U17 WCQ: Canada vs Panama Semi-Final (February 25th, 2011)

jpg75

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I only watched the first half and Canada looked good not great. I didn't watch the quarter but from what I understand Canada played much better in that game. IMO this would have been a hard game to get up for considering these are kids. They all knew they were through to the WC so a loss wouldn't have been devastating. Now that we're into the final we should see a rejuvenated effort.

Looking like we'll face the USA, that game is looking a lot like our match the USA got an early one and now they are playing safe football

It does look similar doesn't it. Jamaica is out chancing the Americans. individually I am seeing better play from the Jamaicans but collectively the Americans looked better and more organized even when they are coming forward. I am seeing alot cynicism from the yanks, a couples of reckless fouls and a brutal dive attempt to draw a PK by an american in early minutes. Something we didn't see from our guys.

EDIT: That play by Jenkins (Jam) in the 43rd summarizes everything everything i said: a fantastic run where he beats several midfielders but the play dies in the US box becasue he as no support and/ or he gets too selfish..

I think Jamaica looked better in the first half than Panama did in their first. Jamaica's managed to pick apart the American defense a little and get some chances that Panama couldn't, whereas the only American scoring opportunity was the one they scored on. Jamaica, astonishingly, has a lot more creativity and flow to their game than the Americans. It's playing to a stereotype to say it but the Americans are strong, athletic, and reasonably well-organized but simply can't play their way out of trouble. Their defenders are doing a good job dealing with most, but not all, of the Jamaican tricks with the ball at their feet.

I watched the final group game the other day but today when I log into the CONCACAF TV site and click on the USA-JAM game I keep getting 'sorry, the event id was not recognized' message in the TV panel. Anybody have any suggestions?

Well done. I installed the latest Flash player in the meantime but that link works. P*sses me off as I had the same issues at my work site today and missed the Can-Pan game.

But thanks Lord B.

Jamaica just showed us how not to play as a team. Four or five Jamaicans refusing to pass sensibly, thinking "I am the alpha male" and playing themselves into trouble until it's too late to get out of it. Poor communication. A hysterically bad set piece, a fairly obvious red card, and an insurance goal from the Americans. It's the Battle of English-Speaking Continental North America for the title.

Jamaica just showed us how not to play as a team. Four or five Jamaicans refusing to pass sensibly, thinking "I am the alpha male" and playing themselves into trouble until it's too late to get out of it. Poor communication. A hysterically bad set piece, a fairly obvious red card, and an insurance goal from the Americans. It's the Battle of English-Speaking Continental North America for the title.

A couple REALLY bad set pieces, some "captain" there. That kid was complaining all match and as you said trying to be the "alpha male" Im sure if the second free kick had a better angle he would have gone for goal again hahaha. I honestly thought they might tie it if not for the selfish play of some of their players and if they could actually put a ball in the box!

Anyways Canada Vs. USA gotta love it

Yes. I agree entirely but then again the thing about this level of soccer is that its equally or more about the player and his abilities than the tactical sense. In the long run, what the Jamaicans players seriously lacked are things that can be learned. I'll bet that a scout would seen more prospects on the Jamaican side rather than the Americans. That's why typically I ignore U17 international competitions. Except for the fact that this (for Canada) was the first one where we sent players developed through an academy. so it was first real test of progress for Canada, a barometer of sorts. Were the circumstances different, I wouldn't have paid too attention.

Which brings me to another point. This is the kind of level of soccer where a coach can cut a players like Owen H but cant ignore someone like Wyn Belotte. Someone like Belotte is unmissable and you cant ignore, But what someone like Owen H does are kind of things that are only noticeable and appreciated at more more advanced levels of the game. Belotte was in a good academy, but he was in too much of rush to turn pro. Thats why, if you look at all he names that have played at the U17 WC in the past 20 yrs, you wont recognize more than half of the players.

So refreshing to NOT hear all the "coach bashing" this time around. I suppose 11 goals for, and 0 against, in a tournament at this level seems to stifle most of THAT response. I've always thought that WE, as supporters, don't have much control over the coaching appointments and therefore should keep a positive attitude. Every time we lose a match, at any national level, most of us blame it on a "coaching blunder". I never have and never will. It's always been TOO easy to just simply blame the CSA or the coach. Tomorrow's game will be fantastic if we come out it with a win. But, then if we should lose, there will still be those of us out there who are once again ready to question and berate all those who organize and coach. I see progress. Hope most of you do too.

So refreshing to NOT hear all the "coach bashing" this time around. I suppose 11 goals for, and 0 against, in a tournament at this level seems to stifle most of THAT response. I've always thought that WE, as supporters, don't have much control over the coaching appointments and therefore should keep a positive attitude. Every time we lose a match, at any national level, most of us blame it on a "coaching blunder". I never have and never will. It's always been TOO easy to just simply blame the CSA or the coach. Tomorrow's game will be fantastic if we come out it with a win. But, then if we should lose, there will still be those of us out there who are once again ready to question and berate all those who organize and coach. I see progress. Hope most of you do too.

+100

Edit: I can understand the coaches being criticized at the MNT level when we can see the game but the criticisms of youth coaches is sometimes really surprising because we rarely have the opportunity to watch their game.

TBH we have no control over anything with respect to any Canadian team. Of course we cannot control who the players are, what teams we play, what tactics we use or who the coach is. We can only show up to games and provide support, but if we as the supporters don't question tactics, and player and coaching appointments then who will? I understand your point and agree, in general people waste way too much energy on things tehy cant control and neglect the things they can control but as fans we don't really have any control over anything.

I can't think of a single sport where coaches/managers/players don't get bashed when they lose and praised when they win, usually most vociferously by the most dedicated fans. You have to be very naive to think that fans will keep a "positive attitude" when your team's losing. Even if you can do like The Ed. Oilers did and sell the fan base on building for the future, for the hardcore supporters it only lasts about a half season before the knives come out.

My deal on "positive" is that we as supporters on a "public forum" are also being read by the players themselves. We Christmas card them. We fly our banners at their (our) games. We Are SUPPOSED to be their fan club. I'm just saying that let's try to be more FAN - PRO than FAN - CON. There actually IS stuff going on out there in our CSA/MNT world that is "positive". I think our boys deserve OUR "positive recognition". I'm more of the ilk that favors "If you don't have anything GOOD to say -- Don't say it at all"

My deal on "positive" is that we as supporters on a "public forum" are also being read by the players themselves. We Christmas card them. We fly our banners at their (our) games. We Are SUPPOSED to be their fan club. I'm just saying that let's try to be more FAN - PRO than FAN - CON. There actually IS stuff going on out there in our CSA/MNT world that is "positive". I think our boys deserve OUR "positive recognition". I'm more of the ilk that favors "If you don't have anything GOOD to say -- Don't say it at all"

Does a parent praise a bad grade? No... but at the end of the day who loves you the most. The players know they have our support no matter what but its also our job as fans to call a spade a spade. Just like no one will be afraid to say that was a great U17 tournament by our boys and now lets build towards the World Cup

Archived