Canada bidding for FIFA Women’s World Cup 2015

tovan1

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Geez Louise Vic,

You sure know how to incite a riot! LMAO. Oy vey! Yes, I embrace FIFA's non-altruistic attempts to change culture through sport but it saddens me that there are currently only 2 countries biddin for a WOMEN'S WORLD CUP. What's wrong with that picture? Why isn't half the world trying to secure an amazing sports property? I don't understand. Can someone explain this to me?

Geez Louise Vic,

You sure know how to incite a riot! LMAO. Oy vey! Yes, I embrace FIFA's non-altruistic attempts to change culture through sport but it saddens me that there are currently only 2 countries biddin for a WOMEN'S WORLD CUP. What's wrong with that picture? Why isn't half the world trying to secure an amazing sports property? I don't understand. Can someone explain this to me?

Go to any website that contains a database where you can look up scholarly, peer reviewed journals and search "Devaluation of Womens Sport". You should find an answer from that.

...I embrace FIFA's non-altruistic attempts to change culture through sport but it saddens me that there are currently only 2 countries biddin for a WOMEN'S WORLD CUP. What's wrong with that picture? Why isn't half the world trying to secure an amazing sports property? I don't understand. Can someone explain this to me?

Personally, I am putting my rose colored glasses on and going with: Obviously everyone knows that Canada has shown they have the ability to host such an event and Canada has a great record of supporting women's soccer. They figured that once Canada announced that they were bidding, they had a lock on the tournament, so everyone else has already started to concentrate on their 2019 applications because there was no point in even trying for 2015.

Personally, I am putting my rose colored glasses on and going with: Obviously everyone knows that Canada has shown they have the ability to host such an event and Canada has a great record of supporting women's soccer. They figured that once Canada announced that they were bidding, they had a lock on the tournament, so everyone else has already started to concentrate on their 2019 applications because there was no point in even trying for 2015.

I have never seen a Canadian so arrogant before. ;)

January 31 was the CSA deadline I believe with a March FIFA deadline.

Any OFFICIAL word from CSA on bidding cities?

I'm starting to think that Moncton is out as Ian Fowler the head of Moncton Events said he'd back before Council by Jan 31 whether they should procced and he was not

City wants piece of 2015 event

If Canada is successful in its bid to host the 2015 women's World Cup, Kingston is ready to play a supporting role.

"We've met with Soccer Canada," Rob Carnegie, the city's director of tourism, marketing and development, said Thursday.

"It's too large an event for us to host, but what we've done is express how much we would like to support it," he said.

"If there's any opportunity for any exhibition games or training camps or anything of that nature, we'd be willing and would like to talk or discuss any opportunities."

http://www.thewhig.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2973091

any word on which cities are interested in hosting yet?

I know Vancouver and Halifax are interested and their respective councils still need to vote on it. Any others?

http://www.lfpress.com/sports/soccer/2011/02/15/17291761.html

The article is about Edmonton being in on hosting and includes the following...

Vancouver, Winnipeg, Montreal, Ottawa, Montreal, Moncton, and Halifax are the other Canadian cities involved in the bid for the tournament, which will be expanded from 16 to 24 teams.

You'll notice Montreal comes up twice in there; that's because QMI Agency doesn't have a copy-editor, or if they do it's an illiterate three-year-old, because errors like this are extremely common in their papers.

Just a reminder of the excuses used last time to explain not winning the bid.

Germany picked over Canada as soccer host

October 30, 2007

ZURICH, Switzerland – The Canadian Soccer Association suffered another setback Tuesday, losing out to Germany in the race to host the 2011 women's World Cup.

Canada earned kudos from FIFA president Sepp Blatter but defending champion Germany ended up with the tournament.

Canada had showed "what football can be in a country where so far football was not the sport No. 1," Blatter said after the Canadian presentation earlier in the day at FIFA headquarters. "We appreciate what you've done and we have good hopes for you and what you can do in the future.

"But we are in a competition and in competition there is always a winner and a loser."

Also Tuesday, FIFA confirmed Brazil as host of the 2014 men's tournament. The South Americans were the only bidders.

