Changes for 2012 MLS Season

munseahawk

MLS announced earlier this week that the MLS Cup playoffs in 2012 will be the top 5 teams per conference, with the final to be hosted by the finalist with the better record. They also released the format that the schedule will take with the addition of the Impact. The schedule will stay at 34 games with the big change being only 1 game between teams in different conferences. That means 1 Toronto-Vancouver and Vancouver-Montreal game next season. There will also be 2 or 3 Montreal-Toronto games. Full details are at the link provided.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/11/20/mls-reveals-2012-conference-based-schedule-format

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/11/20/big-changes-mls-cup-playoffs-format-2012

I'm actually not that upset about losing the single table, because I fully believe that travel needs to be addressed. However, I can't understand why we wouldn't go to a 36 game schedule on the Euro calendar to make this happen -unless this is the next step when we hit 20 clubs.

For the Caps, 16 divisional matches against Seattle, Portland, RSL and Colorado would really cut out a ton of travel. 2 more against the remaining West clubs and 1 match against the East gives you 36 (once we hit 20 clubs).

If we play mid-July to mid-June with a December/January winter break, we could easily have the 8 clubs with temperate climates host the bulk of the October/November/February/March matches.

Currently, if we have to go to FC Dallas, LAG, and Chivas all twice in the same year and play DC, Philly, NY, NE, and Montreal away, I'm not sure we really save that much travel time and certainly no cost. The comparative distance between Toronto, KC, Chicago, Columbus and Houston vs. Dallas & LA, isn't that much greater -especially not if we keep this format when Houston comes back to the West. I guess it's marginally better for time zones, but that's about it.

So the weaker east gets as many playoff spots as the west. Real fair. The western teams are getting screwed.

As to the excess travel well one of the southsiders did a very impressive balanced schedule that cut travel greatly, respected FIFA dates and US Open/NCC dates. No the issue here is not travel it is MLS wanting to follow the NFL pattern and get to 32 teams. At 40 million a pop for the extra 12 franchises that is half a billion reasons why they are doing this.

So the weaker east gets as many playoff spots as the west. Real fair. The western teams are getting screwed.

As to the excess travel well one of the southsiders did a very impressive balanced schedule that cut travel greatly, respected FIFA dates and US Open/NCC dates. No the issue here is not travel it is MLS wanting to follow the NFL pattern and get to 32 teams. At 40 million a pop for the extra 12 franchises that is half a billion reasons why they are doing this.

I'm sure one day the Eastern side will be more powerful than the West. Also with the unbalanced schedule I think it makes it unfair to have crossover playoff berths.

We have to concede that this scheduling is the way to go due to the immense size of the continent, I don't think there's a choice much to the dismay of what our preference is.

I don't like their excuse for not being able to hit 36 matches when I'm sure some dick **** event like the World Football Challenge will take up our time mid season.

I'm pretty pleased with the upgraded playoff format, this year's was pretty stupid.

First of all, the fact that the west is currently stronger is transient, whereas the ludicrous and frankly embarrassing concept that a Western team could win the Eastern Conference, and vice versa, needed to go.

Furthermore, I think the MLS had a choice to make between two paths... Eliminate conferences all together and follow a "European" competition model wherein clubs played a balanced schedule and the regular season champion can legitimately claim to be "the best team"; or conform to the model followed by all other major North American sports, where regular season play is conference based and the winner of the play-offs holds top bragging rights. They have evidently chosen the latter, and I say it is a positive.

It's a point that has thus far escaped mention on this site, but in the past there was always a degree of ambiguity with respect to who was the "real champion" the winner of the regular season (i.e. as in a "European" competition model), or the winner of the playoffs (i.e. "North American" sports model). The elimination of a balanced schedule and move to a true conference based system, effectively undercuts any argument in favour of the regular season winner being considered the "true champion".

Personally, I thing these changes are for the best and demonstrate the maturing nature of the league. Moving decidedly away from a "European model" is a calculated gamble. On one hand there are firm geographic realities that have given rise to "conferences" in other NA sports that sooner or later MLS would have to address. While on the other hand about 10 yrs ago, with attendance slumping, the MLS figured out that it was a better strategy to convert fans of European soccer to MLS, rather than trying to convert NA sports fans to soccer. As such the goal was to replicate the European Football fan experience as much as possible, and implementing true conferences and an unbalanced schedule would have risked alienating these Euro convert fans in favor of conformity.

There will be those who say, "this is North America, we have conferences and playoffs here", and there will be those who feel that football leagues should a more or less follow a standardized global competition model. Regardless of which side of that dichotomy one falls on however, the fact that MLS now feels comfortable in it's ability to begin divorcing itself from a balanced season "European" model can be see as a sign of the growth and stability of the league, and league top brass's confidence in the permanents of it's fan base.

Hate the idea of the highest ranked finalist hosting the MLS Cup, expect boring one-sided games from now on with next to no visiting support. I'd always hoped that if TFC made a final it would be somewhere within driving distance in an Eastern Conference stadium and we'd take thousands, now that possibilities gone. Either its at home, which makes it all seem a little anti-climactic or thousands of miles away with limited tickets, not happy.

