was close to an August friendly before the camp started but it seems he's less optimistic now judging on his comments after Tuesday's match. Does anyone know if Panama has anything planned in between these matches?

Yes. Panama is to play Uruguay U23 Olympic team on July 15 in Uruguay.

You dont need to bribe any club to release players. August 15 is on the FIFA calendar, so the clubs have to release players. And, the release period is 48 hours not five days.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/worldfootball/calendar&live/51/52/61/110513_IMC-FIFA-dates-2010-2014-updateMay2011-EN_11-01240_101_EN_EN.pdf

Yup. I read the news too. Two facts that I'm sure I don't have to inform you of;

1) 48 hours is an extremely limited amount of time to accomplish what I'm sure Hart would like to before we see Panama. Half the time these players don't even train the first day they arrive to camp because they are still recovering from the weekend match. For the European players this would not be a problem as most of them would be pre-season, but for MLS certainly it would be. So while the window is only 48 hours it would be nice to get more time.

2) The end of the first point extends to the second one as certainly the MLS teams in particular would be upset if we pulled some of their key players (and ours) out and expected them at high intensity for two days so we could make some progress. There is major fixture congestion at that time. So while I was joking about the need to bribe teams the potential is always there for injury and decreased performance when they go back so I'm struggling to think of another way to make the clubs buy in! Tough to have a useful national team camp without the MLS players, they are a huge part of our squad.

MLS schedule between August 10-August 19

Houston - Friday 10th, Sunday 19th

DC- Saturday 11th, Sunday 19th

Salt Lake- Saturday 11th, Saturday 18th

Toronto- Saturday 11th, Wednesday 15h, Saturday 18th

Montreal- Sunday 12th, Sunday 19th

Chivas- Sunday 12th, Saturday 18th

We need a friendly but it's tough to pull off.

Yup. I read the news too. Two facts that I'm sure I don't have to inform you of;

1) 48 hours is an extremely limited amount of time to accomplish what I'm sure Hart would like to before we see Panama. Half the time these players don't even train the first day they arrive to camp because they are still recovering from the weekend match. For the European players this would not be a problem as most of them would be pre-season, but for MLS certainly it would be. So while the window is only 48 hours it would be nice to get more time.

2) The end of the first point extends to the second one as certainly the MLS teams in particular would be upset if we pulled some of their key players (and ours) out and expected them at high intensity for two days so we could make some progress. There is major fixture congestion at that time. So while I was joking about the need to bribe teams the potential is always there for injury and decreased performance when they go back so I'm struggling to think of another way to make the clubs buy in! Tough to have a useful national team camp without the MLS players, they are a huge part of our squad.

MLS schedule between August 10-August 19

Houston - Friday 10th, Sunday 19th

Salt Lake- Saturday 11th, Saturday 18th

Toronto- Saturday 11th, Wednesday 15h, Saturday 18th

Montreal- Sunday 12th, Sunday 19th

Chivas- Sunday 12th, Saturday 18th

We need a friendly but it's tough to pull off.

We could always have a European based camp and I know Kreis would release Johnson. There are guys we could have a look at like Chencinski, REB, Di Chiara, Haber, Attakora, maybe even Cavallini and Saiko.. I'm sure their clubs would understand.

Euro-based camp with some u23 prospects plus a guy like Chencinski, and yep, Saiko, would be great. Could get a closed-door friendly to accomplish goals required to compete v. Panama appropriately and move on. Not ideal, but no reason not to.

A lack of a prep. game, let alone even just a camp prior to the crucial home and away series against Panama is absolutely unacceptable. What the hell is the CSA doing? Spend some of those millions we all know you have in the bank cuz we've seen your financial statements and get at least a f-'in camp organized so Hart can get the boys training together for even a few days to work on some tactics, watch Panamanian game film etc.

Yes, Some kind of camp or friendly would be essential. But at the same time that Aug 15 date is terrible for FIFA to have put on their Calendar. I know that these dates (and the FIFA calendar) were negotiated and agreed upon several years back. But who did they negotiate with? the Group of 16? the Group of sixteen are all European clubs. For many North and South Americans who are based professionally in Europe that date occurs barely after they have joined their clubs for pre season camps and duties. Meaning, the typical players from the Americas would have left their home country to join their European clubs only to have to travel back to play international matches. This is maybe not a big deal for a majority of Europeans whereby an international call might consist of a one hour flight in the same time zone but for others it mean extensive travel and missing crucial professional time.