On the women's side, it came down to Germany and Canada after Australia, France and Peru withdrew their bids. Switzerland had also shown interest, according to FIFA.

"Everybody agreed at the FIFA level, everybody told us that our presentation was very, very good, and they said better than the German one," Dominic Maestracci, chairman of the board for the Canadian Soccer Association, told The Canadian Press. "We did our best."

The Canadian presentation was based on improving the level of women's soccer, playing up what hosting the tournament would do for the sport. Germany already has a high-level domestic women's scene.

"I told them I know this is a very difficult choice you have to make but I will tell you what are the reasons why Canada must be chosen," Maestracci said. "But they didn't agree with me."

While Maestracci said the Canadian bid was the equal of Germany's, he pointed to several reasons for the German win:

1) France's withdrawal from the competition upped European support for German bid.

2) The influence of German legend Franz Beckenbauer, a member of FIFA's executive committee.

3) Germany arrived with a full delegation, including top politicians. Maestracci says the federal government sent a video rather than a cabinet minister.

4) Negative fallout of the Chilean team scuffle with police at the FIFA U-20 World Cup in Toronto.

5) The U.S. hosted the event in 1999 and 2003, making another North American host less attractive.

All that notwithstanding, Maestracci said that as Blatter was poised to open the envelope, "I was thinking that Canada will win."

A bid for 2015 is likely, he said.

The Canadian delegation featured Maestracci, Canadian team goalie Erin McLeod, Peter Monotopoli, who was event director of the FIFA U-20 World Cup, and Walter Sieber, vice-president of the Canadian Olympic Committee and a longtime FIFA tournament official.

Canadian coach Even Pellerud was not brought along because the Canadian delegation held open the fifth available spot for a politician, who was never forthcoming.

It's been a rough year for the Canadian association, which is currently without a technical director and chief administrator.

Former president Colin Linford quit in late August, decrying the organization's makeup. The association is also the subject of a wrongful dismissal suit from Fred Nykamp, over his aborted hiring as chief executive officer.

The Canadian women, meanwhile, failed to advance past the first round at the World Cup in China.

Back home, a group of dissident Canadian soccer fans lamented the missed 2011 chance.

"Canadian soccer, and Canada itself, has lost a tremendous opportunity here," Dino Rossi, co-founder of Canadian Soccer Supporters United, said in a statement. "One can only imagine what impact the women's World Cup would have had for Canadian soccer, especially to the women's program."

The group alleged the Canadian bid was sunk by FIFA unrest at a domestic constitution that does not give each province equal voting rights.

The Canadian constitution awards votes depending on a province's contribution via player enrolment levies with a voting cap at 25 per cent per province.

Spokesman Richard Scott said in Ottawa that the Canadian Soccer Association went to FIFA a year ago to seek advice on its constitution. But revamping the voting procedure is not high on the association's to do list, he said.

Buoyed by the success of the inaugural women's under-19 tournament, Canada had originally planned to bid for the 2007 Women's World Cup.

But that changed after the 2003 edition was moved to the U.S. from China because of the SARS epidemic. FIFA promised the 2007 tournament to China, prompting the Canadian Soccer Association to turn its attention to the men's U-20 World Cup while focusing on the 2011 women's event.

In its final presentation earlier Tuesday, Germany listed 11 reasons it should stage the event, but mainly sold itself as "the land of football."

Germany produced FIFA's most financially successful World Cup in 2006, and the German women won this year's World Cup without conceding a goal.

"This is a great honour for us. We could not absolutely expect it," said Ursula von der Leyen, Germany's minister for women and youth. "We offer a stage for the world to be our guest."

The Germans have 12 cities to stage games, with the opener in Berlin and the final in Frankfurt.

Other cities are Augsburg, Bielefeld, Bochum, Dresden, Essen, Leverkusen, Magdeburg, Moenchengladbach, Sinsheim and Wolfsburg, if FIFA raises the number of finalists to 24. If the number remains at 16 countries, some of the cities are likely to be dropped.

Tournament dates have not been set yet.

