TFC vs. Chivas USA - Apr. 2nd [R]

Tuscan

So this one ends 1-1, not much in it... EXCEPT MAICON's MISSED SITTER!!!

Holy, I swear, you TFC guys can't catch a break lately.

Maicon's first goal should of counted, goalie touched the ball, therefore negating the offside position. Though he should of just slide that ball to Stevanovic on his second break and they would of picked up all 3 points regardless.

I think there was positive's though. Martina is gonna be a catalyst to all of TFC's fortune's going forward.

As I said in the DeRo thread, I like what I see of Tchani and I think he might form a good partnership alongside JDG. Of JDG, obviously he's going to need some more matches to get his sea legs. Borman and Williams provide athletic depth for the team, if nothing else.

Martina has built on last week's effort. Jury is out on Stevanovic: get the sinister foreboding that he might be Vitti-esque in that he's got the sizzle but not much steak in the end product, yet he's hardly been here as well so he'll also need a run of matches.

Those are my first impressions of the match, but once I re-watch the game on tape I'm sure I'll be altering my opinions.

I just got back from the game. Here are my thoughts:

1. SCARY first 10 minutes of the first half. They were incredibly sloppy, and they deserved to be down 1-0.

2. TFC played better, and they deserved to tie the game.

3. I like Martina, but I find he plays too close to the line.

4. I can't think of any scenario to justify NOT scoring on a 2 on 0.

5. I can't comment on TFC's non-goal. I was sitting on the north end, so I had a bad vantage point.

This game will be most remembered for a wasted chance of a win.

I believe you can chalk Maicon's disgusting miss under the I Wanted To Score On My Former Team category. My brother and I just about spat out the Unibrew we were drinking when that one happened - honestly WTF?!?! The offside goal was offside - the ball was not redirected intentionally by the keeper, it was a deflection and therefore does not negate an offside call. Squizz - I see an Ask The Ref question that needs to be answered...

Time for more beer.

I believe you can chalk Maicon's disgusting miss under the I Wanted To Score On My Former Team category. My brother and I just about spat out the Unibrew we were drinking when that one happened - honestly WTF?!?! The offside goal was offside - the ball was not redirected intentionally by the keeper, it was a deflection and therefore does not negate an offside call. Squizz - I see an Ask The Ref question that needs to be answered...

Time for more beer.

We had a decent turnout here in Regina for the RPB Saskatchewan viewing of the match, a minor victory.

We were all in shock that Maicon didn't bury that. It was a really disappointing day for us. Feels worse than a loss in many ways.

I just got back from the game. Here are my thoughts:

1. SCARY first 10 minutes of the first half. They were incredibly sloppy, and they deserved to be down 1-0.

2. TFC played better, and they deserved to tie the game.

3. I like Martina, but I find he plays too close to the line.

4. I can't think of any scenario to justify NOT scoring on a 2 on 0.

5. I can't comment on TFC's non-goal. I was sitting on the north end, so I had a bad vantage point.

This game will be most remembered for a wasted chance of a win.

I sit at the top of 111, right on the goal line. That was a damn terrible call.

Stop the negativity boys. This is by far the most skilled offensive team TFC has put together. In my eyes the trades and players brought in this year are top rate. There are a few from last year that still need to be replaced (Attakora, Harding, Peterson). This should have been a 4-1 win for our boys. The negativity has to stop as the main stream media is feeding on it. Keep things positive and the team will do well this year.

Stop the negativity boys. This is by far the most skilled offensive team TFC has put together. In my eyes the trades and players brought in this year are top rate. There are a few from last year that still need to be replaced (Attakora, Harding, Peterson). This should have been a 4-1 win for our boys. The negativity has to stop as the main stream media is feeding on it. Keep things positive and the team will do well this year.

There's no (unnecessary) negativity in here. I think it's quite objective. I don't see the point in being mindlessly optimistic. The MSM will say what they say. I pay little attention to them.

They should have won today and they didn't. No doubt a tie is better than a loss, but they had the chances.

This is a draw that feel like a loss. We should have won 3-1. I just hope that there are fewer brain cramps in the future because I feel that this team has more talent than others think and they could surprise. The real question is figuring out how long it will take to get all the pieces together.

I am worried that Cann and Attakora are less solid than last year. We are completely screwed at RB (Gargan can't do it and Harden should not even be asked to), so we need to bring in a fast/attacking RB. With Yourassowsky back from suspension, either he or Borman might be asked to try RB.

I like the attacking flair that we now have - especially with Martina. There isn't a fifteen goal scorer here (a DP striker should still be considered), but we don't need the "DeRo Show" if he have a more balanced attack. The midfield looks really solid, so one high quality attacking player and a RB is really the only additions we really need right now.

I'm sick if the DP striker talk already. Martina on the right wing is fantastic so far, Gordon who we just acquired what...a week and a half ago via trade? has looked good in the middle and Stevanovich who we brought in on loan just last week has shown some skill on the left wing. How can we be clamoring for a DP striker when we've barely given any chance for the players we JUST ACQUIRED to do something? And in the little time they've been here, they've actually looked pretty well at times. I just don't get the line of thinking.

I also believe it to be a bit mindless to state "TFC should have won 3-1" when Chivas could almost as easily won 3-1. You have to look at both sides of the coin here.

As for Cann, Attakora (along with Harden/Gargan), they simply don't have the ball skills to play on this team this year. I don't expect to see any of them beyond this season. I don't think Cann/Attakora are bad players, just no longer right for where this team is going.

I'm sick if the DP striker talk already. Martina on the right wing is fantastic so far, Gordon who we just acquired what...a week and a half ago via trade? has looked good in the middle and Stevanovich who we brought in on loan just last week has shown some skill on the left wing. How can we be clamoring for a DP striker when we've barely given any chance for the players we JUST ACQUIRED to do something? And in the little time they've been here, they've actually looked pretty well at times. I just don't get the line of thinking.

