Toronto will play at Rogers Center for CCL

So the press release said that the lower bowl is completely sold out. They're releasing the final 1,000 200 level seats so that means that there's only 9,000 upper bowl seats left.

That's great. The only time to 'Dome is ever sold out is Opening night, Yankees and Philly's games. Those games always have incredible electricity and it's baseball. For soccer it's going to be electric!

So the press release said that the lower bowl is completely sold out. They're releasing the final 1,000 200 level seats so that means that there's only 9,000 upper bowl seats left.

That's great. The only time to 'Dome is ever sold out is Opening night, Yankees and Philly's games. Those games always have incredible electricity and it's baseball. For soccer it's going to be electric!

I wonder if 45k people jumping in unison would break the Skydome???

Hmm, where are all the posts doubting the ticket sales and claiming they are giving them all away? Or people only post that when the game is in Montreal?

I'm sure that there are agreements with sponsors to give away tickets and youth clubs are being heavily solicited with the $10 deal for the 500 level. I just had a former co-worker ask me if that was for real because his daughters' team has been offered tickets and it seemed like too good of a deal to him.

So what's a "sell out"?

But who cares?

Yes, there's long been the perception that the Impact papered the house in 2009 but you know what? No one cares. Those people showed up and that's the hardest part about getting a crowd to a soccer game in Canada. That game was a feel good story for the whole country and gave the game another shot in the arm after TFC burst onto the scene in '07. I don't think it's unfair to say that the spectacle of the Santos game at the O contributed to Canada now having 3 teams in MLS.

Thinking about it I wouldn't be surprised that the huge crowds for Porto-Liverpool and Celtic-Roma in '04 played a role in alerting MLSE to the possibilities for professionally presented pro soccer in the Toronto market. Big crowds in big (domed) stadiums have played an important role in the growth of the game here in the last decade. Again, who cares how people got tickets?

You are right, the capacity of the stadium is north of 46K however, they likely decided to make a soft cap at 46K with the best permament seating tickets going on sale for this game. Now that they have sold out. They can investigate into all of the other "less ideal" seats they have available and try selling them out knowing it's just gravey while still calling the game a sell-out. They can also investigate in temporary seating maybe closer to the field if they feel they can break-even on these "new sections". At this point it is about maximizing profit based on the good fortune of the "sell-out"

Rogers stadium is going to have a fantastic feel with all those seats filled with people. I have been waiting/dreaming of this since the Santos game at the Big O. March cannot come fast enough.

Just to see what's left, I checked ticketmaster. There were seats together available in the supporters section (118) and in the 100 level corners below the jumbo tron there's also tickets in the 200 level (under the jumbo tron). I thought the lower bowl was completely sold out. There's only singles available in the 500 level at this point.

Maybe the supporters group has given some tickets back or MLSE has released more tickets without a press release.

They definitely haven't sold out.

hmm.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
The game will be played on fake grass, as I originally suspected.
Interesting comments on the availability of turf (or lack thereof) starting at 2:00 and the fine tuning of the artificial turf they will pay on.

Tom Anselmi Executive VP and C.O.O, MLSE

with Bob McCown and John Shannon February 21st, 2012

Tom Anselmi joins Primetime to discuss some upcoming big events for MLSE franchises including David Beckham making possibly his final appearance coming up.

The only risk is them not letting you in at the specific gate (this very, very, very rarely happens at Jays games), but if you're going in en-masse with the supporters march I'm pretty sure they'll incur some pretty serious wrath if they give you a hard time.

What a nice spring day we are having. Wish the roof was open. I am all for playing this game at Skydome becasue if you have weather like we had Monday or the weekend, i cant see many people looking forward to stand or sit outside for 2 two hours. But there must be some people kicking themselves.

Archived