You know what, regional rivalries are important but a balanced schedule is even more important in the grand scheme of things and makes the rivalry games more important. A rivalry means less in terms of travelling if you play them more than twice a year.

Hate the idea of the highest ranked finalist hosting the MLS Cup, expect boring one-sided games from now on with next to no visiting support. I'd always hoped that if TFC made a final it would be somewhere within driving distance in an Eastern Conference stadium and we'd take thousands, now that possibilities gone. Either its at home, which makes it all seem a little anti-climactic or thousands of miles away with limited tickets, not happy.

Why would there be next to no visiting support? Did you watch the MLS Cup final last night? Also, Im sure as many tickets will be allotted to the visitors as needed. I actually like the idea of the hosting for the higher ranked team it makes way more sense, the MLS Cup in Toronto was pathetic. But I feel that the decision of who hosts the final could be hurt by the unbalanced schedule.

Yes the neutral venue finals were terrible. Sometimes neither team had many supporters there. I would far rather have a stadium full of the home team supporters and a hundred hardcore fans of the away team than a stadium full of neutrals with each team having a hundred supporters there. Unless the neutral site chosen got lucky and was near one of the teams in the final they were dreadfully lacking in any sort of atmosphere.

It is money. Pure and simple. Garber knows NA fans won't go for D2 action in a big way and relegation is off the table so conferences it is. With close to half a billion in franchise fees available if they can replicate the NFL experience of 32 teams they are going to keep conferences forever. They will add teams beyond the FIFA recommended 18-20 and say "we really have 2 leagues here".

So MLS regular season becomes one big qualification for the tournament at the end of it.

I could see them doing this when they go to 21 and beyond but for now it isn't required. The travel issue at 20 teams or less can be solved as shown by Brett's paper quite easily so that is not the reason. So MLS is planning on many more teams joining.

It is money. Pure and simple. Garber knows NA fans won't go for D2 action in a big way and relegation is off the table so conferences it is. With close to half a billion in franchise fees available if they can replicate the NFL experience of 32 teams they are going to keep conferences forever. They will add teams beyond the FIFA recommended 18-20 and say "we really have 2 leagues here".

So MLS regular season becomes one big qualification for the tournament at the end of it.

I could see them doing this when they go to 21 and beyond but for now it isn't required. The travel issue at 20 teams or less can be solved as shown by Brett's paper quite easily so that is not the reason. So MLS is planning on many more teams joining.

I think this nails it, honestly. It's a bit hard to break out of the '20 team like European leagues' mindset but it is very likely that they are setting their sights higher. Much of the dialogue that I've read has made the 20 team assumption (the Cosmos, for example, will be the 20th team in the league, yada, yada, yada) but there is no reason to restrict the league to that many teams besides adherence to a template that might not really fit the North American market or its geography. Perhaps its pie-in-the-sky, but it would be pretty cool to have more teams, more markets, and more widespread enthusiasm about the league rather than restrict it to 20 teams. I personally love the competitions within competitions in the Premier League (avoiding regulation, CL spots, etc) but that doesn't mean that it can't work another way.

Don't like the idea of having too many teams in a league: the quality of play goes down with the influx of players, less chances of qualifying for playoffs never mind winning a championship. 30 clubs is way too much IMO but heck if they're going to expand even more it would be nice to see Edmonton try for an MLS team so there'd be a Western Canadian rivalry. The only thing is that the soccer loving people in Alberta would have to get serious and use some of that Alberta oil sands money to build a soccer specific stadium. Playing in the middle of ramparts at U of Awon't cut it.

Don't like the idea of having too many teams in a league: the quality of play goes down with the influx of players, less chances of qualifying for playoffs never mind winning a championship. 30 clubs is way too much IMO but heck if they're going to expand even more it would be nice to see Edmonton try for an MLS team so there'd be a Western Canadian rivalry. The only thing is that the soccer loving people in Alberta would have to get serious and use some of that Alberta oil sands money to build a soccer specific stadium. Playing in the middle of ramparts at U of Awon't cut it.

No offence (really no offence). But I totally disagree, if expansion is done RIGHT (meaning slowly, people here showed me the error of my thinking) it would be great to see 30 teams.

Anyone I have brought to a TFC game has become a convert! We just need to get the word out on a grassroots level, I sent a friend in KC a pair this summer and now he has seasons.

IMO quality will RISE not fall with more teams as more people 'catch the fever' better attendance, bigger TV contracts = more money in the pot and better quality.

With the old system is was a 50/50 anyway, including Impact there are less than 10 venues less than 12hrs drive.

Hey, maybe Toronto has most points AND makes the final!

Regardless, wherever TFC would play for the Cup I will be there!

That goes for CONCACAF too!

