Canada bidding for FIFA Women’s World Cup 2015

tovan1

Well if that happens I hope it's not Canada. Because A: they don't deserve it for the reasons above and B: it didn't work out too well when Canada had to split games in Toronto and Edmonton at the U20.

I'm thinking if it happens you may see the US play in Toronto, simply because they are the closest to the US, aside from Vancouver. Since the news said one match, I kinda wonder whether it would be a playoff game (Quarterfinal or Semi-Final). I assume the Final will be played either at BC Place or Commonwealth Stadium simply because of capacity. I have a sneaking suspicion that warmup games might somehow find their way into BMO Field.

Now this was posted in the comments section of the TSN story, so whether it is true or not remains to be seen. But it was mentioned that Toronto could not host anything since the agreement between Toronto and the Pan-Am Games forbids it from hosting any World competition before the games. If that is true, then none of the FIFA events associated with this event could be held in Toronto (nor could one of my favorite events and one basically guaranteed to Toronto, the World Baseball Classic in 2013).

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For purely selfish reasons, I do.

But I have to say it's actually a little refreshing that we won't be involved. Ottawa and Montreal are close enough for a road trip, although who really needs another excuse to hit the road in the summer? Hoping that the cities involved can make something special out of it.

Not really that upset as a Torontonian. It looks bad on us but it'll give me an excuse to get away from the PAN-AM games to the other host cities!

Maybe this is a stupid question, but if Qatar can be mooted as a winter competition, what keeps WWC in June instead of, say, late August/September?

Yup, I dont get that either. haven't read all the issues but why the inflexibility in regards to the dates for the WWC? its not like there is a FIFA calendar out there that must be adhered to.

^A quick review of WWCs:

1991 (China): Held in November(!)

1995 (Sweden): June

1999 (USA): June/July

2003 (USA): September/October

2007 (China): September

2011 (Germany): June/July

I think it's pretty important to have it in the summer months so you can get the kids out to matches, but I think there should be no problem having it in August.

China is in the Southern hemisphere and it's usually 30C in September. The only non-summer event was the USA in 2003 and it was the result of a last-minute switch from China because of SARS.

I'm afraid you are incorrect. China's range of latitude is roughly that of the continental US. In some of their cities they do suffer from smog and humidity during the summer though. Of course the 2008 Olympics were held in August.

Geographically not just incorrect, but abysmally incorrect. Point still valid though - the only time the event was held in weather even remotely similar to a Canadian Fall was due to a last-minute change brought about by SARS.

Geographically not just incorrect, but abysmally incorrect. Point still valid though - the only time the event was held in weather even remotely similar to a Canadian Fall was due to a last-minute change brought about by SARS.

Better a Canadian Fall than a Canadian Spring.

We have much nicer Autumns than Springs.

Internationals can come see the wonderfull fall colours.

Anyway Moncton Mayor confident

http://www.news919.com/news/local/article/192579--mayor-optimistic-moncton-will-become-a-soccer-host-city

And since I'm at it.

If T-O wants in now after failing to bid CSA should make the city pay 20 times the cost of the non-refundable bid cost if the GTA wants in now that the event is assured.

As a Monctonian, you might not want to listen to this Fan590 interview with the smug, Toronto-centric jerk, Cathal Kelly. Never liked his writing and now like him even less. The Bobcat baits him accordingly.

My issue isn't with Toronto and the city should've been part of the bid.

But what does this do to a bid process if any city can sit back not put in a bid and be assured of hosting.

I dunno what happens when another event comes along......will other cities put up a bid bond......will Toronto say: Hey we don't need to put up a bid bond they'll come crawling to us.

More what precedent will be set rather than the location.

It's a really interesting dilemma, like a diamond sparkling with offsetting angles of ethics, money, rights, responsibility, etc. It's one of those damned if you do and damned if you don't things. I wouldn't wish that decision on anyone.

It's a really interesting dilemma, like a diamond sparkling with offsetting angles of ethics, money, rights, responsibility, etc. It's one of those damned if you do and damned if you don't things. I wouldn't wish that decision on anyone.

The best of all this is that we have cities willing to put up bid bonds in the few 100 thousand $ for a WOMENS SOCCER EVENT.

Can anybody imagine this even 10 years ago.