Coincidence or not, we played crucial WCQ matches on that date in the past few cycles and our record is not very good on that specific date. OK, there might be other contributing factors as well. I dont know IF MLS sat at the table when these dates where negotiated but my guess is NO and that might explain the past reluctance of MLS to adhere to the calendar

Yes, Some kind of camp or friendly would be essential. But at the same time that Aug 15 date is terrible for FIFA to have put on their Calendar. I know that these dates (and the FIFA calendar) were negotiated and agreed upon several years back. But who did they negotiate with? the Group of 16? the Group of sixteen are all European clubs. For many North and South Americans who are based professionally in Europe that date occurs barely after they have joined their clubs for pre season camps and duties. Meaning, the typical players from the Americas would have left their home country to join their European clubs only to have to travel back to play international matches. This is maybe not a big deal for a majority of Europeans whereby an international call might consist of a one hour flight in the same time zone but for others it mean extensive travel and missing crucial professional time.

Coincidence or not, we played crucial WCQ matches on that date in the past few cycles and our record is not very good on that specific date. OK, there might be other contributing factors as well. I dont know IF MLS sat at the table when these dates where negotiated but my guess is NO and that might explain the past reluctance of MLS to adhere to the calendar

We shouldn't be playing friendlies with the sole objective of winning though. We should be doing them to prep the team for when winning really matters.

If that means we have a weakened team where we have some new guys in because MLSers can't make it, so be it. The real objective should be getting the bulk of the Euro based players together on that date.

I'm ok with losing the match if it means the team is a bit sharper a month later.

First I've heard of this.

But ya, definitely need a friendly or camp at the very least. Maybe we could set up a friendly against either of the Irelands or Iceland. Heck a game against Luxembourg or Andorra is something!

Or a North African team, but played in Europe. The North African teams play a similar style to Panama. How about Egypt? Too fraught? (Not IN Egypt, mind you. Let's not play in Egypt, ever.)

We shouldn't be playing friendlies with the sole objective of winning though. We should be doing them to prep the team for when winning really matters.

If that means we have a weakened team where we have some new guys in because MLSers can't make it, so be it. The real objective should be getting the bulk of the Euro based players together on that date.

I'm ok with losing the match if it means the team is a bit sharper a month later.

I disagree. In any sport it is better to go into a serious upcoming match on a winning note. This will keep their confidence up and belief that the team has a chance of being successful when playing the important Cup match. God forbid we take an International friendly lightly before a key match at this time of the competition. Selecting the right opposition is crucial and my thoughts would be a team at the same level of play. Someone like “Belarus”. It must be a tough match so as to rekindle the team’s mind set.

Or a North African team, but played in Europe. The North African teams play a similar style to Panama. How about Egypt? Too fraught? (Not IN Egypt, mind you. Let's not play in Egypt, ever.)

Egypt would likely crush us. We don't want to kill their spirits. Afterall didn't Egypt win the last African Cup of Nations?

Morocco is also a good opponent. Or perhaps Israel? Could even play in Israel. Security wouldn't be an issue there. My vote goes for a local kids team from Ireland. I don't care who! Just something to get them playing together!

I would prefer a friendly against a team with the same sort of flavour as Panama, but of sufficiently low quality to provide us with a serious ego-boost in the form of a 5(+) - 0 scoreline.
. I agree with the flair bit, but would rather we played somebody who pushed us a bit. Better to stay sharp than get false confidence from trouncing a super minnow.

Peru would be nice. Wouldn't be an easy match by any stretch. I would also take Costa Rica, Guatemala or El Salvador.

If we are fortunate enough to get a home friendly in Aug, you would have to think playing a team from the americas is a must. I would avoid any south american teams who are in form (Peru, Venezuela, etc) and clearly the elite south american teams like Argentina or Chile for example. If I had to pick a south american team it would be Bolivia, but the best pick overall would be Guatemala. They could use a game against Canada to prep for the USA, they are good enough to push us, yet they are a team we can beat and gain confidence from. Many of our players were also part of the team that beat them 3-0 in GC 07 btw.

Archived