Notes: Scott says the CSA is attempting to revisit the issue of hosting the CONCACAF women's Olympic qualifying tournament. Scott said the association had received offers to host the event from both the Vancouver Whitecaps and Quebec Soccer Federation. CONCACAF says it is dealing with another country but has taken the Canadian question under advisement, according to Scott.

Pics of the bid book drop off are in the CSA photgallery on the frontpage here www.canadasoccer.com Btw why can't they just courier the bid book over instead of flying everyone in?

How would Gary Lunn get a FIFA banner?

How would Sepp be sure we have agreed to not apply federal law to the event ?

How would the consultant get to talk to the decision makers and go into the back rooms in Zurich ?

How would you have a photo op with such distinguised middle age men deciding on women's sport ?

Coach Rich first class air tickets... first class hotels .... ( green pages for Gary Lunn and entourage ) heck you have to wonder why they did not ask Rona Ambrose Minister for Women and Public Works to tag along to at least let the presentation have a feminine side.

This is all just protocol. You can't win at poker unless you ante up. People like David Beckham, the crown prince of Qatar, the deupty Prime Minister of Russia, Ruud Gullit, and Johan Cryuff delivered the men's bids.

We could have sent Celine Dion and Sylvia Burtini, but as an English reporter said pre-decision when he predicted their losing losing bid: "we have on our side David Beckham and one jolly royal but we do not have the benefit, Thompson aside, of a veteran of the politicking that is crucial to the lifeblood of Fifa and the committee." We've probably been working on bringing this tournament here for almost a decade. I don't think it's an accident who we sent. It was well thought-out.

I could be wrong but I also doubt Gary Lunn uses CSA expense forms.

You hear a lot about how professionally Australia is run and how they are a model for Canada. Consider this element of their 2022 bid a couple of months ago:

"Two controversial European lobbyists hired to help bring the soccer World Cup to Australia stand to receive up to $11.37 million in fees and bonuses – one-quarter of the taxpayer-funded bid – according to secret Football Federation Australia files."

http://pitchinvasion.net/blog/2010/07/01/paying-peter-hargitay-the-price-of-a-world-cup-bid

Just a reminder of the excuses used last time to explain not winning the bid.

While Maestracci said the Canadian bid was the equal of Germany's, he pointed to several reasons for the German win:

1) France's withdrawal from the competition upped European support for German bid.

2) The influence of German legend Franz Beckenbauer, a member of FIFA's executive committee.

3) Germany arrived with a full delegation, including top politicians. Maestracci says the federal government sent a video rather than a cabinet minister.

4) Negative fallout of the Chilean team scuffle with police at the FIFA U-20 World Cup in Toronto.

5) The U.S. hosted the event in 1999 and 2003, making another North American host less attractive.

I've highlighted the ones that should have been 1-2-3 rather than 1-2-5. Reality is that "negative fallout" is a rationalization rather than a reason.

You hear a lot about how professionally Australia is run and how they are a model for Canada. Consider this element of their 2022 bid a couple of months ago:

"Two controversial European lobbyists hired to help bring the soccer World Cup to Australia stand to receive up to $11.37 million in fees and bonuses – one-quarter of the taxpayer-funded bid – according to secret Football Federation Australia files."

http://pitchinvasion.net/blog/2010/07/01/paying-peter-hargitay-the-price-of-a-world-cup-bid

This is the part that worries me - it shows that a professionally run association believed it had to play dirty to play at all, and the problem with professional, open organizations is that they are inept at playing dirty.

I suppose with the way CSA has been operating recently you could argue that it doesn't take being professional and open to create ineptitude.

It's my belief that the fix has been in for a long time and we will be informed of it in due course; I just don't know which way the fix has gone. I have my suspicions though.

I could be OTL and have been looking at something else, but I seem to remember reading it somewhere recently and noticed both Atlantic cities. Halifax could go either way, I read the local government driver was still pursuing funds from alternate sources after Lunn made clear their is no infrastructure money attached to the bid.

Anyone who doubts what hosting a full Women's World Cup can bring should read these case studies.

Benefits of hosting FIFA‘s other World Cup events

Archived