Canadians In MLS (2011 Season)

El Hombre

Guidelines for this thread

* In this thread post match updates on all Canadians playing in MLS.

* If you find updates posted in some other thread or on the other Voyageurs forum then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.

* If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.

* Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm bored...

Chivas USA

- Ante Jazic

DC United

- Dejan Jakovic

- Pat Onstad

FC Dallas

- Edson Edward

Houston Dynamo

- Andre Hainault

New York Red Bull

- Greg Sutton

Real Salt Lake

- Will Johnson

Toronto FC

- Nana Attakora

- Adrian Cann

- Julian de Guzman

- Dwayne De Rosario

- Doneil Henry

- Nicholas Lindsey

- Gianluce Zavarise

Vancouver Whitecaps FC

- Philippe Davies

- Terry Dunfield

Did I miss anyone?

Ashtone Morgan, Oscar Cordon, Matt Stinson, Keith Makubuya and Teibert have signed, leaving 21 Canadians under contract in MLS with Harmse on trial. Not bad! How long before we see an all North American based NT game?

Why does Vancouver only have two? I thought that Vancouver was supposed to be far ahead of Toronto in terms of the academy, but only two Canadians? I haven't followed the Whitecaps at all, can someone explain that?

They have 4 but one isn't eligible to play for us (Rochat is born here but played for the Swiss in a ECQ game).

I must admit that as a Canadian fan I'm a bit disapointed with the Caps number of Canadians but I'm curious to see what Teibert, Dunfield and Davies can do at the MLS level. Those are guys who are knocking on the MNT door at the moment and a solid MLS season could mean a MNT spot when WCQ starts in September (Dunfield is the most likely IMO).

Plus you gotta remember Alderson with the residency, and the numerous others who will be with the PDL team.

And that we lost Gage to Reading, and Porter is basically on loan for a year to the Impact,

Updated:

Chivas USA

- Ante Jazic

DC United

- Dejan Jakovic

- Pat Onstad

FC Dallas

- Edson Edward (Long Term Injury)

Houston Dynamo

- Andre Hainault

New York Red Bull

- Greg Sutton

Real Salt Lake

- Will Johnson

Toronto FC

- Nana Attakora

- Adrian Cann

- Julian de Guzman

- Dwayne De Rosario

- Doneil Henry

- Nicholas Lindsey (Long Term Injury)

- Gianluce Zavarise

- Ashtone Morgan

- Oscar Cordon

- Matt Stinston

- Keith Makubuya

Vancouver Whitecaps FC

- Philippe Davies

- Terry Dunfield

- Russell Teibert

It's just a difference of approach. Toronto FC is being more aggressive than Vancouver signing their youth players. Guys like Cordon and Makuyuba aren't ahead of the likes of Jackson, Bassi, and Alderson much if at all; the difference is that Vancouver has signed their youth players if they have a real chance of contributing to the first team immediately and is otherwise leaving them in the PDL, while Toronto is using their youth players for depth and a sort of MLS "work experience". I'll be interested to see which strategy works out best.

Also, comparing apples to apples, we should add that Whitecaps third-string goalkeeper Brian Sylvestre is a Residency graduate, but is also American.

It's just a difference of approach. Toronto FC is being more aggressive than Vancouver signing their youth players. Guys like Cordon and Makuyuba aren't ahead of the likes of Jackson, Bassi, and Alderson much if at all; the difference is that Vancouver has signed their youth players if they have a real chance of contributing to the first team immediately and is otherwise leaving them in the PDL, while Toronto is using their youth players for depth and a sort of MLS "work experience". I'll be interested to see which strategy works out best.

There are two good reasons to sign these kids to pro contracts. First, you remove the possibility of them getting stolen by a non-MLS club. You spend time and money on developing these players and having them sign with another club is counterproductive. Second, with the limit on Academy players in reserve games (5 player limit) you provide an opportunity for other Academy players to test themselves. Now you can promote guys like Lao, Cavalluzo, Aleman, Camargo, Petrasso, Seymour etc. to play in the reserve matches.

Saturday MLS results:

DC United 3-1 Columbus (Onstad and Jakovic played the full 90 min).

NYRB 1-0 Seattle (Sutton played the whole game)

Houston 0-1 Philadelphia (Hainault starts and is subbed out after 75 min)

Chivas USA 2-3 Kansas City (Jazic played the whole game)

San Jose 0-1 RSL (Johnson played the whole game)

I see that Carlos "Buttmunch" Ruiz is back in the league this year and continued his tradition of giving flying elbows to the head of Canadian defenders - he caught Hainault with one 20 minutes into the game and how he did not get red-carded is a complete mystery to me. Highlights up on the mlssoccer.com site.

Onstad and Jakovic go the distance for DC as they lose 2-1 to New England. Referee Baldomero Toledo with two awful calls to screw DC United on both goals - an obvious hand ball not called on the first goal, and then a horrible PK call for the 2nd goal, which earned Onstad a yellow for arguing the call.

Edit: Jakovic actually picked up a red card deep in injury time - on another brutal call by Toledo (and his PK call for DC's goal wasn't much better). Not a great week for MLS officiating.

Jazic was a second half sub (63') for Chivas as they lost away to Portland.

It was Portland's first match at home, played before a sell-out crowd at small Merlo Field at the University of Portland. Boyens was sent off after accumulating two yellows in eight minutes of the first half: http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/portland-drop-chivas-usa-us-open-cup-play

Archived