Pre-Game: Canada vs. El Salvador

Sam

Despite the fact that we don't know if this team even exists or what formation they are playing... This is my attempt to start the convo...

Simon Thomas

Fresenga Nana Henry Stinson

Porter Saiko Piette Tiebert

Haber

REB

Same only with Gyorio replacing Porter, and it's a tough call between Alderson and Piette... they're both about the same age and Piette's a bit of an unknown quantity, and have very good international pedigree at the Jr levels, but both effectively have yet to play the game against men on a full-time basis. As such, I think we're really hurt by the lack of Di Chiara. Moreover, missing Adam Straith, Rob Stillo and Ashtone Morgan (i.e. our top goalie and 2 top defenders at this level) makes us far more vulnerable at the back! With those 4 players in the line-up I would have fancied our chances.

Overall not a bad side, but ultimately I think it will struggle due to the lack of preparation time and the absence of a few key cogs. Both issues come down to money and prestige, or specifically the lack thereof, especially when contrasted with Mexico and the USA. Hopefully one day our boys won't have to play with one leg tied behind their backs. Until then guess we'll just have to get on with it and take a scalp here and there... lets hope this tourney proves to be one of those times.

From CSN:

1- GK- Adam Janssen | USA / Minnesota Stars

2- FB- Andrés Fresenga | URU / Racing Club de Montevideo

3- M- Russell Teibert | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC

4- CB- Nana Attakora |

5- CB- Doneil Henry | CAN / Toronto FC

6- M- Kyle Bekker | USA / Boston College

7- M- Bryce Alderson | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC

8- M- Samuel Piette | FRA / FC Metz

9- M- Shaun Saiko | CAN / FC Edmonton

10- F- Marcus Haber | SCO / St. Johnstone FC

11- M- Matt Stinson | CAN / Toronto FC

12- F- Babayele Sodade | USA / Seattle Sounders FC

13- F- Lucas Cavallini | URU / Club Nacional

14- M- Philippe Davies |

15- M- Sherif El-Masri | SIN / Courts Young Lions

16- M- Drew Beckie |

17- F- Carl Haworth | CAN / Impact Montréal

18- GK- Michal Misiewicz | CAN / FC Edmonton

19- F- Randy Edwini-Bonsu | GER / Eintracht Braunsweig

20- M- Evan James | CAN / Impact Montréal

Does anyone else notice that they've only listed 3 players as defenders? Also, perhaps they intend on movinh Tiebert to FB and Stinson to LW (as they seem to have Stinson listed as a midfielder). I don't think Tiebert has enough experience back there, but he's the fitter and faster guy between the two, and our backline currently lacks pace in general.

From CSN:

Does anyone else notice that they've only listed 3 players as defenders? Also, perhaps they intend on movinh Tiebert to FB and Stinson to LW (as they seem to have Stinson listed as a midfielder). I don't think Tiebert has enough experience back there, but he's the fitter and faster guy between the two, and our backline currently lacks pace in general.

I'm sure Teibert can do the job at LB and I think they'll probably play him there. I'm just worried about our left mid/winger if we move him, I'm thinking that Haworth must be able to play on the left.

--------------------Haber----------------------

REB-------------------------------------Saiko

--------------Alderson---Bekker-------------

--------------------Stinson-------------------

Teibert-----Attakora----Henry----Fresenga

------------------Misiewicz--------------------

Revised prediction (for what it's worth/with zero credibility after my first one):

------------Misiewicz-------------

-Fresenga--Nana--Henry--Teibert-

------------Stinson--------------

-------El-Masri-----Saiko---------

---REB------------James/Cavallini-

--------------Haber-------------

I'm sure Teibert can do the job at LB and I think they'll probably play him there. I'm just worried about our left mid/winger if we move him, I'm thinking that Haworth must be able to play on the left.

--------------------Haber----------------------

REB-------------------------------------Saiko

--------------Alderson---Bekker-------------

--------------------Stinson-------------------

Teibert-----Attakora----Henry----Fresenga

------------------Misiewicz--------------------

I like this, but I question playing Saiko as a high right forward. Doesn't he play centrally as an attacking midfielder for FCE? Perhaps he is more suited for Bekkers spot, with Solade at right forward?

At the viewing party in Montreal for the Armenia game one of the guys there was an old coach of Piette who said he is now training as a fullback at Metz, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him start at the back or at least play some role at the back.

Just for a comparison, does anyone have the 2008 roster (or 2004)? In assessing the progression of our development I'd be interested to compare the player pools then vs. now for things like:

- # of players playing regularly for Sr. club side

- Development of players (domestic academy vs. foreign Academy vs. NCAA vs. other)

- # of players playing in NA vs. abroad (and where abroad... seems like we've got Asia and South America represented here... not sure if that was previously the case)

- Average age of players

- etc...

Just for a comparison, does anyone have the 2008 roster (or 2004)? In assessing the progression of our development I'd be interested to compare the player pools then vs. now for things like:

- # of players playing regularly for Sr. club side

- Development of players (domestic academy vs. foreign Academy vs. NCAA vs. other)

- # of players playing in NA vs. abroad (and where abroad... seems like we've got Asia and South America represented here... not sure if that was previously the case)

- Average age of players

- etc...

See the u23 thread.

El Salvador are the favourites according to Bet 365:

ES 1.90 Draw 3.40 Canada 3.40

My new XI:

------------Janssen/Misiewicz-------------

Fresenga----Nana--Henry---------?Teibert?

--------------Saiko----Alderson----------

James-------------Bekker--------------REB

--------------------Haber------------------

Teibert is a question mark...so his Bekker.....tough to say where we'll play. TBH, it won't matter ... we need 11 players as a unit, period. James/Sodade subbing off one of the wings makes sense, Habs leading the line, and REB on either the right or left wing as well. Some killer speed with a strong target man.

Davies hopefully gets a run out. Wonder if he's ahead or behind Bekker in the first XI? Stinson v. Alderson? Probably Stinson, but Alderson will play a full 90 in the group stage I am sure at some point.

Nana will start in CB or RB for sure....

^^^

Davies looks definite to get the start considering he was captain in a few of the games,

I agree with the whole Bekker starting, hes not a CAM. As for Sodade on the wings, i think his use is better at top then on the wing.

The middle is going to be very interesting to see, because there are alot of natural CM, but not alot of natural wingers (James, REB......)

I agree with the whole Bekker starting, hes not a CAM.

On what are you are basing this?

Bekker scored 8 times and had 7 assists in 20 games last year as a midfielder. That was the best on his team, a team which is actually pretty good in the NCAA.

I think he will surprise a number of people in this tournament.

If Teibert plays fullback I will literally go insane. Many of you know I am the biggest Russell Teibert fan alive but he was eaten alive at LB in MLS Reserves. On the other hand, playing the wing he is one of our best players; maybe our very best.

Archived