U17 WCQ: Canada vs Panama Semi-Final (February 25th, 2011)

jpg75

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Might be big coaching mistake bunkering. 16-17 kids should be attacking, not enough time together as a team to be playing like this. Panama could end up putting in a sitter yet.

The changes made by Canada suggest me that the coach is trying to do things in attack. We changed a striker for a striker and then a mid for mid. The coach is trying to get fresh legs in attack but the team is not responding.

Well done by Panama. Typical latin-style possession. Showed our naivety I think. Because technically I think we're the equals to Panama...? The physical coordination and athleticism coupled with organization got Canada through this one.

Well done guys!!!! Gonna have to have the front foot forward in the final though....likely v. USA...?

Tough game but we edged it out. Still haven't conceded. We're in the final and that's one more important game for this group to play in (good for development). Fantastic for the kids, and it helps build a winning attitude for this group of youngsters (something we need at the Senior level).

Quite impressed and excited. I might have to get twitter soon to start firing these things around the interwebs to my friends.

Definitely wasn't impressed with that second half, I think after the end of the first half we needed a new approach lets face it they could have tied that match up. We needed to push on for a second, our boys were getting ahead of themselves with possession instead of making the smart pass they were fighting the ball up field and it was rebounding right back to where it came from. The ref wasn't a help to us today either, I know he may have been from Barbados and been a little upset but some of those calls were shocking.

So win the final and were a top seed at the World Cup? 2nd place would mean a 2nd or maybe 3rd seed? Anyone know how that works.

The announcer mentioned it but I was distracted and didn't get to hear all that he said.

dont count on it. FIFA tend to make things up as they go along. the women won their qualifying tourny and were not given a top seeding. Beside, the places are fairly spread out amongst regions and will likely go into the same pot so you will see all UEFA teams in one pot, all concacaf and likely NZ in another and so forth. Canada will probably end up in a group with one Euro side, one SA or African side etc etc.

Seeding is less relevant for the U17 and U20 WC's even though there are the usual powers at the level like Bra, Arg, Ghanna etc.

The ref wasn't a help to us today either, I know he may have been from Barbados and been a little upset but some of those calls were shocking.

\but he didn't issue any cards. And from what we heard (ie.: cards being carried over to the WC) its a big bonus to get through the final of the qualifying tourny with no cards at all. I didnt think the ref was bad to be honest. Although I did only catch second half.

Crepeau has looked like a solid keeper however, I don't know if I can fault him for anything. He was brave in net coming out for balls, made good decisions, communicated with his back line well, is a great kicker of the ball, smart with his time wasting tactics... the Impact look to have a keeper there (had to).

Archived