I would prefer to keep the single table for now but if we get many more teams then I think going to conferences or even two separate divisions that only meet in the playoffs is better. The FIFA model is based on Western European countries and there is no reason to follow it in North America. Between Canada and the US we have a far bigger land mass than all of Europe and a population equal to that of Western Europe so there is no need to follow their model. Two divisions or leagues with at least twice as many Canadian teams as now would be great both for developing Canadian soccer and for the fans as far as rivalries go.

I would prefer to keep the single table for now but if we get many more teams then I think going to conferences or even two separate divisions that only meet in the playoffs is better. The FIFA model is based on Western European countries and there is no reason to follow it in North America. Between Canada and the US we have a far bigger land mass than all of Europe and a population equal to that of Western Europe so there is no need to follow their model. Two divisions or leagues with at least twice as many Canadian teams as now would be great both for developing Canadian soccer and for the fans as far as rivalries go.

+1

I like the idea of having two separate leagues/conferences that only meet in the playoffs. Maybe they could figure out a way for inter conference games because obviously all teams won't make the playoffs or be able to play each other. Maybe have results from the previous season determine which teams play each other in these games so that there is still a logical system and people won't complain about unfair scheduling.

So I had a read of the MLS revamp with my "European eyes" and kinda understand why the authors of the EPL's infamous 39th game for the EPL, didn't understand the backlash of the English fans. There is disaster senario written all over that. Man-U need three points to overhall Man-C to win the title and draw already Relegated Blackburn. Man-C draw Liverpool who in their 38 game leveled on points with Newcastle but stay in forth on -1 goal difference etc... Newcastle draw midtable also rans who really want to get to a beech etc.....Minefield, and totally unworkable.... in England that is.

Unbalanced league in North america? not so much of a problem no-one will lose their status, you could be the 10th worse team in the league but still win a confrence and possibly make the MLS bowl. Actually I'm probaly totally wrong with this assesment because I have no Idea what the heck the MLS have come up with for 2012! I've read it three time and cannot make head nor tale of it.

This kind of math makes me think that someone at the US Mail misdirected some DVD-R files boxes and that Darn Robot that Just flew of to Mars is going to do nothing with the Martian Regolith other than find a nice sized rock and play Keepy Uppy with It!

Why, when you have 19 clubs can you not play a straight 36 game season and use a progressive elimination play off system Like they do in Australia?

Opps forgot . Halfway through the season the bottom half of the league may as well go home because they are playing out the remaining games for nothing, or are they? Well thats not stricly true. No-hope united may have no chance of getting to the playoffs, but they can effect the teams who can.

Also, what's wrong with a playoff system that works like the World Cup or Champions league group of 16. That only drops the last three teams from the play off; Because if you can finish out of the last three you don't deserve a post season ( I'm not having a dig Grizzly, honest).

The higher up a team finishes the better advantage it gets. Top of the Ladder gets a one off home tie against the 16th club. Second gets 15th etc.

Its four extra post season games. Maybe five or six if you make the Semi and Quarter finals Home and Away affairs, but to me its simple and fairly equitable if you don't want to accept the team with the best overall record (which is what the supporters shield does anyway-does it not?)

I know that the issue with confrencing is apparently travel but why with a $40million buy in would the cost of travel be that big an issue. Its like shopping Harrods. If you need to ask the price you should not really be in there, should you?

Anyway, I believe J.R.TOLKIEN summed it up best...

One Does Not Simply, create MLS schedules

Cheers!

If this been the case no wonder the Edmontons Mayor Mandel is possitive with regards to FCEdmonton plans for a potential 10-20K WWC Legacy Stadium.

For me to think that you getting in a dig, I would actually have to understand what you wrote. Was that English proficiency Canadian citizenship test pass or fail or did they actually give you a mark? :)

I have a ex-colleage who use to say pretty much the same thing, but he was from Barcalona!

As for the ELTS test? Not had to take it yet old boy, although I have been advised to stick to a simple form of "The cat sat on the mat" style of prose. Apparently "Tiddles spread eagled herself on the textile derivative floor protector." won't cut it!

Don't like the idea of having too many teams in a league: the quality of play goes down with the influx of players, less chances of qualifying for playoffs never mind winning a championship. 30 clubs is way too much IMO

Why would the chances of qualifying for playoffs decrease? They'll just keep increasing the # of playoff teams as the league expands. There's no way the size of the playoff tournament will remain at 10 teams forever.

I guess the 2012 format is a bit better than 2011's overall. However, with the loss of the single-game conference final, teams that have a good regular season have no advantage anymore. Really, the league needs to try a little harder to make the regular season count for something. It's not rocket science.

I have a ex-colleage who use to say pretty much the same thing, but he was from Barcalona!

As for the ELTS test? Not had to take it yet old boy, although I have been advised to stick to a simple form of "The cat sat on the mat" style of prose. Apparently "Tiddles spread eagled herself on the textile derivative floor protector." won't cut it!

If not for your location I'd swear you were grand old Noel Butler the Cockney Marblemouth himself, who has the uncanny and rare ability to write typed prose that is as confusing, halting and yet entertaining as his spoken dialect :)

Archived