I also believe it to be a bit mindless to state "TFC should have won 3-1" when Chivas could almost as easily won 3-1. You have to look at both sides of the coin here.

As for Cann, Attakora (along with Harden/Gargan), they simply don't have the ball skills to play on this team this year. I don't expect to see any of them beyond this season. I don't think Cann/Attakora are bad players, just no longer right for where this team is going.

I can't see Attakora or Cann going anywhere, remember Attakora is only 22 years old he can learn and he's one of the best young players in the league. We definitely need a ball moving right back, in a possession system the full backs are so key.

Maicon's first goal should of counted, goalie touched the ball, therefore negating the offside position. Though he should of just slide that ball to Stevanovic on his second break and they would of picked up all 3 points regardless.

I think there was positive's though. Martina is gonna be a catalyst to all of TFC's fortune's going forward.

A touch by a keeper isn't enough to negate the offside position. If that was the rule you wouldn't see many goals being called back on rebouds after keeper saves. The opposing team needs to get control of the ball and that wasn't the case here. Extremely tough call on TFC but the correct one and JdV finally said it in the broadcast.

I think it's a question of depth to some extent. I don't necessarily think they need a DP striker, though it couldn't* hurt but they should probably find another attacking player to add to depth. Imagine one or two of Santos, Martina or Gordon gets injured...who do you put in? Joao Plata is interesting, but I think it's too early to throw him into the fire at the moment.

Personally, I'm voting for Danny Koevermans, just as a random may-fit-TFC's-needs-and-may-be-interested-but-probably-not-both striker.

*Although if the DP turned out like Mista that would probably hurt...

The key thing I think is that the players all fit together .. this is something that never was properly pursued before. In this league, I'm not so much concerned about loss of disgruntled stars, or the signing of some DP, as having decent players fit together and begin to operate as a single entity so to speak.. If Winter is a man of vision, and he's not interfered with, this will happen. I believe this is his goal. And if it does happen, it will be the first time..

A touch by a keeper isn't enough to negate the offside position. If that was the rule you wouldn't see many goals being called back on rebouds after keeper saves. The opposing team needs to get control of the ball and that wasn't the case here. Extremely tough call on TFC but the correct one and JdV finally said it in the broadcast.

Thanks for that, I wasn't sure if I was right about that either, I figured it had to be a defender.

Gargan can still play a role as cheap utility depth which was what he originally was supposed to be.

As for this argument that Cann and Attakora aren't technical enough for the system I keep reading everywhere... I feel like I'm taking crazy pills! Where the hell are we gonna get technically savvy CBs on an MLS budget? Short of Rafa Marquez is there a single CB in the league that is technical enough to do what people are asking? If Cann and Attakora are a problem then the problem is the system not the players.

Totally agree with your disagreement with all the "TFC should have won 3 - 1 comments" though btw. Yes, Santos missed a sitter. Yes, TFC were unlucky to have a tight call go against them (even though it was correct) but let's be clear: they were absolutely BATTERED for the opening 24 minutes until Gordon hit the post and were lucky not to be further down. TFC was strong for the last 20 minutes of the second half but Chivas completely managed the second half as a road team and I don't remember any offense from TFC outside of the Santos chance. Let's not forget that Frei had to make 2 or 3 respectable saves to prevent Chivas from scoring too while Julian had to take a yellow to break up that late counter. And there were the near own goals and turnovers as we tried to play out of the back. TFC could have won 3 - 1 but 1 - 1 was a more than fair result based on the actual balance of play and, like you said, they easily could have lost if Chivas (and Justin Braun in particular) had shown more killer instinct early or late.

. . . Where the hell are we gonna get technically savvy CBs on an MLS budget? Short of Rafa Marquez is there a single CB in the league that is technical enough to do what people are asking?

I think killgod is right, at least about Cann. I'm not sure exactly what you think "people are asking" but definitely better skill on the ball and more mobility are needed, and you can buy that for a hell of a lot less than New York is paying Marquez. I think Cann will be gone, if not by the end of this season then certainly before Spring 2012.

I think killgod is right, at least about Cann. I'm not sure exactly what you think "people are asking" but definitely better skill on the ball and more mobility are needed, and you can buy that for a hell of a lot less than New York is paying Marquez. I think Cann will be gone, if not by the end of this season then certainly before Spring 2012.

Cann could be gone. It's not like TFC doesn't have a history of making hasty decisions without properly identifying an adequate replacement.

But who are the best CB's in MLS? Gonzalez, Borchers, Olave, C. Marshall? "Technical master" Marvell Wynne turned into an MLS Cup winning CB last year! I can't even remember the name of who his partner was! I expect GOOD MLS quality CBs to do pretty much exactly what Cann and Attakora were able to do under Preki last year. That doesn't preclude playing possession soccer if you've got two good CMs in front of them to collect the ball and two good fullbacks outside them to turn defense into attack on the wings. But ditching either of them in the near future in pursuit of some ideal of an elagant ball playing Franz Beckenbauer to marshal things in the back is putting the cart before the horse in MLS IMHO.

(And it's just as likely that Nana will want to escape the TFC soap opera when his contract is up and we'll be relying on Cann even more next year. It'll depend on how poor the rest of the season goes I'd guess.)

(And it's just as likely that Nana will want to escape the TFC soap opera when his contract is up and we'll be relying on Cann even more next year. It'll depend on how poor the rest of the season goes I'd guess.)

Maybe worth bearing in mind that if Cann goes in the next few days it will probably be because of the training camp contract holdout. There are rumours elsewhere that he has asked to be traded.

Archived