Canadians In MLS (2011 Season)

El Hombre

DDR is a beast. If he keeps this pace, he'll be a an MVP candidate for sure. It's his option year, right? I wonder what the odds of him going back to Celtic are? They liked him quite a bit last off season, I'm sure they'll love him with no strings attached.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 weeks later...

- JDG started played ninety;

- Morgan started played ninety and collected an assist (with another superb cross) on Kouvermans first goal;

- Stinson came in in the 74th min and had a good go at goal that was deflected over tha bar;

- Dunfield subbed in in the 80th min.

- Johnson started played ninety;

- JDG started played ninety;

- Morgan started played ninety and collected an assist (with another superb cross) on Kouvermans first goal;

- Stinson came in in the 74th min and had a good go at goal that was deflected over tha bar;

- Dunfield subbed in in the 80th min.

- Johnson started played ninety;

It's a pity Morgan is a LB where Canada is so rich with quality and relative depth. Funny, as it's usually one of the hardest spots for a club to fill and here we are with a guy like Morgan who could be an MLS starter for years before there's even a bench spot available with the MNT at that position.

It's a pity Morgan is a LB where Canada is so rich with quality and relative depth. Funny, as it's usually one of the hardest spots for a club to fill and here we are with a guy like Morgan who could be an MLS starter for years before there's even a bench spot available with the MNT at that position.

I actually thought he might have gotten a call in the last round WCQ matches. He crosses the ball well (I have noted this previously throughout the year) and that has been an element that we have lacked on our national team. I've never been a big booster of Rob Friend, but I wonder how he would look if there was someone who could cross the ball well.

As a far as depth at that position. Well, there is Jazic, who is steady but unspectacular. Kluka has strenghts in the defensive area of the game and is more experienced but i havent seen great ball crosses from him and i dont think he is as threatening coming forward as Morgan. I havent really seen anything from DeJong.

Remember, Morgan is a NATURAL LEFT FOOTED player.

I actually thought he might have gotten a call in the last round WCQ matches. He crosses the ball well (I have noted this previously throughout the year) and that has been an element that we have lacked on our national team. I've never been a big booster of Rob Friend, but I wonder how he would look if there was someone who could cross the ball well.

As a far as depth at that position. Well, there is Jazic, who is steady but unspectacular. Kluka has strenghts in the defensive area of the game and is more experienced but i havent seen great ball crosses from him and i dont think he is as threatening coming forward as Morgan. I havent really seen anything from DeJong.

Remember, Morgan is a NATURAL LEFT FOOTED player.

Morgan is probably fourth on the LB depth chart.

1a. De Jong

1b. Klukowski

3. Jazic

4. Morgan

At 35, Jazic is obviously nearing the end of his effectiveness as a national teamer, and will be passed by Morgan sooner than later. If one of De Jong or Klukowski is injured, I'd have no problems calling Morgan up as a bench player.

Speaking of Jazic, he played 90 for Chivas USA tonight in a 2-2 draw against DC United. De Ro went 90 and scored for DC in the first half but later missed a PK that would have given them the win. Jakovic still out injured for DC United.

Will Johnson played 90 in a 3-1 win for RSL over NY, which helps TFC's slim playoff chances and their chances of having a better first round pick from the DeRo trade than I think anyone was anticipating when it was first announced.

Attakora starts for SJ against Portland, its currently 1-1 late in the 2nd half at the time of writing. He appears to have nearly scored on a header in the first half.

Now tops in MLS with 13 goals. This guy is such an enigma. He plays maybe one good game every 2 or 3 for Canada, is petulant, but is also an absolute beast in MLS.

TFC blew a good thing with DDR. He's hardly an enigma... The whole league knows he's a monster out there. He's the MVP in the MLS, no problem. He has to be the favourite right now. If DC make the playoff, there can be no doubt...

If I were Montreal, I'd be calling his agent. Those 3 goals today were beautiful and the assist in the first goal? perfect.

I'd like to see what happens with Derosario playing balls to Hoillet or JD2.. Against Honduras, or Mexico or the yanks.

Now tops in MLS with 13 goals. This guy is such an enigma. He plays maybe one good game every 2 or 3 for Canada, is petulant, but is also an absolute beast in MLS.

I don't think we can compare the international level in CONCACAF with the level played in MLS. I agree that all the goals DDR scored yesterday are impressive, and I've been very impressed (was this the best MLS game of his career?) but also, the truth is that looking at goals he scored last year and this as well, I find half the the goals were the product of mistakes made by either the keeper or the defence, something very unlikely to happen at international level.

That said, I believe that DDR is one of the best players of the league and TFC made sadly a mistake by trading him. As reported above, he's now top scorer of the league with 13 and also has 9 assists, just one behind the top assists of the league. Very impressive. It would be awesome to see him finish both top scorer and top assists.

I don't think we can compare the international level in CONCACAF with the level played in MLS. I agree that all the goals DDR scored yesterday are impressive, and I've been very impressed (was this the best MLS game of his career?) but also, the truth is that looking at goals he scored last year and this as well, I find half the the goals were the product of mistakes made by either the keeper or the defence, something very unlikely to happen at international level.