CSA would've pleaded with cities to even try something.

Soccer's come a long ways in a very short time.

How much money would first round games bring to a city's tourist industry? At a minimum visitors would be staying for a week. Even if you only had 3000 (a very conservative estimate I would think) spending $50 a day that would be over $1 million and it probably would be much higher.

How much money would first round games bring to a city's tourist industry? At a minimum visitors would be staying for a week. Even if you only had 3000 (a very conservative estimate I would think) spending $50 a day that would be over $1 million and it probably would be much higher.

The Moncton bid was $20,000 to be considered, $200,000 to be in the final bid and a promise of trading off more investment for providing city workers for free. What was called a labour for investment trade off.

Now if Moncton isn't accepted the city is out $220,000 in bid money in a year where snow removal is $2 million over budget.

How would this sit if some cities get in without even putting up the bid bond.

Yes this could be a cash cow not only in what is spent in the city but also in the free advertising by being in the event.

Witness the last CFL game in Moncton what would that cost the city in tourism adverts compared to what was spent on the game.

Moncton calls it sports tourism. Which is why the city built 25 Slo-Pitch fields to host National Rec Championships.

Small sport event but fills hotels and food places for the next 10 years.

A stupid antique car show that closes Main St every summer with a 100,00o people isn't about the cars. It's about hotel rooms and food places and bars.

It's not always the profile of an event but how many does it bing in.

• 4 weeks later...

IF FIFA wanted grass they lost their window of opportunity to demand it. That doesn't mean double-standard, it's just a reflection of the hosting supply and demand realities.

The Ottawa stadium is absolutely going ahead. There is no court approval required. City council voted on the proposal and committed to it. The OMB hearing on the zoning is in May. I'm not sure when the Heritage is. Regardless though, if there are problems/issues with either they'll be adjusted for and resolved. They'll begin digging in the Fall. There are a bunch of grandstanding politicians trying to mount a legal challenge, but they have little support outside of the usual vested-interest NIMBY's and anti-sports community. They'll stir the pot as far as their dollars take them (which they're unsurprisingly running out of quickly) but it's senseless waste. There may be some sheikh or local community group in Qatar mounting a similar legal challenge, but they have about as much relevance. They're wildcard and rogue to a process that has been committed to by all parties and is already underway.

This is a little nicer view:

Ottawa_LPP_Stadium_Proposal.JPG

CSA will be in Moncton today to inspect things

http://timestranscript.canadaeast.com/news/article/1396997

Just noticed there is a typo in the article.

Rocky Stone Field is a 5,000 seat turf field at Centennial Park and the CN Sportplex is the 4-Ice Centre, SportsDome. 10 Baseball and 6 grass Soccer fields. With little seating

Not one in the same as indicated in the article.

Okay Field Turf.....................humour...............and Rocky Stone is only being looked at as a practice field.

The boys view the stadium.

http://timestranscript.canadaeast.com/news/article/1397461

What I wonder if has been reported that the CSA was here in October and encouraged the city to put in a bid.........

What's to be gained by this visit in April.........the fields have mostly been under up to 6ft of snow through allot of the time since.

Oh, and before the no hotel posts start check hotels.com obviously allot of lower end are not there.

IF FIFA wanted grass they lost their window of opportunity to demand it. That doesn't mean double-standard, it's just a reflection of the hosting supply and demand realities.

The Ottawa stadium is absolutely going ahead. There is no court approval required. City council voted on the proposal and committed to it. The OMB hearing on the zoning is in May. I'm not sure when the Heritage is. Regardless though, if there are problems/issues with either they'll be adjusted for and resolved. They'll begin digging in the Fall. There are a bunch of grandstanding politicians trying to mount a legal challenge, but they have little support outside of the usual vested-interest NIMBY's and anti-sports community. They'll stir the pot as far as their dollars take them (which they're unsurprisingly running out of quickly) but it's senseless waste. There may be some sheikh or local community group in Qatar mounting a similar legal challenge, but they have about as much relevance. They're wildcard and rogue to a process that has been committed to by all parties and is already underway.

This is a little nicer view:

Ottawa_LPP_Stadium_Proposal.JPG

The stadium Ottawa could have ..cheap and fast ... convert the empty Lynx Ball stadium.

http://pgepark.io-media.com/

Archived