That said, I believe that DDR is one of the best players of the league and TFC made sadly a mistake by trading him. As reported above, he's now top scorer of the league with 13 and also has 9 assists, just one behind the top assists of the league. Very impressive. It would be awesome to see him finish both top scorer and top assists.

Why would mistakes be unlikely to happen at the international level? Teams like Panama and Cuba have some players well below MLS quality who could just as easily make those gaffes, it's just all about putting them away and being in a position to put them away. For DC and Toronto last season he's been "the Man", he leads the league in shots (and actually has 11 assists not 9, the top assist getter has 14).

I think for Canada we get more of the New York Dwayne because for us to be successful we can't be dependent on him just running wild with the other players we have at our disposal (especially since he doesn't play as a forward like he does for DC). Dwayne did a great job of creating space for himself on the second and third goals last night, exactly what he needs to do to score from open play in the position we had him playing vs. St. Lucia/Puerto Rico. I'm confident we'll see him break Dale's record in the next two matches. Oh btw did I mention.... DERO IS A AN ABSOLUTE FREAK OF NATURE, who would have imagined we'd be seeing what we are seeing.. we are talking about a guy who made MLS history last night with one of the best performances of all time (who can beat that?). But hold on right there, this man isn't just making MLS history or football history out there.. he's making sports history, 3 teams in one season, leading the league in goals and the MVP race presumably... retarded.

Why would mistakes be unlikely to happen at the international level? Teams like Panama and Cuba have some players well below MLS quality who could just as easily make those gaffes, it's just all about putting them away and being in a position to put them away. For DC and Toronto last season he's been "the Man", he leads the league in shots (and actually has 11 assists not 9, the top assist getter has 14).

The answer to your questions depends of course on how you define the concept of international level. I was thinking more of the top 4-5 nations in CONCACAF as the standard in the region. I don't consider the nations in our current group, Puerto Rico, Saint Lucia and St Kitts, as international level.

BTW, following my logic, given the fact we often lose games by our mistakes in defence, one could argue that Canada neither have the quality of international level.

The answer to your questions depends of course on how you define the concept of international level. I was thinking more of the top 4-5 nations in CONCACAF as the standard in the region. I don't consider the nations in our current group, Puerto Rico, Saint Lucia and St Kitts, as international level.

BTW, following my logic, given the fact we often lose games by our mistakes in defence, one could argue that Canada neither have the quality of international level.

How often do we play the top 4-5 nations though? (US, Mexico, Honduras, Costa Rica, Jamaica(?)).. the US and Mexico are clearly on a different level, then you have Honduras and Costa Rica who can both field good XIs and then you have Jamaica, Guatemala, Panama etc. who are both arguably a step behind those two (I'd say we fit in here too and hopefully we can get up to CR and Honduras level).

If you compare us with Jamaica (let's call them the average team in the region even though they are in the upper tier of round 2 teams), they are probably a step behind talent wise ESPECIALLY on the back line (Dicoy Williams shouldn't be in MLS.. Tyrone Marshall? Ian Goodison?). I'd say Jamaica has an MLS backline at best, this is a team ripe for the picking and if you watched their game vs. the US compared to our game vs. the US last Gold Cup I really don't think they're on our level.. so why can't Dwayne do what he does in MLS? It's up to him to change that because I really don't think defenders in this region should have the MLS MVP being pushed out of games, ESPECIALLY when we have other players to take the attention off him.

Despite the complaining here, I think we are very lucky to have the players we do on the back line (besides the right back problem). You have to believe Edgar, Hainault, De Jong, Klukowski, McKenna, Jakovic, Cann, Straith, Jazic would all walk onto the Jamaican XI and any team below them (Panama is questionable).

Straith and Ledgerwood have both made errors that have caused us goals against this year (vs. Greece and the USA mind you who will punish you). But besides that I haven't seen too many errors and generally our back line has been a strong point.

Respect for DERO is rising - there were some Washington Post bloggers who were like: "Please show DERO the money" - his performances have been spectacular again this season. The man is getting better and smarter with age. MOst importantly, he's dedicated and committed, and backs his contract demands with performance. And not once has he NOT played according to his contract commitments. That cannot be said for many others (Tevez)

- Jack Stewart played 90 for Dallas tonight in their 5-3 loss to Taro FC in the CCL. I wonder if might be an emergency call-up at some point.

- Johnson played 90 for RSL as Chicago beat them 3-0 in Utah.

- And 18-year-old Hamilton native Josh Janniere is on the bench for the Colorado Rapids in their CCL match vs Metapan, currently 2-1 Colorado late in the second half. I think it's the first time he's been in a match roster since March.

Columbus - DC United (DDR)

2 - 1 for Columbus with 20 minutes remaining to the end of the match. DDR starts in midfield and assists the only goal made by DC. He has now 14 goals (lone top scorer) and 10 assists, one behind the first, Beckham.

Not sure where you are getting those numbers but on the league site he now has 12 assists, 2 behind Davis and Beckham who are tied at 14

Archived